Notices

I Want to Feel Normal Again

Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Want to Feel Normal Again

I was doing great for a couple months then failed. I drank on and off for a few weeks leading up to last Tuesday. I got drunk and fell asleep outside of a bar. The local cop woke me up and my wife ended up having to pick me up and see me in that state. I am going to get a citation over it too. I feel like a complete failure for one. I am ashamed, embarrassed, and my anxiety is through the roof! It's been almost a week since my last drink but I am so on edge I can barely function. The good in it all is I am now even more determined to get sober than ever! I have a good game plan to stay sober as well. How long until this anxiety leaves and I can feel normal again?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.
Your situation reminds me that “If we don’t pick up the first drink one day at a time in a row, we won’t have to try to get sober AGAIN.”
It’s that simple, no one said it’s easy, but it is doable.

BE WELL
Old 01-19-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know how long the anxiety will last, but there are things you can do to ease it.

Try meditating, listening to relaxing music, doing 'belly breathing', journaling - all those things will help. And, it's important to try to ease the anxiety because it can lead you back to drinking again.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Zack:

I know what I say will not help your current situation, but it does get better. Some wise people on this site said something that really opened my eyes. They simply stated that "you did not get in this condition over night and it will not fix it overnight".

They were exactly right. I have had the same issues. Anxiety, boredom, the "Why's", sleepless nights. But the one thing I will tell you is that all of these things have gotten better when I didn't pick up that first drink. From my own experience, my body needed time to adjust mentally and physically from the poison I was dumping in it for years on end. It gets better man. Keep your chin up and keep moving forward. You will be amazed with the results. I am only early on, but I can already speak from experience on the small improvements in my life. Easy? No. Worth it? YES!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyday you don't drink your anxiety will get better.
I think your ready to quit, I think your realizing alcohol is going to destroy you if u don't stop. That's where I was six months ago, commit to being sober you won't regret it.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello,
you're doing what's called 'white knuckling it'. That's hanging on through the anxiety, fear and remorse while being very anxious and remorseful. It's a bad situation, but it does get better, and it's nothing a drink will make better.
I would try and calm down and figure out how I am going to deal with the consequences of that last drunk. With a clear head as much as you can manage.

I've been in your shoes. And worse. As stated, it all starts with not taking that first drink.
The anxiety will lift after a few days, then comes reality. Have a plan like you do and implement it. And remember, you never have to feel, or go through this, again.
Best to you.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Remembering that is what keeps me sober I don't want to go through it again....
Old 01-19-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk have you got a recovery plan ?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Way to keep pushing forward zackman!

Get after it my friend!
Old 01-19-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this Zackman!!

For me focusing on Sobriety was the main priority, and everything else in terms of mental and emotional worked itself out!!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Get rid of the booze and the anxiety will greatly reduce and prob go away in time. Book in to a psychologist for some CBT it worked for me man. The booze causes anxiety as it stuffs up all your natural ferlgood chemicals. Grsb a good book mate immerse yourself in it guve ut time. In 3 months you will feel much better.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also remember that you have no control over the past. It is already gone and you cannot reach back and change it. So it is best to live in today and make the present what you want it to be.