Notices

Struggling

Old 01-16-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Sorry. This prob isn't the place but I'm new to this app and can't find anywhere else to ask for support. Havin a tough time at the mo. Been dry for about 118 days with no problem whatsoever. Now going on holiday. Sat here in a bar with my wife and 4 pints of coca cola. We are both recovering drinkers and both off. But tomorrow we are cruising in the Caribbean. It's all we can do to stay off tonight never mind tomorrow. Any thoughts? Ian and Carolyn.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I learned that if I look hard enough there are many things to do while on holiday that are not related to drinking. I also learned that in my early sobriety, hanging out in a bar was NOT the best of ideas even if one was to drink something non-alcoholic. There are no rules saying that you HAVE to drink in the Carribbean. I suggest snorkeling.....much more fun! And the view is much better there too!
Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum blanderpip
can i ask you why are you sitting in a bar?!
Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So any thoughts soberclover?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ha ha. Good question. Getting a bar meal.
Sorry SC. Just seen your reply.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, blander pip. Congratulations on 118 days.

Check with the cruise staff and find out if there are alcohol-free activities - spa treatments (although alcohol may be offered in the spas, drinking isn't the main focus); craft workshops; motivational speakers; exercise facilities?

You may even be able to ask to be seated with non-drinkers at meals.

Have a nice time; enjoy the warmth and the sun.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There may also be 'excursions' offered by the cruise liners while in port which do not focus on drinking activities (walking tours of the towns, snorkeling, shell searching).
Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think about this too. I'm going on a cruise in march also the Caribbean. I will be focusing on all the things I will enjoy more without alcohol. Such as, waking up early and having a coffee looking at the ocean, not being hung over. Life is about experiencing the beauty that god has created. Alcohol will only dull this. You will have more energy to do the things and do t want to throw your sobriety away for a craving.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow cruising in the Caribbean? It's gonna be hard yes (well done on 118 days btw) but just think do u really want to be too drunk or hungover to enjoy this amazing experience?
You want to remember every bit of this holiday and the amazing sights your going to experience. Enjoy the lovely food (not be too sick and hungover to eat) and you don't want to rely on photos for memories because you have a mass of fuzzy memories or blackouts.
Make the most of the activities and fun things to do on offer and preferably stay away from the bars!
Good luck and have an amazing holiday x
Old 01-16-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me i needed to seperate the activity from the drinking, did you spend money on booking a cruise to sit drinking, because there are cheaper way of doing it.

Instead what a cruise provides is seeing new places, new activities, meeting new people, so those are the things to focus on, make a plan of what to do each day and stick to it.

There will be others there who aren't drinking, none drinkers are everywhere, even on cruises, how do they pass their time? and rest assured they will enjoy themselves!!

You can do this!!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there must be a *ton* of wonderful things to do on a Caribbean cruise that need not involve alcohol at all

I hope you guys have a great sober trip

D
Old 01-16-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are usually daily AA meetings on cruise ships. There you could possibly meet up like minded people to spend sober time with outside of the meetings.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been on three Caribbean cruises over the years. Every day when you wake up the ship is in a new port and there's a list of activities - parasailing, helicopter tours, snorkeling, wildlife, shopping, etc. I also would sometimes just do a long run on the island that day, then return to the boat, cleanup and go eat.

You can do it sober if you want and it will be an awesome experience. Just go one day at a time.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Also, would it be such a bad idea to maybe skip the trip? See if you can get a refund perhaps?

I understand it would be a waste of money if you couldn't get a refund, but at the same time if you are going to be miserable or tempted to drink, it may still be a waste of money.

We really don't have to do anything that may jeopardize our sobriety.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A cruise! Nice! What cruise line?

I went on a Carnival cruise with some friends (the cheapest of the Carnival boats) and that was all about drinking for the most part. Seemed like everyone was drinking. However, I have also been on a Disney Cruise and a Holland America cruise that seemed like people were pretty level headed for the most part.

I hope you have fun!