Notices

A nervous new comer ...

Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A nervous new comer ...

Hello,
My name is hilary and I'm an alcoholic. Those words I never thought I would say. My main abuse is binge drinking usually stemming from being alone and needing to run from my pain. I found this website while researching my addiction. I visited my first AA meeting tonight and it was one of the hardest things I have done, humiliating because I can't just pick myself off the ground and give up this addiction. I'm just hoping to talk to people on here who get what I am going through and who can show encouragement. But also be hopefully encouraging for someone else through my journey. I am a 23 year old who seemingly 'has it all together' yet am tortured by my dangerous habit that I know will destroy my
Life. Thank you for your friendship.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome shakeitout,

Your in the right place.

Ive been exactly where you are now youre not alone.

Youll find many good people on here who are really supportive and have a lit of really valuable insight and experience.

Its a good old challenge in the beginning and congrats on your first step to the new healthy you!

Are you still drinking?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Hilary,

Welcome to SR.
I found that one of the most difficult things was admitting to myself the extent of my problems. Unlike you it took me decades to manage it!

So well done on having the courage to attend your first meeting and writing your first post. This is a great place with a weath of information you can tap into.

I wish you the best of luck
Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Hilary Welcome youl find so much support here its nice to meet you
Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Hilary. It's a humbling thing to find the addiction has us. Ironically, it takes surrender to get out of its grip. You've taken the first step, recognizing you are addicted to alcohol. I hope you spend a lot of time reading here, post often, and don't drink. You can do this and have a great life.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you Hilary. SR is a great place to be with lots of support. Stay close to SR and post/reply often.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Hilary! And good for you recognizing the problem at a young age. Some of us drank for decades before getting to this level. Glad to have you here!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi.
You’re not alone with a problem, in this age there are many places for help for our addiction. Many years ago I chose AA and have no regrets since, it takes a lot of meetings with people who understand each other practicing the program to resist drinking and accept the fact that we cannot drink alcohol in safety one day at a time in a row.

This site has much very useful info from the successful and unsuccessful every day to take advantage of.

Getting and staying sober is work and requires us to make certain changes to remain sober but the results are wonderful. For example being comfortable in our own skin takes so much of the pains of everyday living away.

BE WELL
Old 01-13-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shakeitout11 View Post
Hello,
My name is hilary and I'm an alcoholic. Those words I never thought I would say. My main abuse is binge drinking usually stemming from being alone and needing to run from my pain. I found this website while researching my addiction. I visited my first AA meeting tonight and it was one of the hardest things I have done, humiliating because I can't just pick myself off the ground and give up this addiction. I'm just hoping to talk to people on here who get what I am going through and who can show encouragement. But also be hopefully encouraging for someone else through my journey. I am a 23 year old who seemingly 'has it all together' yet am tortured by my dangerous habit that I know will destroy my
Life. Thank you for your friendship.
Welcome Hilary! I too never thought I'd be able to sit comfortably with calling myself an alcoholic - today nearly 7 months sober I'm very comfortable with it. Proud even

Getting sober was the best thing Ive ever done. Well done on your first AA meeting too. All the help you need is available to you if you want it.

Wishing you well.

Leigh x
Old 01-13-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I still haven't made it to a meeting so I'm so impressed by you. Nicely done
Old 01-13-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Hilary, you should be very proud of yourself for going to a meeting, and for making this decision to stop drinking. I'm new to this too. I really think that with all this support we can be successful at reclaiming our lives!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Hilary

Glad you found us.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, It is hard to admit to addictions. I am one of those people that had my **** together, it was slowly falling apart. Its all up to you, only you can change your ways. And with the encougement of other recovering addicts, I have found the help i needed here, and at meetings. Keep coming back.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow. Reading all of this just made my week. Thank you so much for all the support. Like they told me a day at a time. I am currently only 3 days sober but 4 days since my last binge. I think that's how I could justify it in my mind. I would go 20 days without a drop and then go crazy and wake up having to deal with the mistakes drunken me did which is where the pain and humiliation came in, (and remorse for hurting people)! Thank you all for your amazingly kind words and encouragement-i can already see i have made the right decision. And to the poster who hasn't gone to a meeting yet, I was terrified, embarrassed, and cried the whole time. Couldn't even muster to say my name to introduce myself. But by the end I was empowered because I truly realized alcohol has had power over me for a long time it just manifested in different wayS. But I left knowing I had a problem. At your own time, because I know it's very hard, I encourage you to just go to one meeting. Mine was all women which helped.

Thanks! ☺️
Old 01-13-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Well done on recognizing your problem and taking action Hilary!

You'll love this website
Old 01-13-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well the good news is that you are still young and can make significant strides in recovery without having some of the negative/adverse effects of drinking into your late 20's 30's etc. This is a progressive disease, and will only get worse if it continues. You are young so you can get better more quickly than most others who drink later into life.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel like it's such a daunting task. I have spiraled so hard for 9 months and have apologized over and over again and promised 'it's the last time' that I don't know how to crawl out from under that. Unfortunately with my cycle I have hurt people.. And I feel like I am the boy crying wolf.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hilary!!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shakeitout11 View Post
I feel like it's such a daunting task. I have spiraled so hard for 9 months and have apologized over and over again and promised 'it's the last time' that I don't know how to crawl out from under that. Unfortunately with my cycle I have hurt people.. And I feel like I am the boy crying wolf.

Welcome, Shake, to SR. We understand how hard this is.

Commit to sobriety; commit to the work.

You will gain a new perspective on life and the beautifully long, happy and fulfilling future have ahead of you.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Is there any one thing that helped people in your darkest time? My family doesn't understand so it's hard to rely on their support because it's as easy as say no and don't go out... And they almost make fun of me that it's not that easy?