Notices

So worried....I quit my job today!

Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So worried....I quit my job today!

So many of you know I have been struggling for a while. I took a month off of work to focus on my sobriety and stayed sober for the entire time and was really starting to feel good. I started back to work after a month off and relapsed that very night after 29 days sober. :-( My job is VERY stressful but I have stayed there for the money.

After lots of soul searching and talking to a few friends and family I have decided to resign effective immediately. I'm scared to death of not having the money coming in but "hopefully" my husband's job will be enough for now.

I just feel like if I don't focus 100% on my sobriety & health I'm gonna be dead anyway so money won't matter. I am trying to trust God that this is the right decision but there is so much financial fear.

Do you guys think I made the right choice to quit my very stressful job to focus on my sobriety and life?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I've found that it is best not to second guess decisions once they've been made. It's time to take stock of where you are now and make a plan for moving forward.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For what it is worth, I stayed on a very high paying, stressful job and continued to drink my way into a PTSD and alcoholic breakdown. I have a lot less money now and really struggle, but my recovery plan is working...and it wouldn't have the other way.
I have a chance to stay alive.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Serenidad, I think you followed your heart when making that decision and that's what matters.

I'm glad you are taking the time to focus on your sobriety.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"I just feel like if I don't focus 100% on my sobriety & health I'm gonna be dead anyway so money won't matter"

CONGRATULATIONS!
on following your gut.
I did the same thing in 2009 and now, 6 yrs later I am at a perfect fit job-- I cant stop telling others to have the guts to leave whats NOT a good fit.
Good on you!!
Watch what good and exciting things will happen now.
Yoy have entered an exciting time!!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Serenidad, good for you! I agree that often our gut tells us what to do and when we listen to it, the path opens before our eyes.

Many years ago I left a job--a good job, in a competitive field. Folks told me I was crazy for leaving it, that i'd never find another one like it, etc., etc. But the fact was, I didn't like the folks I was working with or the values of the place. Each day my soul ached. Fast forward ten years. My current job is stressful, but I truly love my colleagues and those I work around and feel that what I am doing is of value.

Something will open up because now you are open to it. In the meantime, you are putting yourself and your sobriety first.

I am truly inspired by what you've done, Serenidad, and am cheering you on! xo
Old 01-14-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree... sometimes we all need to bust a move! Do what you need to do to take care of yourself
Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi serenedad
my partner also gave up his comfortably paid job to focus on his sobriety. He is now 10 months clean and sober and is volunteering at the moment.
Wishing you all the best x
Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think your putting your sobriety first and that is exellent Serenidad

I know your making a wise decision putting your sobriety first
Old 01-14-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yup, I'm with Anna. You followed your "gut"
After reading all the struggles you have gone through, I think this was probably the best decision.
takes balls to do that, so make sure you give yo bad self some credit.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Putting your sobriety first and following your gut... good move And I agree with Jazzfish above. Now's the time to focus on moving forward and what that entails, so find some peace about your decision. It's made
Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I try to stay out of the outcome business because that falls into the jurisdiction of my higher power.

I will say idle hands are the Devils work shop. I'm an AAer and anytime I wasn't working I hit 1-2 meetings a day, talked with my sponsor, and worked the steps
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your sobriety and your physical and emotional well-being are of the utmost importance at this time; you took action based on the importance of sobriety in your life. That's major.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h10-oriLfX0
Old 01-14-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livingnow View Post
Thank you so much livingnow! I cried through this entire video because it was exactly what I needed to hear at this very moment. Total God moment for me!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think you made the right move! I put my job ahead of my sobriety for years and ended up loosing it in an ugly way as the alcoholism progressed. If I had it all over to do I would of resigned and focused on getting stable sobriety then focused on returning to my career, pusuing a new one or going into business for myself. Just remember the AV will try to throw the resigning thing and less money in your face at some point. Don't listen to it! Beieve that God has a better plan for you and keep believing in yourself! U can do this.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My wife and I are in our mid to late 50's and during the course of our professional careers we've had to make decisions about employment. In every single instance we have chosen quality of life over money. I write that as a capitalist who owns his own business. We don't want to be poor, and are not, but mental and physical health along with time with family is more important than a few extra dollars. I guess that's a long winded way of saying I support your decision and admire your strength in making it.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What you did was very brave and I think a great thing. You have faith and you trusted your gut. Staying with any job that is soul killing just for the money isn't worth your health or happiness. You deserve better. I think you will be fine and now you can relax and focus on you.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your sobriety is the #1 most important thing. Jobs and money can be replaced, you cannot.

Very, very proud of you!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Serenidad, sometimes we have to put our health before all else. You can't put a price on it. And in this case, sobriety is important to overall health. I wouldn't worry about whether or not you made the "right choice". You did what you think is best for you and that is what is important.

All the best to you Serenidad