Notices

Supplements & Diet

Old 01-20-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Supplements & Diet

Loving how supportiive everyone has been on here.

Its only day 1 for me. Yet, was wondering if anyone has a solid diet plan or idea to help JumpStart my new healthy, no alcohol process.

Also, I smoke cigs and green. Scared to just cut everything out at once thoughts?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep it simple, one thing at a time, focus on Sobriety and develop those Sober muscles, for me that took a few months, then you can take on the world with exercise and diet.

People are different, but I needed to focus on one thing at a time, simple things are more fluids, plenty of water and juices, I started to do more walking in the evenings, more so though to kill time, the time I used to spend drinking, more herbal teas etc.

Be patient, a new life can't be created overnight, Sobriety is the foundation and take things from there!!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I bought a liquid multi-vitamin because i couldnt really eat much, so the first 2 days i stuck with soup and water. Also valerian root and melatonin at night helped me relax. I slept like garbage the first 3 nights and the 4th day may blood preassure spiked to 198 over 140 and i had to go to the urgent care to get it down. Be careful and if you can have someone you trust either stay with you or stay with someone you are close to.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hey MTB

If you are looking for a diet plan, you may want to talk to a registered dietician.

I think your concern over cutting out too much at once is warranted. Maybe just focus on your sobriety for now, and then tackle the other things.

More power to you MDB!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with purple knight. If you're like me, simply not drinking alcohol took every shred of will and grit I could summon that first month. And there were plenty of chocolate shakes in that first month. Healthy diet is always good but if some treats help with cravings let yourself have them.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you can, just put some leafy greens or broccoli in your day somewhere. You will feel good.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is just me, so bare with me. But I found the alcohol and green went together. This may not be the same for you but I couldn't stop one without stopping the other. I tried many times to quit one or the other. I had to stop finding a buzz, and they both did the same thing too me, it let me escape away into myself. Again, this is just me.

Cigs on the other hand, that is waiting until I have the resources within myself to fight that one as well. it is coming, just not today. I have cut down drastically though without the other two things clouding my habits.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I switched to vaping instead of cigs. I didn't have withdrawal from the nicotine that way, and its cheaper.

As far as diet, Definitely get foods that hydrate you. On my first two weeks, I ate whatever I want. Sugar seems to help out even if it's unhealthy.

I agree with the above though: Keep sobriety at the forefront of your mind. One thing at a time.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Its up to you i know a lot of ppl who use vapes vapor things to help

Dont overthink things take it by the day
Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MTB81

I found dark green veggies (kale, Swiss chard, Bol Choy and collared greens) mix well together with a high quality blender

I added pickled beets for their detoxing effect and raw garlic and ginger for proper liver detoxing

This mix isn't very appetizing, but the detoxing powers of these foods, coupled with 30 minutes cardio, has helped me immensely with my sleeping, anxiety and overall health these last three weeks
Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Mikie I found that things were interconnected. Cigs made me crave pot which led back to drinking or pot made me want to drink which made me smoke cigs, or vice versa.

I had to give everything up at once.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Before thinking about taking supplements, please read this:
Herbals_and_Dietary_Supplements
Old 01-20-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I really had to focus on vitamins. Multi vitamin, b vitamin. Emergen c and berocca really helped. Easier to keep down. Chamomille tea helped with the insomnia. Great job keep it up.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

I stopped the pot and alcohol at the same time, wish I gave up the cigs, too. Sobriety was important, now it's time to quit the cigs.

You can do this! Just eat well, the alcohol changes the pH of the digestive system, so some things aren't yet absorbed.

As suggested, see a nutritionist for a good diet to follow.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have a good multivitamin and some fish oils that make me happy. I also like to take vitamin c tablets. Drink plenty of water and eat a well balanced diet. Protekn/carbs/good fats. Just take it one day at a time and don't pick up that first drink!