Notices

Middle of 2nd week and I woke up hungover...

Old 01-15-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TBA

Middle of 2nd week and I woke up hungover...

WTF?

Cruising right along, eating right, exercising, staying hydrated, sleeping through the night...

Suddenly I wake up this morning feeling like i have the worst hangover ever...

My first thought was that I screwed up and drank last night...

Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Phantom hangovers are actually pretty common.

Often it can be simple dehydration?

D
Old 01-15-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on your second week sober.

I used to wake up feeling pretty bad, it does go just hang on in there.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah me too, this morning after 15 days clean, ok now 8 hrs. later, headache, muscles and bones aching, nauseous, feeling of general malaise and wooly head with tingling in hands and shins. OMG is there no end to this nightmare. but I know time will heal, I pray. Sunny side out
Old 01-15-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This, too, will go away with time, TBA.

How do you feel now? There are quite a few flu bugs going around - could you be coming down with something?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good to hear that Soberleigh, its so disheartening especially when all you want to see is light at the end of the tunnel and move on with clean living and then bang wallop crash, not easy but at this stage Ii seem to take with a pinch of salt and try and distract and keep busy, thanks for your comment
Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, has happened many times. I have had trouble getting to sleep but once I sleep I go into some strange death sleep, like so deep it's almost a little unsettling. And, given the chance I sleep like 12 hours. Waking is a whole other story.

I guess it's good to catch up after eight years of abusing my body daily.

I was a very heavy daily drinker so I'm thinking I'll take a year to normalize.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Completely normal. Hang in there. Youre doing great.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

I've been there, and it sucks. The feeling of immediate dread and regret of what you may have done the previous night is horrible. I've even had dreams that I was drinking despite all the effort I've put into staying sober and woke up feeling "hungover" even though it was just the groggy wake up feeling. It happens, but the best feeling is the relief when you realize that you're not hungover and you didn't drink.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ive heard of this

Hang in there bud
Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's happened to me once and I found it disconcerting. Hang in there!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hmmmm. I've had a few random headaches and I couldn't figure out why. Maybe these are "phantom hangovers?"

Sometimes if I work out too hard in the evening, I wake up with a workout hangover. It's both dehydration and too much physical exertion. Could that be what's going on with you?

Now that I don't drink, I actually realize I don't think to drink water as often as I should. Dehydration sneaks up on me & I usually don't feel the headache/hangover until the next day.

I'm finding that making hydration into a treat helps. And helps me fight cravings, too. Two birds! Been learning some new mocktail recipes. Stocked up on juices, grenadine, sodium-free club soda, bitters (yes I know bitters has some alcohol but for me a splash of bitters for flavor works just like vanilla extract or mouthwash-- it's not a trigger for me, and the drink remains NA). Or I just discovered I like to squeeze lemons and sliced cucumber into a mason jar of cold water and leave it in the fridge so I can grab it and go.

Every time I start sipping one of these hydrating healthy beverages, I realize I'm actually really thirsty

Maybe you're more dehydrated than you realize?

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clementina View Post
Hmmmm. I've had a few random headaches and I couldn't figure out why. Maybe these are "phantom hangovers?"

Sometimes if I work out too hard in the evening, I wake up with a workout hangover. It's both dehydration and too much physical exertion. Could that be what's going on with you?

Now that I don't drink, I actually realize I don't think to drink water as often as I should. Dehydration sneaks up on me & I usually don't feel the headache/hangover until the next day.

I'm finding that making hydration into a treat helps. And helps me fight cravings, too. Two birds! Been learning some new mocktail recipes. Stocked up on juices, grenadine, sodium-free club soda, bitters (yes I know bitters has some alcohol but for me a splash of bitters for flavor works just like vanilla extract or mouthwash-- it's not a trigger for me, and the drink remains NA). Or I just discovered I like to squeeze lemons and sliced cucumber into a mason jar of cold water and leave it in the fridge so I can grab it and go.

Every time I start sipping one of these hydrating healthy beverages, I realize I'm actually really thirsty

Maybe you're more dehydrated than you realize?

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Thanks for that Clemintina very good advice, actually I went for a run last night and long walk, more exercise than I have done in years so in hindsight I think I overdid it, small walk tonight and early night, hopefully no phantom hangover tomorrow morn, I have been drinking plenty of water and herbal tea today, I am feeling good now and put it down to what you wrote, more tomorrow with update
Old 01-15-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience on New Year's Day. Not a drop to drink the previous day and woke feeling hungover. Was not too happy about it, but it eventually passed. As others have written, make sure you're properly hydrated.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done and yes it happened to me too!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yep, it's happened to me, especially early on. It normalized out for me for sure. Hang in there!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lola23 View Post
Yep, it's happened to me, especially early on. It normalized out for me for sure. Hang in there!
How long did it take Lola? thanks
Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It happened to me early on. I'm at twenty-two months now and haven't experienced the phantom hangover in a few months. So maybe they're gone. We are all going to experience these things differently though, due to drinking habits, age, etc.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks!

A couple of weeks ago, I got what felt like the room "spins" while nodding off to sleep. Weird. I suppose it was my brain reminiscing on what's it like to be snockered and nodding off. :O
Old 01-15-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
It happened to me early on. I'm at twenty-two months now and haven't experienced the phantom hangover in a few months. So maybe they're gone. We are all going to experience these things differently though, due to drinking habits, age, etc.
Thanks Soberjennie, well done you, wow 22 months, yes suffering the phantom hangover a lot and memory probs especially in work hope it come back or even gets better as 53 now and not finished working yet lol