Notices

Needing a Bit of Advice

Old 01-12-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JD

Needing a Bit of Advice

I am currently day 9 of recovery I amazed myself at getting this far.. The only issue now is my anxiety, but I have been diagnosed with panic disorder. Also my energy is lacking a bit. I have the mind set to clean and get focus on being a parent and cleaning but I can't seem to just stand up and get moving. Anything I do I have to do in moderation due to the stress I put on my body which poops me out. Is this normal for day 9? And has anyone used any vitamins or organic foods to help with energy? I can't stand the smell or taste of energy drinks so is there anything else that might help? I don't exercise, yes I know it's horrible. I am coming off of opiates, hydro and oxycodone from 4 years use. Any advice givin is appriciated thanks and God bless
Old 01-12-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. I'm not here for opiates, but I figure it took four years of use to get you to this place (seeking recovery). Your body isn't going to overcome the effects in 9 days. Be patient. Don't put too much on your plate. Just focus on staying clean. That takes effort enough.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if you set small goals each day, maybe make a list of things you want to accomplish and get through 2 or 3 of them each day, that could help you to feel better.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Needing,
Good for you for getting off opiates. The first week is brutal, so you've already made it through a big challenge. I quit opiates a little over 9 months ago, and it took a while for my energy to come back. I found it hard to accomplish much in the first month, but I was able to do the things I had to get done, just not a lot more than that. It will take some time for your energy levels to balance out.
Eating healthy organic food is always a good idea, and I imagine it does help. I had a hard time eating at all in the first 4-6 weeks, and found nutrition shakes to be very helpful. There are some good organic ones, Vega is my favorite. It is important to stay really on top of eating, and for what you eat to be balanced and nutritious, even if it's hard to make yourself swallow anything.
As for supplements, google the Thomas recipe, I didn't use any of the medications it suggests, but did use the supplements, and found them very helpful. I don't think I'm allowed to list them here, we aren't allowed to give medical advice, but I would strongly suggest looking into them.
Are you getting any sleep? That was one of the hardest things for me in the first month after getting clean. I was exhausted almost all of the time, but I could only sleep for a couple of hours at a time, if that. The sleeplessness and exhaustion do pass though, you just have to ride them out. Now I'm sleeping like a pro again.
You said you don't exercise, and I know just how hard it is to get moving so early in the process of getting off of opiates, but it really does help. I couldn't do anything strenuous at that point, but I found that just getting outside and walking a bit was really good for me, as were some simple yoga sequences. Even just that little bit of physical activity helped to energize me, and make me feel better in other ways, too. For a few weeks after I stopped taking pills I was having these surges of anxiety, very intense, all consuming physical anxiety, and the only thing that really helped was walking outside, even if it was only once around my block. Just walking out my front door was enough to make me start to feel better.
For now, try not to worry about getting too much done, your energy will come back in time. Getting off of opiates is a big deal, and is much more important than having your house clean right now. You'll have your whole life to deal with stuff like that, for now just try to focus on doing what you have to, and taking care of yourself.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD

Thanks you to all the support and advice. To answer some of your questions, I have been sleeping perfectly with maybe 2 wake ups since day 4 and it was usually because I was craving water. I some how cleaned my whole house today and did all of my laundry (lazy style)..lol. and I haven't had rls symptoms since day 2. Is that odd? It's kind of unusual for me atleast. I can cravings sometimes and thoughts but very briefly and I'm too scared to even turn the other way. I thought I was dying the first 5 days. And I did get out a bit with my family to mc Donalds. I know it's unhealthy but my appetite is back and I kep it down so that's a plus. I wanna hope this is all in my head because I feel like I'm using the withdrawls as an excuse to be lazy. I was so active be for I started taking pills, outgoing, bubbly, funny. I miss myself sometimes. I feel lost a little bit. Thanks again for all the support ladies and gents. You lovely people are truly a blessing in disguise God Bless! JD
Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome to the family, needingafriend.

I'm not an expert on opiates but I should imagine that given time your body and brain functions will level out.

Be kind to yourself, you are achieving so much at the moment just by staying clean.

I think you are doing great, nine days is awesome
Old 01-13-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think nutrition is key, whatever the addiction was.

You body needs this to repair the damage. McDonalds is ok if it gets you in appetite, but there is absolutely nothing good in there for your body.

Lean meat, fish, nuts, plenty of fruits and veggies. Try that for a week or 2. You will be amazed how your body will thank you and bounce back.

Well done and keep fighting the good fight!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ohhh it definitely takes time..I am 8 weeks sober off beer and I still took 4 naps this weekend....Just need to be a slower pace for a while...That is as slow of a pace as your kidders will let you... Hang in there...
Old 01-13-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi, you're not going to get back to healthy normal energy overnight. Set yourself small challenges, and set the timer on the microwave to get them done in a really short time. Works for me!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think if you set small goals each day, maybe make a list of things you want to accomplish and get through 2 or 3 of them each day, that could help you to feel better.
This is really good advice. I remember taking an old fashioned wall calendar and writing down "accomplished tasks" every day. Seeing something written down every day made me feel like I was making progress.

