Notices

Hello, please read

Old 08-09-2004, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello, please read

Hello,
My name is Mareah and I am 16 years old. I went to Hazelden treatment center, in October.. and i really enjoyed it and learned a lot, but I havent been able to stay sober for more then 2 weeks! I feel terrible because I have put my family through hell with my addiction. Before i got sent to rehab I was smoking pot atleast twice a day..In the morning before school, at lunch, and after school. I smoked alone a lot too.. just because when I was high i felt i had no worries, no cares, and i loved that feeling. It was also a time I spent writing a lot, because i write a lot of poetry, and i felt even better about some of the things i wrote when i was high. I drank once and awhile.. but since i was on antidepressants, I usually got sick. So i stuck to pain pills, herb, and Dex. Since i have been back i went strait to alcohol.. and i loved it because i didnt think at all when i was drunk.. and it made me forget everything horrible I had done.. the cycle continued, and i went into convulsions many times.. it was scary, but not scary enough.. i guess! I ran away this summer for a few days.. and I realized how out of control I really can get.. I have been home now, and sober for going on 3 weeks I also quit smoking ciggaretts (not by choice).. Its extremley hard and I am so lonley.. I dont know what to do.. i exercise and stuff, but nothing seems to help.
Im stuck.. and I am worried what i will do once school starts,because in my parents mind this is the last chance.. (they have given me so many) before they send me away to a bording school.. or somthing else drastic, and i dont want that.. please help.. Mareah
Old 08-09-2004, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mareah,

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you found us!

I've been sober a few years now and the main thing I found is that stopping drinking is only the beginning. That is where the real journey begins. For me it involved a lot of issues with self-esteem. Hopefully there are things you learned in treatment that can help you get through this time. Do you have any kind of a support system? Do you have sober friends who you can spend time with?

This is a good place to get support and understanding and I hope you keep posting.

Love, Anna
Old 08-09-2004, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mareah.
Welcome to SR.
Like Anna said, this is a great place to get sober support. I was wondering if you go to AA/NA meetings? That is the extra support that I need. It is in the rooms of these fellowships that I have met new friends to hang around with. People who know what I'm going through because they've been there, and can tell me how they got through it. Keep posting here, this is a great start. Just take life one day at a time!
Sherry
Old 08-09-2004, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Hi Mareah ! Welcome to SR and congradulations on your 3 weeks clean that is great! Some good suggestions here about meetings .Maybe you can also ask your parents about some counseling for yourself . You just might find when you get back to school there are others your age who dont use if you look for them . You are doin great ! Just try to take it one day at a time ..bless your heart... Trish
Old 08-09-2004, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

3 weeks... woohoo! That is GREAT.
I want to welcome you to SoberRecovery and tell you that I am glad you are here.
I feel the urge to echo miraclen2003 and say that finding good friends is a good idea... and coming as often as possible.
If you want what we have... stick around and make some friends... and let the miracle happen.
Again... welcome to SR and glad you are here!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

HI Mareah, WELCOME.
You are so lucky to have discovered your addiction at this age. YOU can really turn this around. You seem really bright and you write really well. It doesn't surprise me that you write poetry. Feel free to share some if you like.
Don't wait to be like me, 38 and struggling to re-do the last 10 years of drinking. IT has really taken a toll on my face and body. Sometimes when I wake up, I feel like I look 20 years older than I feel. But at your age...you can stop all tht ugliness...if you want to.
I get from your message that you WANT to, but that it is hard. I hope you have some resources, like a sponsor or a doctor or a therapist who can listen to you and offer advice.
PS good for you for working out!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Mareah,
We're here for you!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

(((MAREAH)))

Welcome and congratulations on your sober time!!!!

Talia
Old 08-09-2004, 10:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Mareah, I can tell you are very insightful and are a lot wiser than I was at age 16!!

You stated very clearly what you do not want in your life and it makes sense, but actions do speak louder than words! Keep focused on the positive aspects of your life; Mareah, your whole life is in front of you now and you are getting ready to make some decisions that can really change your life in a positive way.

It is strange, but once your reecovery is underway, you will feel like a fog has lifted and you can begin to live and enjoy life again. You do have to give it longer than two weeks however!

One thing to watch out for is the "friends" you choose to be with. Be careful to not try to make positive changes, but still hang with the same old group that abuses drugs, etc.

I am sorry if I sound like a parent, but I have been in your shoes. I drank and did try pot when I was in high school, but I did not quit or even recognize that I had a problem then.

Don't let drugs and alcohol steal your teen years and life away!! You have so much to live for and you can't truly experience life when you are high or drunk. I speak from experience and also understand where you are coming from, and I hope that I have helped in some small way.

Take care Mareah,

Dave
Old 08-09-2004, 11:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Congratulations on your awareness level. You know a lot of things about yourself and your addiction that most people your age only dream about.
Two questions you might want to reflect on:
1) What are you going to do with that knowledge?
2) Where is God in all this?
Don't drink or use, go to 12-step program meetings, and read program books. That's all I have to offer you. Focus on today. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Sweet 16

Sweet 16 Mareah:
As an older sister to my younger brother who is 19 and is going through similar situations as yourself, I want to tell you to stay strong....The amount of sadness my brother has inflicted upon his family - his situation is similar, although, he has been arrested 2 times now - I dont want you to ever be in that kind of trouble! Jail is gross anyway!

Stay strong sweetheart. This place is your chance to tell us whats inside that is causing you to steer away from the things that you don't want to do, the things that you do want to do - a chance to be yourself.

We are here for you! You can do it!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Mareah
Congrats on your 3 weeks
I'm almost 18 so I know how it feels to be in recovery at a young age. In my city I'm the only young people at meetings so sometimes I feel like a stranger. I'm glad that al least on the net I can find some other young people. It would be a great idea to have a forum for young people in recovery on SR.
Wish you the best
Hugs
Irene
Old 08-10-2004, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Mareah..
Welcome, glad you found us.

Look at this experience as a blessing, a wake up call that you do not need to let drugs/alcohol rule and ruin your life.

There have been plenty before you (myself included) who have done alot of research and can verify that it does not get better.

What about a meeting in your area for teens?
Here is a website you might find useful....
http://www.onalaska.k12.wi.us/buildi...gui/resources/