Notices

New to it all

Old 08-10-2004, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to it all

I registered on this site and breathed a sigh of relief. I've been searching for over 4 hours straight now on information on getting help for drug abuse. I'm hoping the experienced people here can help me more than I can help myself.

My niece is doing oxycot. (sp) I have no idea how to help her. What can I say? What can I do? I'm as far away from her geographically as I can be. She's on one coast of the country and I'm on the other.

From what I can gather talking to family no one is helping her. Her father is sticking his head in the sand denying anything, her mother is the one who got her started on it and her aunt that is up there she won't listen to. One grandmother just died recently and the other grandmother is here living with me.

I'm very grateful that these boards are here. I'm going to spend my day reading the posts and hope I can figure out where to start to help my niece.

Nene
Old 08-10-2004, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey VLD...
So glad you joined us here....

Oxycontin seems to be a regularily abused substance around here.. although I'm not familiar with that particular drug... have to read up on it.

You might want to make sure you find support for yourself at the Naranon board further down this forum...

Your niece is lucky to have someone who cares so much about her.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nene,

Welcome! Your caring and support will be valuable to your neice, but there is not really too much you can do unless she says she wants help. It takes a lot of motivation to fight an addiction and unfortunately it's not usually something that can be achieved without really wanting to be clean/sober.

If you like, also check out the NarAnon forum on this board which is for families and friends of drug addicts and you'll find others there, who are in similar situations to yours. Good luck.

Anna
Old 08-10-2004, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I read more information from the posts. Read some of the process of recovery. I guess the first step is getting her to realize she has a problem.

I think the one thing I can do right now is I'm going to sit and write her a letter. Not an email, but a letter she can ball up and throw across the room because she won't like what she reads. I'm going to tell her I love her and no matter what I'll be here for her. I'm going to include a print out of a list of questions asking "Am I an Addict". I'll send her information on who to contact in her city for help.

I imagine she's going to be awfully mad at me.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peace2u

Nene,
Well...put yourself in her shoes and remember what it was like to be her age.
She's lucky to have you in her life. I think a letter is a wonderful idea.