As Carl said, don't expect your anxiety to magically disappear. We addicts and alcoholics are all about INSTANT GRATIFICATION but you'll have to remember that we're out of that game now. I myself am also prone to panic disorder as well as depression, and it took a while to settle down. If you are tired: rest. I'd stay away from energy drinks, coffee, etc. You are on Day 9, which is amazing! Let your body continue to re-adjust to this new reality.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Needingafriend its nice to meet you youl find lots of support here

Well done on day 9 sober !

I take Vitimins but only on the advice of my doctor it might be worth booking an apt ?

I completly agree with Annas to do list i get so much done by doing this i write up a list the night before of what needs done and then i write a list of what is possible

it helps me not to forget also
Old 01-13-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been drinking about 3 cups of coffee a day since sobriety. I really need that extra spark, and although it may not be ideal it's worked for me.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JD

Thanks again everyone! Day 10 it's amazing how much of a beating your body and mind can take while being and addict and getting clean. My life before pills was awful due to lack of family and some horrible things that happened to me. I'm a recovered anorexic and bulimic. I guess u could say I have an addictive personality? Hmm. Any who, I have found that using my calender to keep my sober days counted really give me a boost to my all around "ora." I keep thinking to myself, "How could you let yourself slip up and be the person you were always steering clear of?" It's tough to think about and hard to forget the past. I'm a dweller you could say. That's the reason I came here, gets my mind off of all my negitive thoughts. I think I let myself get the best of me alot so all of your encouragement and advise truly gives me a perk up to help with the instant gratification. Makes since? Even though today has been a rough patch I'm still fighting the "good fight." I know my dealer got their supply and it's really easy to say NO now. Big accomplishment for me. Thanks guys and gals! I am happy to call you guys my new and improved family. Keep on chugging along with me, it will become glorious!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
JD

When I say before pills I mean ages 1yr-12yr. Also I have a doctor apt tomorrow and I'm going to have her refer me to a psych. Feels good to not be scared to take a drug test.. woot woot!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Awesome work needingafriend!

Well done on day 10 and good for you in seeking the help you need to conquer this.

More power to you!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needingafriend View Post
Thanks again everyone! Day 10 Thanks guys and gals! I am happy to call you guys my new and improved family. Keep on chugging along with me, it will become glorious!
Yes, it WILL become glorious!!!!!

Welcome to SR, needingafriend.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR needingafriend

I think no matter what the drug it's gonna take time for you to feel ok - most of us abused our drug of choice for years...try and be patient - things really will get better

D
Old 01-13-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JD

I really just cannot tell each and every one of your thank you enough. I think God answered my prayers when I asked him to put people in front of me that could help me through my journey. I don't know if any of you believe in God or a higher power, and to me it doesn't matter what you believe in as long as u believe in something bigger than u I learned that from comparative religion courses.. but anyway, I realized today that I would let pills control mine and my husband's life. I have never felt a love so strong from him then the day we got married and that was 5 years ago. It's like I fell in love with him again and it has never felt so good. We have actually conversed, listened to one another, stayed up late like we were teens. He has been my rock through this whole process and he amazes me everyday as he walks this path with me. I know now that he isn't the addict, it was me. I used him drinking a beer every now and then on my pill taking. Ugh I wish I had a time machine to apologize. And I know this isn't a diary but it does help me get things that are either bothering me or making me so excited that I just have to tell someone. Thank you all and God bless each and every one of u from the bottom of my heart. <3
Old 01-13-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi, I used Kudzu, vitamin B and Iron tablets for the first two months. Really helped, but didn't really reap the benefits until my two months had passed, that was the critical turning point for me. Up until that point I felt really ill most days.

I still use iron tablets every day as I am diagnosed with iron deficiency anyway.

I also had 14 days of anxiety and AV overload before it started to get easier. It does get easier and you will get your health back, it's your mind and body repairing. It's important to acknowledge about the brain healing as alcohol affects the chemical balance in the brain and cell damage, but like any organ it can repair with time and my brain is gradually getting better and sharper.

You can do this !
Old 01-15-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JD

Thank you for the ideas. I was trying a multi vitamin but didn't seem to help. I've been having good and bad days with restful sleep 98% of the time since day 4. But I'm worried about the doctors apt I had yesterday. But before I fill everyone in I'll tell you how my addiction started. I was actually self medicating to take care of what I thought was phantom back pain. Well I finally seen my doctor and made her listen, come to find out I have scoliosis and no curve where I should have one. Example: side view is straight like a board. Back view has a curve almost like a c just not as prominent. So she issued muscle relaxers, steroids, and physical theropy. But if that doesn't help then they will issue me an mri and she said if they have to do an mri then that means surgery. I'm freaking out quite a bit and praying the physical theropy helps. I hate being in severe pain but I'm terrified of surgery so close to my spinal column. Please pray it helps. Thank you all in advance. It's going to be a tough time trying to get energy back while going to theropy.. ugh