Notices

Music to my ears - Sober Weekender Thread!!! Jan 16-18

Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Cool Music to my ears - Sober Weekender Thread!!! Jan 16-18

We have not had a musical weekender thread in a while!!!

The board seems in the mood for some jamming out!

We have a lot of musicians here... music lovers here... and those that could maybe use some musical encouragement this weekend as we settle into the new year and find our sober pace.

Let the inner DJ in you come out this weekend!!!

Sober is here and ready for you to join in the fun!

Remember new folks if you need immediate help please consider posting on the main board first.

This thread is here to help newcomers (and old) make it through the weekend sober!

Are you ready??? Three... two... one... Welcome to your sober weekend!!!

*Ring Ring*

K
Old 01-15-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Woah, shotgun! Theme seems fitting, at our work meeting yesterday one of the topics was: "What is your go-to karaoke song"? Ha. Needless to say I'm not planning on visiting a karaoke stage anytime soon due to the fact that almost 100% of the participants are usually drinking. I shrugged.

For me, concerts have always been far too LOUD for my liking. I come away from concerts with muffled hearing and wondering what just happened! My ideal music is provided by nature. Birds, rushing water, etc. I also really liked the sounds that floated through the air when I traveled to Bali, Indonesia a few years ago. There's this soft chiming of bells that's always echoing in the distance, very peaceful!

Welcome to the weekend, one and all. Thanks Weasel for starting the thread!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

BigS, riding shotgun, the big esSinator, the S-ter, The Big Essinista, biggest esstist...

ha-ha, Thought of you this past week BigS, last night I watch "Living on a dollar" - I think - on netflix. A few college guys move to Guatemala to live on a dollar a day. In the end it is a sad and heart moving documentary. But it shows how humans should really act.
I also watched two on the Mayans a few days ago, good stuff. In one I actually saw the place you posted a photo of weeks ago.

Tonight we are going to the symphony in Philly. It's Tchaikovsky night.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Riding Roof always

In
Old 01-15-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Count me in Weasel!! Thanks for starting this thread - I found it very helpful last weekend.

Music and alcohol have been somewhat inextricable for me. I had a terror that many of my favourite tracks would trigger a craving - but so far, so good. I am planning on going to my first sober concert next week. It is mid week and I will drive there, so hopefully will be good.

Weekend starts for me this evening as first time alone in house since I decided to become sober. Thursday eve has traditionally been the start of a drunken weekend. Will keep myself distracted.

Thanks again Weasel and best of luck to everyone else. I may even post a favourite track or two!!

B
Old 01-15-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon. I'm in for the weekend. Today is my last workday for this week. I am chaperoning a trip to the aquarium tomorrow and Monday is a holiday. Mr. Ruby went out aggain Sunday and again on Tuesday. So far I am not tempted so that is good.

I'm with BigS on concert going. Usually too loud. I prefer the radio at this point. I think music can be all things. It can be soothing. It can be upsetting if one associates it with different events. It can be a trigger for that reason as well if we try to replicate or escape the feelings or sensations.

That said, I heard Squeeze "Take Me I'm Yours" in the car on the way to work. Reminded me of my first college boyfriend who loved that entire album. Fond memories.

So, here we are for the bus ride of our lives.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey LB... the symphony hall you are going is right by the City Hall building correct? I used to stay at the Double Tree right there on the higher floors and then bounce from bar to bar. i thought back then hat those were good times. NOT!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Behan... can you elaborate on distracted??? I can be distracted to drink as well as not drink. What "planned" distractions are in store? If that were me I would need some extra padding on the plan.

Really good to see you here and joining in!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

After I drop my baby off at my sister's house, come pick me up!!!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

weasel, you are correct sir, I stayed at the double tree once - right on Broad.
I've done the Broad Street shuffle a time or two myself. never again. When I went to the theater the irish pub was across the street - it was always a before and after place. To think I used to have a subscription and box seats to the symphony. I've always had an eclectic taste in music. Sleeping on the ground at a bluegrass festival eating canned beans over a fire to five star dining and the symphony staying in the Ritz. It's all good.

The most important thing is that I enjoy events much more now that I am sober. I don't have to hurry to stop at a bar before I go to a show anymore. My bottle of water works just fine.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm jumping on! Fly out Sunday for 2 weeks of training! I will be around a few co workers who drink but not worried. This training in extremely important to my dream job and I wouldn't jeopardize that for anything! Happy weekend folks!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Behan... can you elaborate on distracted??? I can be distracted to drink as well as not drink. What "planned" distractions are in store? If that were me I would need some extra padding on the plan.

Really good to see you here and joining in!
Thanks Weasel!

Well resisted temptation to call into liquor store en route home. Gonna eat a fine meal, mostly meat as have been veggie all week. I have tons of housework. Also tons of reading. However, i may settle with a nice science fiction film that Mrs B would never agree to:-) I have no cravings as yet but plan to post here if AV raises its volume!

I love reading about everyone's sober plans. Keeping me sane!

B
Old 01-15-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here's a good one...

Old 01-15-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

In there! I actually have the weekend off from both jobs, so I can get some stuff done around the house. Mostly studying for my series 65 on Saturday and then NFL on Sunday.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Good evening

Hope things are going ok with everyone .

Up and down week with me and work, this temping role has worn a bit thin and is getting a bit annoying .

I am planning on getting over to France once the gig is over and getting my home there on the market , maybe with a bit of help from mex-m8 .

Even if the real estate market is on it's knees still … i feel the need to let go and move on … there is time and tide to the affairs of men, women and the world ? yer ?

So i feel the need to free myself up from all this "stuff" ..

I Have a whole cupboard with power tools in it i've not touched for 7 years , top quality …
I heard something the other day " store them in the cloud" which basically means put them on e-bay or craiglist and flog it … as you can always buy something back similar.

In all honesty, although of an emotional bent sometimes i refuse to be sentimental about a belt sander or chainsaw . LoL

Bestwishes, m
Old 01-15-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hear you, Mecanix. We've got things to list on ebay and Craigslist too, and I've been procrastinating. My husband likes to hold onto things (hoard!), and so I have to be the tough one and draw the line somewhere. Lol.

I've been the tough one not wanting to let go of our house. He wanted it gone two years ago. My hunch was to hold on a little bit longer. My hunch is still to hang onto it. I keep thinking I'll regret selling it one day. Not sure what to do...
Old 01-15-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am in!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm in again ! Day off for me today on account of 9 year old with pneumonia. Last night as I was up with him for the umpteenth time I thought, " wow...I used to do this drunk" I was so grateful to be in the moment and sober.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mex - great idea to start "streamlining" your life by selling belongings large and small. If we don't do this from time to time, we'll suffocate under a mountain of useless stuff! Sounds like a good idea, you'll feel a lot lighter. Good for the soul and the pocket book!

Pretty excited about getting my new (to me) SUV this weekend. NOT so excited about spending Saturday morning in Guatemala City at busy "auto showroom" that looks more like a chicken farm than a dealership. Aaack, I dread the circus. But I don't need to make a mountain out of a molehill. All I've got to do, is get down there and sign a few pieces of paper and pick up the car and then drive an hour back to my house. One step at a time. My girlfriend will be in tow and has been super helpful throughout, so it will be nice to have support!