Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I Keep saying "I will not fail , I will not fail" , son turns 12 tomorrow..

Notices

Old 01-15-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And of all things, he wants to go to our favorite Mexican Restaurant...

The same one that I could go through 2 or 3 6-pack buckets of Corona in a matter of hours!!

I just keep thinking "Sweet Tea..Go for the sweet tea" and all will be good!

Ohhh , Lordy, first time going to out to a beer-happy restaurant since I quit in Nov..

Wish me luck, throw some Prayers my way! I can do this!!! Bring it on!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Hmmmm
Perhaps a trip to a family pizza / entertainment place might be considered???

Easy does it, friend!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't think of a more wonderful birthday gift for your son than to be present and sober and enjoy the evening together. You got this one. :-)
Old 01-15-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

lol , right...but everyone loves this place... I'll be good...Just need to contain that dang AV...Which has been buggin me for 2 days straight..

AV and me are kind of strange , or maybe it's normal....AV starts up , I could falll asleep on the spot....

Anyways , wish me luck .. "I have the Twister line in my head .. "Weeeeee'reee Goooooin Innnnn!"
Old 01-15-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Lance....We were at Kroger tonight as we passed the Beer aisle , he started saying "Daaaaadddd......Daaaaddd...Nahhh uh , no way!" ...so we hurried by..
Old 01-15-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck and lots of sweet tea
Old 01-15-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do it! Just try to keep your son at the forefront of your mind. It is his special day and wheather he knows you struggle with alcohol or not being sober is the greatest gift you can give him. My son has seen the good bad and ugly of my drinking, 99% ugly and bad. He has watched this since he was 4 ; he is now 14 and since nov 17 2014 till today is the longest he has seen me sober. On Christmas night after everyone was gone he thanked me for a great xmas, but he also said he was so proud of me and happy that I "was doing so good with not drinking". He said that was the best xmas gift. I was speechless, now that gift of sobriety that I gave myself and him was worth more than anything and was and still is worth not drinking. You can do it! Believe in yourself.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mistory you sound like me! Drinking since he was about 5 , I quit on Nov 13th...He , his Brother and lil sis keep telling me I am doing good....Again , tonight in Kroger , my 5 year old girl blurts out , "Look Dad , Beer , but you don't drink beer anymore!".. lol....She embarrassed her big bro with that one...

I guess anyone who thinks Kids do not notice , they DO notice in a big way...
Old 01-15-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

They do notice nofear, don't let them down You have no less than 3 reasons not to drink on your sons birthday. I am glad you understand this Your daughter has already noticed and is very happy you don't drink beer anymore. Don't let her down, or yourself.

you got this, and sweat tea is awesome. Be sure to eat a lot of chips and salsa while you wait for y'alls meal, a full stomach helps with any cravings, and helps with the hand to mouth habit.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's your son's day - make him proud

D
Old 01-15-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll , we'll get er dun...SOBER!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

NofearNobeer, when the kids start commenting on you not drinking....all you need to hear to solidify just how bad the drinking was. And what an added motivator to stay sober. Whenever AV sneaks up on me I rely on the look on my sons face, body lanquage and words xmas night when he thanked me for the best Xmas gift ever. TKOs the AV everytime.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How wonderful - a birthday celebration for your son. Stay focused on the reason for the dinner; make it all about your 12 year old!!!! Those sweet teas will taste great.

Have fun, Nofearnobeer.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank ya'll for the much needed boost! I got this! Have a great night , I have to go get my "beauty rest" as my wife and duaghter call it...Lord Help me... lol ...
Old 01-15-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Tired

Kids, yes they see, but may not understand 'why are they like acting like that', but they catch on fast, too fast. Yelp!

First thing; this is about him, not you, so it's okay to feel tortured but not give in. Just keep repeating that if you must under your breath.

Second; Yes. Right, it's going to suuuuuuck, especially if you are already feeling 'the bite'. Eat ice cubes all night if you must, chew your jaw raw on them, get a big dessert and main course and eat, not drink. Fooooood, mmmmm.

Third; this is about him, not you. Disconnect from that Addictive yammer. Tell it to, pardon me, go to hell right now and burn.
Enjoy the birth year of your child, and celebrate that you can do that. Sober.

Make it a good time. Take pics and videos, like a madman. Then get home and when you fall asleep, be damned happy with that, and with yourself.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're lucky to have them nofear I doubt you'll be any prettier tomorrow, so sleep well at least hehe :p
Old 01-16-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
I can't think of a more wonderful birthday gift for your son than to be present and sober and enjoy the evening together. You got this one. :-)
Wow yea keep thinking how amazing you will feel the next day! Another hurdle! You can do it!! Every time you get tempted look at your sons face and remember why your doing this xx
Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You can do this. Eat loads of lovely food and enjoy this lovely day for your son.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Nofear you got this. Just take ownership of your thoughts and tell that AV to go home and die!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the motivation here! It helps more than ya'll know!