Notices

OK, here i am again and i need help.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OK, here i am again and i need help.

Hello,

I,m new here but not new to trying to get sober.

I have been an alcoholic for 30 years, i tried over the years to stop drinking and was sober for 12 months straight at one stage but i got lazy and then started the downward spiral again.

But now ive had enough and need help.

Ive never been on a forum before so please forgive me if a sound a little silly at times but i would really appreciate any help and advice from anyone who is willing to give it.

Today im day three and feeling very wobbly. Im going to go an AA meeting tonight which im really nervous about as i havent been to a meeting in three years.

Im looking forward to feeling a little normal if that is at all possible and reading any advice that might help me finally stay sober.

Thanking you

Em
Old 01-09-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here. I hope the meeting is helpful to you.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Em

You will enjoy the AA meeting tonight I am sure - at least you won't have 'never been before' nerves. Welcome to SR - without a doubt I would have found getting sober but more importantly, staying sober, much much more difficult without this site. It's good to have you on board

I'm nearly 2 years sober now after a 23 year 'career' - sooo glad that I don't even have any desire to drink now.

Hang in there and pop in often!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Glad you found us! What's on your mind?

I also attend AA.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Embill, Welcome! Proud of you for doing the hard thing of reaching out and asking for help. A few things that have helped me:

1.) I joined a sober class. I looked for December 2014 as I got sober in December and I check in there daily. We support each other and are developing relationships. It helps me a lot. There is a sober class January 2015.

2.) I go to an AA meeting everyday, even if I don't want to, I go. So far, I don't drink and I am meeting others.

3.) I get busy when I am craving. Cravings last 10-15 min. Sometimes I get one after another, sometimes I get a reprieve, but I move around. Clean something or call someone or walk (if able).

We don't have to drink or use ever again. Even if we want to, we don't have to.

We can do this!

Dax
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm currently on day 12, and certainly not a newcomer when it comes to getting sober. I know how hard the first few days/weeks are. Good on you for having a meeting lined up for tonight. I, too, was nervous about gong back, and once there, realized I was making a big deal about nothing. It took a 1.5 years of being back out before I had enough humility to step back in the rooms. New and familiar faces have been nothing but supportive. I also found this website to be invaluable, especially during the sleepless nights. Good luck, and stick around.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, you'll find lots of support and information here.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, embill. Glad you found us.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome!!

I'm glad you're headed to a meeting. I know it can bring about anxious feelings, but you will find that there is a fellowship awaiting you that will be a tremendous support and source of encouragement and guidance if you allow it.

When you're at the meeting, I encourage you to ask for a Big Book - "Alcoholics Anonymous" the text of the program. It is one of the best books you can read to gain a lot of very good insight to the struggles we face in confronting and freeing ourselves from alcohol. It is also the 'playbook' for how to do it!

We are here for you, let us know how the meeting goes!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to a chance to get sober again long term.
I know the nervous feeling as I get it to a lesser degree when attending a meeting I’ve never been to before even though I haven’t drank for a lot of years and still go to 3-5 meetings a week. Just self centered fear I guess. The result is the good feeling being among people who understand.

KEEP COMING AND BE WELL
Old 01-09-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome to the family
Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Embill its nice to meet you

Youl find so much support & understanding here
Old 01-09-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello!! I just went out and was still in AA so had to admit to my relapse. I've relapsed a good deal and guess what, we're all addicts so most of the people have been there and can relate to your experience. Not all but a lot of us struggled to get sober and didn't get it the first time around. I found that I was met with a lot of compassion and understanding because this is a disease and it's not easy. The important thing is that you're coming back. It's not easy to humble yourself to do that. I felt a lot of shame initially but now I stand up and state I'm in my first 30 days because that way I get the support that I desperately need right not but won't ask for and also your story might really help someone who is struggling and thinking about going out again.

Good job, stay the course and I'll keep you in my thoughts. I've been going to one to two AA meetings a day because I'm sick and my head likes to tell me I'm not an alcoholic or all sorts of other things. I'm doing the work because I cannot live like I was.

Keep posting and best of luck.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi em - welcome

we're all pretty friendly here, and this forum is a good place to start. Read post and ask questions as much as you like

D
Old 01-10-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Em
Hope today has been a good day
Old 01-10-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Welcome! It gets easier every day, trust me on this.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Em! Welcome!
Old 01-10-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Em, it's great to meet you!

I was a 30 year drinker too. It almost took my life before I decided to seek help. I came here over 7 yrs. ago & I never looked back. The encouragement and friendship has helped me find the courage to change my life. Also, not feeling alone anymore has made me less anxious about the whole thing. We're so glad you're here. You can get free.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I went back to AA

Well i did it, i went back to my first AA meeting in three years.

I was so scared and nervous i nearly didnt go. But i did and im so happy i did.
i was welcomed with open arms, no one judged me and every one seemed to understand that
people do go back out there and realise that the place they need to be is with people who truely understand this insidious disease.

Although im still very wobbly Im starting to finally realise that i truely need help and i and so happy to have found SR.

thank you all for sharing its really helping me.

One moment at a time.

Em
Old 01-11-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Em

Way to go! So glad you made it and came back to tell us here. We are all with you in mind and spirit