Notices

I could really use some advice

Old 01-20-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I could really use some advice

I'm 33 and been drinking since 16-17. I've gotten in trouble with the law a few times, always due to alcohol. The longest I've stop was for boot camp. I'm a lot different person now. Than, I was prior to the service. Yet, I still binge bad numerous times a month. I just can't live like this anymore. I have a great but high stress director level job. Yet, Im making poor choices when I drink that eat at me and cause stress. Also, I spend or shld say waste tons of money causing me even more stress.

I'm really feeling pushed to the edge and want to be the person I know I can. I believe if I take alcohol out of my life most of these issues will go as well. I'm just scared. Today is my day 1.

Can anyone give me ideas how to successfully go about this and maybe some detox or food choices to make things easier. I mean really any advice that's worked for you to ease the transistion and set myself up for success would be so appreicated.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Detox is hard but it's definitely worth it.

Its always best to talk to a dr because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

For me, I ate what felt good at the time, trying to choose healthy food and lots of water.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi MTB i just want to say your making a wise choice staying sober i got sober at 31 im 32 now & 18 months sober its the best decision i ever made you too can turn this around

For me it starts with acceptance and then taking action to make change a recovery plan seriously helps with this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the beginning I tried not to be soo hard on myself, if I felt like sleeping or crashing in front of the TV, playing online games I did it, the main thing was to clock up those Sober days and build those Sober muscles anyway I could, because at first I didn't have much energy for much else.

Listen to your body and give it what it needs, it's gonna take time but things will get better!!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MTB81

There's been some good advice here already...I always recommend seeing a Dr, cos detox can be problematic for some of us.

I didn't want to drink again. Most of my first 30 days was all about that,m and learning to reach out for support.

I really threw myself into this community. SR really helped me turn things around.

I know we can help you too

D
Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome my friend! This place is great and please post as much as you want and share in the same way, as much as you want.

For me to get going I had to change my habits. Coming home and getting buzzed was my hobby and it ruined any chance for anything else.

My advice is just my experience, we are all different. I slept when I was tired, I ate when I was hungry, and I exercised when I had extra energy. The hardest part was the perception of boredom. I learned i wasn't any more bored than when I was drunk, but my brain wasn't releasing those feel good chemicals anymore. It took awhile for them to start coming around again naturally, so be ready for some "down" moods. When those hit I come here. Anything really to distract myself, because when you don't drink, it passes.

Stay close, we all relate to you and your experiences.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lots of water, good wholesome food, and stay close to here reading , learning and reminding yourself why you don't drink anymore. Congrats on your first day, treat it like a business treats that first dollar and build on it.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chocolate ice cream
Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Are you still in the military. Sometimes if you self identify, there is no consequences. If you are no longer in, the VA may be able to help.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with others: racking up the sober days in the beginning is the most important thing. I always ate healthy before sobriety (well, as healthy as you could while consuming a couple bottles of wine a week). When I first became sober, I ate a lot of sweets and carbs--things I never ate a lot of before. I'm sure I was compensating for the loss of sugar from the wine I no longer drank. I also slept a lot that first month. For others, exercising intensely and eating well helps. Do what works for you, and by work I mean stay sober.

Work stress was a huge trigger for me, and I realized that if I wanted long term sobriety I was going to have to grapple with this issue. While I couldn't really eliminate that stress (I'm in a supervisory role too) I could do something about my response to it. I refuse to
Work myself to exhaustion and allow work stress to compromise my sobriety. Not my monkey, not my circus is my new Mantra.

Post here often too: folks here are a tremendous and generous resource.

Take care! Sending you positive and supportive thoughts.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

About the food: I can honestly say that chocolate saved my life. When I would get those white-hot full body cravings in early sobriety, eating large amounts of chocolate eased the craving by 80 percent.

Not a sweets person? Never too late to start!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome to the forum, MTB

Well done on your decision to get sober.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

1) Stop drinking and go to your doctor immediately and tell him/her you want to stop drinking immediately. Tell them how much you have been drinking so that they can prescribe medication for you if you need it. Some people need it when they quit and some people don't. But quitting cold turkey can be dangerous, so go see your doctor

2) get some sleep, eat a little, throw out all the empty bottles and remaining alcohol out of your house. Never....I repeat.....NEVER....drink again. Under any circumstances. You are a non drinker now, end of story

3) Read through this forum for 30 or 40 hours if you can. All the questions and problems are in here and all the answers too. We are all like you and have been there. Let me give you an example, I also have two sons, I am alcoholic and I drank for 27 years steady without ever quitting. I quit 9 weeks ago and have not looked back. Trust me, if I can, you can. Research AA and AVRT in particular, they are very different tools you can use to recover and both can be used in parallel. Google them and read this site.

4) Don't drink....ever

5) Learn about addictions and how they manipulate your mind and how you can over come them. Learn about what triggered you to drink and how to prevent them. Learn about cravings and how to handle them. Use all this to write yourself a Recovery Plan. This plan will be your personal blueprint. I did all this in my first sober month and wrote a similar plan and it was massively helpful.

So now you know what to do.....the rest of up to you. How badly do you want to get sober? For me I knew drinking was destroying my life and I had no choice but to make all of the above my first priority.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm taking this so seriously.