Notices

Day 5, Friday and triggers everywhere

Old 01-16-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5, Friday and triggers everywhere

Happy Friday. I have almost made it through the week without drinking. I've been feeling great. This morning when I woke up I felt so much peace and love inside me. And so much gratitude - to myself - for being strong and so kind to myself by not drinking.

Yet, drinking thoughts keep popping into my head this afternoon. I went for a late afternoon walk around the neighborhood where I work, and I kept thinking about the places I would normally drink, and even entertained the thought of sneaking a few drinks somewhere. I talked myself out of it, and continued on my walk, eventually stopping at Starbucks for a coffee.

Any ideas on how to deal with these thoughts? It's like everywhere I go, there is something or some place that reminds me of drinking, and I start to think about it, and then have to talk myself out of it. Or many times in the past, I cave.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fridays are rough in early recovery - but you're not alone - and you can get through this. It will get easier

Have you seen this link? I think you will find it very helpful

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
D
Old 01-16-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Feathers,
Well done on your week without drink! I am also a week in now and know the temptations you are talking about. I am just keeping in my head that even one drink will throw me off track so theres no point hanging around the places that tempt you. Be proud of your strength in walking past and going for coffee instead. If you need to walk past some of your favourite haunts and feel tempted, maybe put your headphones in and listen to some motivating music/podcast etc and focus on that? And the money you will be saving - maybe start a little fund - for every drink you fight put a bit of money away each time? it will soon add up if you're anything like me Good luck and stick with the coffee!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Check out our Weekender thread for more support, everyone is welcome!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...n-16-18-a.html
Old 01-16-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

D, this is wonderful, thank you!

I think changing up some of my routines would be helpful, and definitely avoiding places I used to like drinking. I also have rediscovered a fondness for lifesavers Lots of good ideas here.

Funny, now that the feelings, the urge has past, I feel ok again. And SO relieved that I didn't cave. I can now enjoy an alcohol-free evening, have a good nights sleep and get up early tomorrow for a big hike! Thank you God!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tilikum, thank you for the support and encouragement. I love your suggestions, the music and the fund. I think next time I go for a walk I will put my headphones on, and like you said it's something else to focus on. The fund is a great idea, maybe I'll make a goal of something I will use the money for.... Hmmmm. Thanks!!

Purple Knight, I will definitely check out that thread, thank you!!