Notices

saving my marriage

Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

saving my marriage

Good morning to each of you and thank you for allowing me to join this group. My husband has gotten himself a crack problem, I have no idea how to help him. I moved out because I do not like the person he has become. I love him but do not like him at this point. HOW DO I HELP HIM GET HIS LIFE BACK ON TRACK? He admitted he has a problem and has quit, I know you can not quit in one day. We are about to lose everything....any advice
Old 01-12-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can't "help" him cure his addiction.

Unfortunately, he has to want to help himself.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this but I think moving out was the right step.
Some addicts have to hit bottom before they think about quitting.

Are your finances such as bank accounts and credit cards seperated?
They should be if not, because crack addicts will often steal and sell anything, including assets of family members to support their habit.

I suggest you go to the Friends and Family of Substance Abusers section and maybe post there--perhaps the mods will move this thread as you can get more help from people who have direct experience with your situation.

Here is a link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tance-abusers/

Best to you and welcome to SR
Old 01-12-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Unfortunately you can't "Make" him get his life back on track. You can certainly be supportive of his efforts, but at the end of the day only he can do the work and make the effort to quit and stay sober.

You can seek help for yourself, Narc-anon is a group that helps spouses and partners of those with substance abuse problems. The forum suggested by Hawkeye might be of help too, there are many others in your situation there you can talk with.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome MattieJo youl find a ton of support here try these links

Nar-Anon Family Groups

NEW! 12-Step Support for Friends and Family - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information NEW! Secular Connections for Friends and Family - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, MattieJo. I am sorry what brings you here.

Great advice above.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You are not going to save him he has to save himself. You can help by getting phone numbers to NA, a doctor, and treatment centers.

If he makes the call it will the first step towards recovery. If not you have done what you can
Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mattie. Welcome to SR. What a timely topic. I am sorry you are dealing with this but you are in the right place. My husband is a crack addict/alcoholic and recently relapsed again. We've been married ten years this week and he has cycled in and out of sobriety that entire time.

First off. He has to want to quit. You can give him numbers to call but he has to do the work.

If you are out of the house and he is still using, stay out and take care of yourself. If he was at the point of stealing your stuff despite you hiding it and pawning things and you never knew where he is, I know you are exhausted. Staying out will give you a safe place to actually bteath and think. If he promises to get sober and to get help, still stay out of the house. Crack addicts are extremely manipulative. He will sweet talk you into wanting to hope things will get better. They do it until the heat is off.

Focus on you. I cannot say that too many times. . I will check back here later. Im typing on my phone and its terrible. I wanted to let you know I've been through it and understand. You can get through this.