Notices

New Here

Old 01-14-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi all. Never posted on here before but hoping it will help me stay the course this time. 12 days today and feeling very good. Have some significant events coming up in the near future that have me very nervous about how I'm going to maintain the small progress i've made. Going away at the end of the month for a superbowl party with all male members of my in-laws family. No real way of getting out of it at this point. Will certainly be fun in that it's in a warm location with golf and beaches and stuff, but all just previous reasons for me to drink. And everyone there will be drinking pretty much the whole long weekend. Already planning on how deal with the many situations as they arise. Haven't really told anyone about my move to sobriety so that makes it challenging as well. Sorry to rant. Hoping I can get through that weekend as it will be my biggest challenge for a long time to come. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations on your 12 days.

The bad news is that it’s very dangerous to play with fire and the circumstances you describe is a blow torch.

You can obviously do what you choose to do but be forewarned that a relapse is something to be avoided because too many can’t return afterwards.
This may be the opportunity to live some more days sober.

BE WELL
Old 01-14-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi CC well done on 12 days i got to say even tho your saying you cant get out of it the risk factor is seriously high if they are all going to be drinking and your not planning on telling anyone your not drinking

Thats a recipe for a disaster if you know you can get through it sober fair enough

but your saying this is your biggest test and at 12 days i implore you to not go bud

is there no way you cant make it
Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome calvin and congratulations on 12 days...

you have two options

what most will recommend - don't go

or tell everyone you cannot drink for any reason and ask them all to support you to make sure you don't

good luck
Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and good for you with 12 days sober.

I would not go. There are always choices, some of them are not easy, but early recovery isn't easy.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ah man, it amazes me how much NFL culture is linked to drinking. a year ago, games were a great "reason" for me to get a buzz. i didnt even think of it consciously. watching game=liquor store run. now, as a non, im very conscious of it. just went to a game party (GO PACK!) and my sober buddy was my B.I.L.-because he was hungover. LOL! anyways, it was not so bad. i focused on the food, and thanked the higher power i dont have to worry too much about that.

the only slightly uncomfortable spot was when the game ended, and some of the imbibers became a little repetitive.

good luck, man!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i started my sobriety not too long after my last Chiefs game in December. I was surrounded by middle age drunks like myself and it was like looking in the mirror. I remember a look I got from a bartender when i asked for an extra shot of gin for my Bloody Mary.
I am not a big propent of NA beers but Calvin, that might be your lifeline on this trip . Odouls!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For years I struggled privately with my drinking. My friends knew I liked my booze and drank to excess on occasion but they didn't know about my drinking habits behind closed doors alone. This year I basically let my football buddies know the extent of my problem so they know not to invite me out to the sports bars. I am skipping super bowl parties this year. I am not strong enough in my sobriety yet to handle NFL playoffs sober.

Two years ago I got cut off from being served at the bar I was I at during the Super Bowl and walked out on my tab and passed out back home before the start of the 2nd half. Woke up the next day and had no recollection of anything. In fact, I can't remember the last time didn't wake up Monday morning after a super bowl wondering who won.

I love NFL, but I always used it as a license to get drunk with no questions asked. It's actually a great sport to watch sober. True story!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Calvin and well done on 12 days
Old 01-14-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, CalvinCoolidge, and congratulations on 12 days.

My suggestion is to skip the Super Bowl game and party. I realize that it is a big thing but your sobriety is so much bigger and so much more important for you.

Glad you found SR.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey well done on day 12 that's amazing. I'm on day 4 so far. Have to say I'm already panicking about being around people drinking and really don't think personally I could cope with that. You could always make up an excuse (such as your on antibiotics which will make you really sick if you drink or something) but do you feel you will be strong enough to be surrounded by people drinking for all that time and not give in? I know at some point we will all have to get used to facing alcohol (I'm even avoiding the alcohol aisle in tesco at the moment) but the situation you're describing is seriously jumping in the deep end and you don't want to drown! If there's absolutely no way to get out of it maybe write down all the reasons you need to quit and keep it with you when you get tempted? X
Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been in similar situations and was able to abstain...but, it was a big challenge. I took on the event as such...a challenge. And, I have also failed miserably under such challenges, at times.

Honestly, you would be doing yourself a big favor by finding a reason not to go. What is worth more, a "party"....or the rest of your life? You may not want to be "shamed" for not going...but when you are really sober, you will wear this like a badge of honor. And those who really care for you will see your action as a strength, not a weakness.