Notices

First aa meeting today

Old 01-19-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First aa meeting today

Hope I'm not being too much with two threads in two days, but i found a meeting within a short bus distance (I don't have a licence) at midday today, so I'm going to try and go.
I've read about it all online but still not sure what to expect or if it's right for me, very unlike me to do something like this and I guess it just helps to put it into the world by posting here that I'm both nervous and hopeful
It's 9am here now so just a few hours away eek
Old 01-19-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi immri, I too went to my first aa meeting feeling like you. It was both petrifying and yet an hour later liberating...good on you..Let us know how you got on
Old 01-19-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Let us know how it goes, immri.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck Immri let us know how it goes
Old 01-19-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope it all goes well!!
Old 01-19-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will be welcomed and you can say that you are new and scared. Everyone will understand. They will see your eyes and remember where they were or are, so feel safe and listen and let yourself receive. Blessings.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do hope the meeting goes well.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope you have a good meeting!
The first one is always epic!
Xoxo
Old 01-19-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been to a couple of meetings, and there is nothing to be afraid of. Go and observe, that's all you are doing. After the hour decide if you want to go back, there is no obligation immri. It is just a bunch of folks like us. If what they talk about doesn't interest you, you don't have to go back. you aren't "going to aa" by going to one meeting I have been to a few and I am still not "in AA" if that makes sense. Like tonight I tried yoga instead. Tomorrow night I may go to a meeting, who knows.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Immri, let us know how it went... Good or bad!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your support guys, I actually loved it, it was just lots of people speaking about their experience and so much I related too
I wish I hadn't had a valium this morning because it made me a bit sleepy but I was prescribed it for withdrawals
Considering going to another one close by tonight
Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you liked it, go again!!! I am so glad you found some familiarity in what you heard today. Don't worry about the valium, just don't take 5 a day <-- I need to watch my jokes
Old 01-20-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good on ya!
Considering going to another one tells me something hit.
I'd suggest only going to meetings on the days ya drank, and if I'm not mistaken when ya drank ya were up to every day.
Also get a big book.the first 164 pages talks about what we are up against and the solution and it's a pretty good solution with lots of promises.
Until ya get a big book, you can google " big book online" and read it.
Look for a sponsor. To find out what a sponsor is, google" questions and answers on sponsorship." should explain it for ya.

Here's some promises from the bb:
...He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end.

We have shown how we got out from under. You say, "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.

"How is that to come about?" you ask. "Where am I to find these people?"

You are going to meet these new friends in your own community.

That's only a little bit.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You'll likely be warmly received at any AA meeting you go to.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by immri View Post
Thanks so much for your support guys, I actually loved it, it was just lots of people speaking about their experience and so much I related too
I wish I hadn't had a valium this morning because it made me a bit sleepy but I was prescribed it for withdrawals
Considering going to another one close by tonight

So glad you had a good experience, Immri

Personally, I like AA , I have a good meeting near me and have made some sober friends.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I ended up going to another one after that first on Tuesday, and another after work today, my favourite yet - felt reallyyy welcome and comfortable with the big mix of people and strong women too
A few women just a few years older than me which was nice too, I got some numbers and am going to a meeting with one of the girls tomorrow in a different part of town
I'm so glad I went
Still not sure about the actual 12 step thing to be honest I'm still ignorant and confused but I'm open minded, Im just feeling out the meeting thing first I guess? Not sure what else to do but I guess that'll come..
Thanks for the support guys, thanks for listening
Old 01-22-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Immri

Awesome news well done you !
Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have 1 year of sobriety through the program of AA, it works...it really does. best of luck to you.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations and good for you.
I’m so glad you felt you fit in and were comfortable. I suggest that you don’t rush all the questions in your mind and adopt the slogan “EASY DOES IT.”
In looking back the most important thing I heard was “KEEP COMING BACK.” The reason was I needed to change the way I was trying to get sober.
I also had to remember that it works IF we work it.

BE WELL
Old 01-22-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting - for people like me who are thinking about it but scared this helps. I'm tryingto make it to a noon meeting around here this week... but I have therapy today and kids activities tonight and my partner doesn't know how bad I really am so if I say I'm going to AA she's going to think I'm just drumming up drama. I told her I'm not drinking and that it's kind of hard but didn't say I am an alcoholic to her becuase we're probably going to split and I don't want her to use it against me with the kids...
or when I get back from my business trip - i have to get to the UK next week.