Notices

Help me remember

Old 01-09-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me remember

Please help me remember...when I had a bad day and it didn't cross my mind to run to the store to buy a bottle of wine

Please help me remember when a long hot bath and a cup of tea was plenty to help me relax

When did it become so difficult to feel calm...?

There was a time when I didn't need to read self help books all day long and 3 hours of motivational videos at night to feel better

I feel exhausted
Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be strong & look to a new sober future.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It gets better, hang in there. It's taken me over a year and a half to learn how to self-soothe properly. Be determined to tough it out now. It's worth it.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there! I get tired and frustrated at trying to fix myself sometimes too. Perhaps some exercise or picking up a old/new hobbie? That helps me get out of my head
Old 01-09-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank again today. Please help me go back to the sober life. The panic right now is unbearable.

The cravings are exhausting but this panic I feel after I had a few drinks is so much worse.

I feel like I've been battling this demon for so long that I have no more strength left.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Patricia

you can get to the kind of life you want again, absolutely

I think it's imperative you stop thinking of drinking a a viable option tho - whatever fears or stresses are driving you to the bottle, there has to be healtheir better ways to deal with them?

If SR is not enough to help you stay sober maybe it's time to look at other avenues of support as well?

D
Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR is been wonderful. It's me Dee. I keep thinking that I can control this addiction. I am smart. I am talented. I went through a lot and survived. I can control this.

And then someone asks me out for a coffee. A nice new neighbour. And I panic. I am terrified of people. And I want to run as far as I can and hide. But I said yes to her...and mid morning I realized I was too terrified to go out so I drank...stupid idea.

My counselor keeps telling me to try little baby steps. My Dr keeps prescribing addictive drugs to deal with anxiety.

And I am exhausted. I remember a time in my life when feeling content didn't take so much effort. It was natural. I didn't need drugs or alcohol to feel comfortable.

I want that back...
Old 01-09-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the first step back for anyone is to stop drinking Patricia.

Drinking just kills any progress we make because we not only have the original anxieties then, but also a whole new set of anxieties and fears from drinking....it gets exponential very quickly....

I dunno if you shared your history with your Dr but finding a Dr who won't prescribe you addictive meds is a good idea too

It is baby steps with anxiety...it needs patience, commitment and a little faith that things will get better.

I'd been anxious all my life - it took me months to turn that around with little baby steps but I did

You can too. It's definitely not beyond you

Every time you face a situation sober and get through is a little step closer to the life you want to live, Patricia.

No better time to start than now

D
Old 01-09-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Will it get better Dee? Promise? i am so tired
Old 01-09-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will, but don't just take my word for it

None of us would be here if it didn't get better Patricia

It's exhausting carrying all our fears and stresses and anxieties around, and trying to fit in drinking as well.

It will get better when you lay some of that burden down

D
Old 01-09-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post

When did it become so difficult to feel calm...?
You feel the anxiety because you drank I am sorry.

You just have to get off the alcohol because it intensifies it. I know it seems hard but you really have to do whatever it takes to stop drinking and get a couple days under your sobriety belt before things in your mind/body will lessen anxiety wise.

Your pouring poison on pain.

My only rule in the beginning was "don't drink" that was enough for me for the first few days cause it was all I could handle as my anxiety was like yours. I also stayed really close to SR.

Hang in there. Drinking isn't worth it and a much better life does exist if you can leave it alone.

Rooting for you
Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sending you peaceful and supportive thoughts, Patricia. It does get better---so much better. And even when it feels bad, Dee is so right: alcohol never makes a bad situation better.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you...I am going to hold onto that tiny little bit of faith that I have right now and hope it'll get better.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The main thing that keeps me from drinking is the horrible anxiety alcohol gives me. If I have even 1 or 2 drinks, I feel anxious within 20 mins if i don't keep the drinks flowing. A night of binging will keep me awake for 3 days with a racing mind and sense of impending doom.

I don't care about being physically hungover with headaches and nausea. That I can deal with. It's the mental anguish that I can't deal with. It's what keeps me on week long binges. It's torture to me.

However, the panic and anxious thoughts are not genuine. Sure, you have things that you worry or stress about, but the booze makes them seem much more urgent and bigger than they really are.

Acknowledge the anxious thoughts are there but keep reminding yourself that they are just silly stupid thoughts that will pass as soon as the booze gets out of your system. Things are not as bad as they seem. I promise u that Patricia!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rest patricia. Rest. It's ok. Stop drinking and just rest your weary eyes.

Once you have some rest in you (and i mean don't do anything else!) Evaluate how you feel.

Did you take a long hot bath today, and have some tea? It not try that. I bet it still works to calm you after a hard day
Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Patricia, what are you doing for your sobriety? Are you following any plan or program? I had to get a plan and work on it daily. The additive voice is clever.

If you read about AVRT and Rational Recovery, give it a read. It made total sense to me and I could finally separate myself from the alcohol.

Also, regarding the panic, much of that comes from the alcohol, I'd bet. If you haven't had a good check up recently. See about getting one. Also, many anti anxiety drugs have rebound anxiety and that makes it very hard to get off them. You might ask your doctor about a beta blocker called atenolol. I take very small dose daily. 25 mg. it doesn't make me sleepy or cloud my consciousness in any way. It's commonly prescribed for stage fright. It does lower the blood pressure.

You can do this.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
learning to live

"if you're brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello"

just read this quote somewhere and it made me think of you I have been where you are and there is a way out
Old 01-09-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
The main thing that keeps me from drinking is the horrible anxiety alcohol gives me. If I have even 1 or 2 drinks, I feel anxious within 20 mins if i don't keep the drinks flowing. A night of binging will keep me awake for 3 days with a racing mind and sense of impending doom.

I don't care about being physically hungover with headaches and nausea. That I can deal with. It's the mental anguish that I can't deal with. It's what keeps me on week long binges. It's torture to me.

However, the panic and anxious thoughts are not genuine. Sure, you have things that you worry or stress about, but the booze makes them seem much more urgent and bigger than they really are.

Acknowledge the anxious thoughts are there but keep reminding yourself that they are just silly stupid thoughts that will pass as soon as the booze gets out of your system. Things are not as bad as they seem. I promise u that Patricia!
That's exactly how I feel. The panic and sense of impending doom are torture.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
Rest patricia. Rest. It's ok. Stop drinking and just rest your weary eyes.

Once you have some rest in you (and i mean don't do anything else!) Evaluate how you feel.

Did you take a long hot bath today, and have some tea? It not try that. I bet it still works to calm you after a hard day
Im trying to sleep. I am drinking lots of water and laying in bed. Repeating silly little mantras "everything is ok", "i am loved"...and then a wave of panic comes out of nowhere...
Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi patricia, I can relate to what you're feeling. Firstly, I couldn't cope when I was drinking, thought the booze helped but in reality, heightened my anxieties. Secondly, since I've stopped, at the beginning, my emotions were all over the place.

The only thing I was sure about was I wasn't going to drink, however rough the road got. I posted on sr, like yourself and with all the help and encouragement I did get through it.

It wasn't easy for me but it is worth it and all the 'life problems' I had to deal with wasn't half as bad as the problems I had when I was drinking.

You can do it.