Notices

Constantly Starting Over

Old 01-12-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Constantly Starting Over

Hi all! It's been a while, but I've been lurking. I've been sober again for about 6 months. This seems to be my magic time frame when I start boozing again. Any old timers have some out of the box advice to avoid it? My good friend and sponsor fell off after 17 years!@?

Clearly I know the obvious, just don't do it, but what is it about relapse around the same time?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you TerriBob ... I think 6 months is awesome btw !!

Relapse is part of our addiction not part of our recovery I think it comes down on acceptance remembering how negative alcohol is for us

it will slowly kill us if we let it our bodies are not invincible i found out the hard way i should be dead from a fire that im now scarred for life from and i nearly ended up with wet brain

if i ever forget that i could die many thousands die each year & it would only be a matter of time before i became a statistic

'Choose Life' Stay sober you got us to lean on thru the hard times

i hope you choose to stay sober you can do this

ps sorry about your sponser
Old 01-12-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Five years ago I relapsed after six months sober. I woke up after drinking for two days sicker than hell and wishing I were dead. I was sick and tired of it and somehow found the courage to start again. And it's been over five years ago.

I had a lot of false starts. The key is to keep trying. Take drinking off the table as an option. Don't give up!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What is so appealing about drinking again after 6 months sober? Being sober sucks? Not being hungover sucks? Not wasting time and money on drinking sucks?

Start there.

We all have mental milestones that seem to make it ok to start again, because it's ok now, right?

For me at least, it isn't ok now, ya know? I have gone down that road many many times, and it always leads me wanting to be back where i am today, sober and figuring life out as it is, not being drunk. For me, that is two different lives and they can't coexist.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I appreciate the input. One thing I know I should do is spend more time here actively...
Old 01-12-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes Terribob you can find a class to join here its a thread for ppl who got sober around the same time

youl find your class here Newcomer's Daily Support Threads - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Glad your sticking around Terribob
Old 01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by terribob View Post
...what is it about relapse around the same time?
It's just one among many ways of framing a relapse, particularly when we have reservations about remaining sober.

The underlying thinking? "Well, I survived drinking (after X amount of time) last time. No reason I can't survive it again."

After relapsing for three years following twenty five years without a drink, my only responsibility was to do everything in my power to again get sober, and then to stay sober. Everything else was just noise.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Terribob

I think, if you feel unsure about your capacity to stay sober that's a pretty good sign to ramp up your recovery programme.

I really believe we get out of our recovery what we put into it.

Ask yourself what have I been doing for my recovery lately? is it enough? is there more I can do?

That applies to everyone here - day one or 20 years.

If you don't want to relapse, you won't

D