Notices

Don't want to be awake anymore.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't want to be awake anymore.

This week, I've dragged myself out of bed at 6:30 a.m., gone to work, counted down the minutes until my day is over, gone home and gone to sleep.

I don't like being awake right now. I feel crazy when I am awake. All of these thoughts are racing in my head. Old memories, thoughts, feelings that I don't want to feel. Fears, resentments, self-hatred. Negative self talk. And I can't turn it off.

It's not even coherent thoughts really. One thought is interrupted by another thought before it has a chance to finish. It's like 5 different radio stations on at the same time, hard to hear any one of them clearly, but the noise is irritating as h***.

The only time I am okay is when I am sleeping. The noise stops. My body rests. I snuggle with my puppy and I enjoy the peace and the quiet.

I guess I'm depressed or something.

I'm sure isolating and just going to sleep is not what I should be doing. But it's really hard right now when it's the only thing that seems to help the crazy.

Anyways. That's where I'm at this week.

Day 8 sober at least.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me too.I'm going to sleep now!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 days!

The thoughts will quiet down eventually. I have found exercise works really well. My thoughts were such an over powering jumble the first month I hardly know what I was doing. I am only 2 1/2 months sober but it has calmed a lot upstairs. I still get hit multiple times a day that feeling but it isn't all day anymore. I have found exercise has really helped me clear my head. It gives me a very clear goal to focus on and one I can achieve right then. I know for me it was hard to find the motivation but once I did having something I could aim for and reach right then and there gave me confidence. It also helps with setting up achievable goals with see able results in a short amount of time.

I would also look into PAWS if I were you. Reading about it helped me realize what I was going through was not only normal but to be expected after years of alcohol abuse.

Also a great book on early recovery is "Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down". Its all about early recovery and is written in short easy to read chapters so you can stay focused while your mind is all over the place.

Great job so far stick here this place is amazing and remember the only way out of this is through it.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was at that sort of place for a while too. Sleeping and isolating. Contrary to what many people believe about this being a dangerous place, I found it was a healing phase for me. The best way out can be going straight through the dark places. Just know when you've had enough and be ready to come into the sunlight on the other side
Old 01-14-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 8 Mrrryah

Sometimes we need a good rest to recharge our batteries

if you think its depression its better to see a dr and nip it in the bud

your going through a lot Mrrryah have a sleep see how you feel
Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 8 as well Mrrryah.

My emotions are ping-ponging on me...Angry, Sad, Despondent, Sad, ANGRY.

But they are slowly getting a bit more stable.

Hope you sleep well.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you called your sponsor, Mrrryah? Can you catch an afternoon meeting?

Sleep isn't a bad thing, at all. Sleep and rest when you need to.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations with your 8 days.
Many of us thought that putting the drink down would end our misery/pain. Well many perhaps did damage to our mental and emotional wellbeing and it takes time to clear up and heal.

This is a good time to make a plan to work on for long lasting sanity without alcohol/drugs.

My recovery included first to be honest with myself about my drinking and accept the fact that I can’t drink alcohol one day at a time in a row in safety.

I and most needed meetings with people who understood and encouraged us how it works.

BE WELL
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have racing thoughts when I abstain. I would characterize it as an "electrical storm" within my brain. Over time, I have found that it gets a lot better (my sober experiences). Hang in there.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

8 days is a great start! What you are experiencing is very typical, I went through it as well and i found it very hard. Sometimes all I could do was sit near a friend and watch TV, drink tea and try to relax myself as much as possible.

But, you should know, there are 2 choices you have in the recovery process:
- stick with it, and get through it, and eventually it will pass. Read the 12 promises of AA, they are true
- go back to drinking and face the same pain and devastation just much longer and potentially more difficult.

Other things that helped me greatly - drinking warm tea, going to an AA meeting, try to relax.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Mrryah,

Just sending you some cyber hugs & support. I can hear the desperation in your post, the fear really came through. Fear has a funny way of making us do things that we may end up regretting later. If going home & going to sleep is helping quiet your thoughts, take that for now. As cliche as it sounds: This too shall pass.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on 8 days.

If you need to sleep, sleep. Do whatever is giving you relief.

Wishing you well.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Right about now, sleep is your best friend... From what I hear this can last for 3 months or more...My God, I could fall asleep at my desk right here and right now , but i'd have 10 folks standing around me wondering what I was doing all the while trying to dislodge a headset mouthpiece from my nostril.. Hang in there ..
Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting 8 days sober. I think that Meditation could be so helpful for you. It would help to calm your mind and make feel more centered.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sleep is great. Soak in the rest.

Your brain get's a chance to heal and sort out the suppressed thoughts. Your mind will heal with time. Keep pushing trough.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In early recovery, after I returned home
from my 28 day rehab stay, I had to
resume my daily life as a mom and wife
besides staying sober.

28 days sober wasn't enough recovery
for me to replace or wipe away the past.
I had to begin using the tools and
knowledge taught to me in rehab with
steps and principles to rely on to begin
building a strong recovery foundation
to live my life upon.

Each step teaches me something new.
Teaches me how to clean away the
wreakage of the past, make amends,
and become responsible in recovery
and my life.

While attending my AA meetings to
learn how to work the steps, Id
return home to everyday life. Everyday
noises, children, etc. When I took care
of my duties and was left alone, I would
plug in some soothing music using my
headphones or listen to some speaker
tapes or anything inspiring, motivational
to block out those unwanted thoughts
or distractions.

I eventually began to go for walks or
jog in the park where I could hear
and see the birds, flowers, nature.
That gave me so much pleasure and respect
for the beautiful gifts provided to us
from Above.

Over time my spiritual part of my
life and program became stronger
and accepting. I realized that as
long as I have Faith in Something
much stronger than I, watching me,
guiding me, protecting me in all my
affairs then I had that calmness in
the mist of lifes storms.

Taping into that Special Resource,
that Calming Power then I can
remain sober, healthy and happy
for many one days at a time moving
forward in life.

You can too.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
This week, I've dragged myself out of bed at 6:30 a.m., gone to work, counted down the minutes until my day is over, gone home and gone to sleep.

I don't like being awake right now. I feel crazy when I am awake. All of these thoughts are racing in my head. Old memories, thoughts, feelings that I don't want to feel. Fears, resentments, self-hatred. Negative self talk. And I can't turn it off.

It's not even coherent thoughts really. One thought is interrupted by another thought before it has a chance to finish. It's like 5 different radio stations on at the same time, hard to hear any one of them clearly, but the noise is irritating as h***.

The only time I am okay is when I am sleeping. The noise stops. My body rests. I snuggle with my puppy and I enjoy the peace and the quiet.

I guess I'm depressed or something.

I'm sure isolating and just going to sleep is not what I should be doing. But it's really hard right now when it's the only thing that seems to help the crazy.

Anyways. That's where I'm at this week.

Day 8 sober at least.
Hi MYRRAH1...i am on the eve of day 5...i am finding it easier to have reasonably early nights...have you tried having a milky drink like Horlicks, or Ovaltine just before, or in, bed? will feed your mind and body and help with sleep. Congrats on Day 8