Notices

First post.. And my current mantra...

Old 01-16-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post.. And my current mantra...

If I can, I must.

I've felt for years I have an issue with drinking responsibly, from the perspective of stopping when I have had enough. Like the potato chips I can usually avoid, one is never enough. I have mentioned it to my husband on occasion, that I need to stop.. But his only means of being supportive is to pick a little and then give up.

So of late I've been on a path of gradually correcting bad habits that have crept in and/ or worsened in the last few years after a course of stressful personal events. Cleaning up my eating, exercising more regularly... But refusing to give up "just a drink or two" which spirals into four or six every say of the week.

But I can do better. And I will. Sunday morning I decided to challenge myself to seven days of no alcohol. Seven days.. Mind over matter. Today I'm almost done with day six. And friday stinks. Since this morning it has plagued me with thoughts of maybe just one.. But I know it wouldn't be just one. And if I cave, I have to start counting all over again. And I'm hoping that Sunday I will decide I should aim for another seven days, knowing each is a one day at a time struggle of mind over matter. I'm not naive enough to try to tell myself I will never drink again.. But I think setting mini milestones may just be the path for now that can hopefully help me to end the cycle.. I hope... Because if I can, I must.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome ICanDoBetter - great to have you with us.

"But I know it wouldn't be just one" - that's what was so hard for me to accept and admit. I went on for many years thinking it was just a matter of willpower. Once I acknowledged that there could never be control, I was able to find the courage to change my life. SR helped me by showing me I was never alone. Congrats on your 6 days.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad that you've decided to stop drinking and I hope you continue.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi ICanDoBetter you're mindset sounds pretty solid.

Well done on your 6 days!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

But you haven't decided to quit drinking. You decided to quit drinking for 7 days which leaves the gate open at the end of the week and spares you the horror of actually quitting. I doubt that moderation will be successful as it has never worked for anyone here.

If you have a drink on day 8 then it will turn into 5 or 6 won't it. If not on day 8 then day 9.

If you want to change you are going to have to step across the line and face it head on.

I so wish I could moderate because then I could think ahead to the day that I have "earned" a good tooter.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and useful info here.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome

I have found quitting drinking to be quite easy. Not pleasant but it can be done. Where things got interesting is when i tried to stay quit. As long as that drinking in the future idea was present eventual I drank at or more than I previously did.

6 days is great but you may wish to consider something longer-term
Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The reason for starting first with seven days for me is because so many times I've said "I'm done" and after one day drinking, then I go "eh... Nevermind" because forever seems impossible. Starting with first seven days seems less impossible... And gives a goal to,achieve and reap the reward, as it were. Totally a mental thing for me based on what I believe can work for me to gradually seek out change... One day at a time.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll decide to continue too ICanDoBetter

D
Old 01-16-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My post may sound critical but I do commend you for realizing that change is necessary but as MIR has said - as long as the door stays open you WILL walk through it.

You will hear that here as anyone who has quit - finally quit - has experienced the feeling you get when you realize that you can't go back. It is a feeling of being disconnected and unsupported and a feeling that we all fear greatly but one that subsides as you find a new way to live.

Should you choose to leave it behind you will get a lot of support here. Just stay in touch. Hell. Stay in touch no matter what you choose to do.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, ICanDoBetter, and congratulations on six days.

It was hard for me to admit and accept that I could never have just one (or that matter two or . . . .) but doing just that, admitting and accepting, was key to putting myself on the road to recovery.

Glad you found SR.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome to SR, ICanDoBetter, and congratulations on six days.

It was hard for me to admit and accept that I could never have just one (or that matter two or . . . .) but doing just that, admitting and accepting, was key to putting myself on the road to recovery.

Glad you found SR.
Acceptance is truly the key
Old 01-17-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum ICanDoBetter!!