Notices

Not tempted

Old 01-15-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not tempted

I had a burger at my favorite bar & grill yesterday,this is a place where I used to go alone or with a friend to drink.All of the assorted bottles of booze & beer on tap meant nothing to me anymore.I was with my neighbor & he knows I can't drink anymore.I've told the owner I'm done drinking & yesterday he asked if it is forever? I said yes.He joked that he can stop drinking anytime he wants,for 1 day.He has an OWI on his driving record & his son was cited for bartending while drunk.I don't care if others look at me differently now, I can can hold my head up & walk straight,no more drunken guy here.I didn't bring it but my neighbor was also drinking a soda & later said to me "maybe I should stop drinking too".I will be here for him if he wants to talk more.Going from the problem drinker to giving advice is a great feeling.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post Headcase
Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, headcase.

One thing I notice now when I go to a restaurant is that the MENU is so important; I truly read the description of each entre. Previously, it was order whatever and hope that the wine arrived quickly and that the waiter noticed when my glass was empty so that I didn't have to flag him down.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That must be such an amazing feeling!! Well done. Cant wait to post something like this myself xx
Old 01-15-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SoberLeigh, I was exactly the same. And this torture of not being able to order more than 2 drinks cause nobody else is having more than 2... Carefully watching other people drinks, hoping that maybe somebody's finishing up and ordering another round. I could order another one then, without raising eyebrows.

Used to be such a torture. This constant tension of 'Let's just finish eating and move to the bar next door', where all the bets are off.

Now I'm starting to see what an ordeal it used to be, going out with people and trying to drink socially, like everybody else, while everything in you is screaming for one thing: more booze. Those were the days. Everyday I make discoveries about my drinking days and it doesn't cease to amaze me how completely and utterly insane it was.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and good for you.
I’m almost constantly reminded that alcohol for an alcoholic is powerful, cunning, baffling and insidious. It will grab a hold and attack in a heartbeat disabling us for periods of time, usually with little defense against the next one.

An appropriate warning heard a lot is “stay away from slippery places when we want to stay sober.” We have enough on our plate to try to handle.

BE WELL
Old 01-15-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Awesome headcase!

More power to you!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I know how grateful you are that he, unknowingly perhaps, shared his story with you.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you Headcase! Keep up the good work.

Be careful, though. Make sure you have your toolbox with you.

I still need to stay away from drinking establishments. I don't want to get too complacent.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great stuff Headcase!!