Notices

My non-commital self just

Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My non-commital self just

Committed to paying for the SR. App.

I don't buy apps... Ever. I only download free ones.

I choose to view this as progress.

I realize that my first post and this seem non-committal to most, but this is me and the process that has worked for me in the past to ease into the mental side of change.

Fifteen years ago I was an almost two pack a day smoker. I quit, as it were, the daily, all the time habit, but for a stretch allowed myself to smoke when I went out to parties, first allowing myself to buy cigarettes for the event.. Later only allowing myself to bum off others... And eventually I grew to hate cigarettes all together and how they made me feel. I still on random occasions have the urge but know that I will never smoke one again. I don't want to.

I'm not suggesting that I intend this journey to follow that same path, but rather am providing for some additional insight into me. I'm not perfect... I am and always will be a work in progress, striving to be better for my children, my husband, my family and friends... And for me.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

If it works for you, then it works.

I was never able to fix my relationship with alcohol on the terms I wanted - my terms. I devised many, many plans, all of which should have worked. I finally had to admit that none of them did and none of them ever would.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been able to give a good many other things up without much inner or outer turmoil...but alcohol defeated me time and again.

I appreciate the smoking story wasn't necessarily a template for what you'll do this time, but I have to reiterate something I found to be absolutely true for me - my recovery needed to be all or nothing - I simply couldn't dabble with drinks here and there.

D
Old 01-17-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As of right now... I kńow I can't dabble. I will totally slide backward to exactly where I was.. And I know that. In the smoking cessation, I had completely quit for a long stretch of time, honestly don't know how long.. By the time I allowed myself to dabble, there were rules and parameters that I was able to stick to.

This may ultimately be never again for me... But I firmly believe if I attempt to say never right now I am setting myself up for eventual failure. My personal goal is to get control of the grip alcohol has on me... If that means never again, than so be it, I'm fine with that... I know I don't want to feel out of control or embarrassed, I want to be a positive role model on this front for my children as I believe I am in regard to nutrition and fitness...I want to control this rather than it control me.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you saying you are not drinking today? That's all you have to commit to.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by ICanDoBetter View Post
I firmly believe if I attempt to say never right now I am setting myself up for eventual failure.
Many of us faced this, and we mentally process it in a variety of ways. You'll find your way to process it.

Here is what I use. I make 2 groups of never agains:
Group A:
I will never breathe
I will never eat
I will never sleep
I will never drink water

Group B:
I will never rob a bank
I will never murder
I will never punch my grandmother
I will never move to North Korea

One group is easy to never do, the other impossible to never do. Which group would I will never drink alcohol fit into?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI.

In many years being sober it remains a fact we need to be the #1 reason for being sober as all the good things can and will happen. If other reasons come before #1 all bets are off.

BE WELL
Old 01-17-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting on the never list... Typically I'm not a person who uses the word never... I will have to ponder that.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
If it works for you, then it works.

I was never able to fix my relationship with alcohol on the terms I wanted - my terms. I devised many, many plans, all of which should have worked. I finally had to admit that none of them did and none of them ever would.

Good luck and keep us posted!
This
Old 01-17-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

?