out of the mouths

Old 01-18-2015, 01:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

out of the mouths

I am on vacation with problem drinker husband. He has been controlling it somewhat. For him I guess. And my 2 year old son was just desperate to get a beer out of the fridge to give to dadda.

He was laughing. He said no but he thinks it is funny. What does that say...what am I doing to my little boy.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
aboutdone

In my first marriage, my girls would get their Dad a beer just as they would get him a soda out of the fridge. No big deal. I was 20 yrs younger then, and had no idea the monstrous disease of alcoholism ever existed. So, I have understanding, yet now, there is NO WAY I would let my children do that. What is acceptable at 2, becomes more acceptable in a childs mind as they grow. Meaning, I would be fearful of my children feeling alcohol is acceptable at all, considering the fact there is a genetic link. That is just me though.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No no no this little one should not be doing this! And it is not funny. All these years with my AH he has never done this and actually have told our girls if anyone should ask them to get a beer to tell them no.

I am sorry you are going thru this.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Growing up in an alcoholic home impacts kids increasingly over time and "normalizes" the idea of drinking as a way to deal with life.
People often post on here on how they "protect" their kids from their alcoholic spouse ( I don't mean you but in general )
As your example shows, you can't really "protect" a child from the example of a parent even at a very young age.
I'm sorry it is happening to you and I agree you are rightly concerned.
Hugs
Old 01-18-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Growing up in an alcoholic home impacts kids increasingly over time and "normalizes" the idea of drinking as a way to deal with life.
Hugs
And that normalization could be that it's fun until its not anY more.
And deal with life until it doesn't.

PLEASE stop allowing it to happen!!!!?

P.S.
I do want to thank you, though because reading things like this can throw a memory into my melon of just how friggin insane I used to be.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My younger son used to wake up and play with his dad's empties. Stacking them into pyramids and towers like they were blocks because my ex used to stay up all. Igot drinking and throw them anywhere but the trash or recycling bin.
I got my kids out of there. The little one plays with Legos now.