Notices

New sobriety & AH coming back home

Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New sobriety & AH coming back home

To cut a long story short both myself and my husband are alcoholics although both in different ways. My problem is starting. I like to start drinking everyday. His problem is stopping. He doesn't have an off button most of the time where as I do most of the time.
Over the last year he has a few times verbally abused me when he's had too much. I told him that that wouldn't happen again but of course it did. So I left the relationship.
I have been on sober blogs and trying moderation for a few months and had decided that in Jan this year I was going to do 100 days sober as that all I can commit to at this point.

During the logistics break up conversation (kids & cash) that I asked his mother to be there for he said he would do 100 days with me and get counselling. I wasn't expecting this and gave myself 24 hours to think it all over. I decided that for the sake my family yes I would give this a chance.
He works away for a month and home for a month ( you can imagine what his hobby is when his home) so he started his 100 days when he went to work as he can't drink at work anyway so he does a month sober every second month then makes up for it. I feel like it was cheating a bit him starting his 100 days at work when he does that anyway but whatever.
I am now on day 13 and he comes home in a few days on his day 30. I know he will do these 100 days as he is as stubborn as me (actually because of work training he will only be home with us for 31 of those days) and he wouldn't want to go back to day 1 and start again but Im pretty when that 100 days is up he will be back into it where as I'm pretty sure I will be taking another 100 please. Anyway there is no point thinking about that day now.
I feel nervous about him coming home as I am in my little sober routine with our kids and things are going pretty well. I'm also excited about spending some time being a sober family and know we will learn and experience so many hard and wonderful lessons. I don't really have any point to this post except to outline my (or our) situation. I'm not going to worry about his sobriety, just my own. He know he's on last chance as far a the verbal abuse goes. I would rather be a single mum than put up with that BS!
We will be in new territory though that's for sure as we have drunk together for years and for years way before we met.
We were talking about how we both want to give up smoking and I said I will find giving up smokes harder than booze. He replied well I can imagine a life without cigarettes but not one without booze. Well I can imagine a life without booze and it looks pretty good.
This is going to be an interesting ride.

--------------------------------------------------- "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a day without any new mistakes in it yet?" Anne of Green Gables.-
Old 01-16-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you have a good plan to keep your sobriety the first priority. SR is always here if you need it.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Sounds like a tough situation ting but when it comes down to it I think you are making a good decision in putting your own sobriety first.

Hang in there!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do this Ting!!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good plan Ting
Old 01-17-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good plan to continue your sober routine which is working for you, and not worry about what your husband is doing with his recovery.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Yes my sobriety #1!

--------------------------------------------------- "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a day without any new mistakes in it yet?" Anne of Green Gables.-
Old 01-17-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Good job ting! keep going regardless of what he does or doesn't do.
Really proud of you!