Let the games begin!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let the games begin!

OK...I see how its going to be, I see how it is. And games it is.

He called to let me know that his mother will be here around 3pm. He then tells me that he got her a hotel room. Then says he isn't sure if he is going to tell his mom or not, but has already let her know she will be staying in a hotel BECAUSE I HAVEN'T CLEANED OUT OUR SONS ROOM AND THERE IS NO ROOM FOR HER IN OUR 3400SQFT HOME! I see... IT'S MY FAULT FOR NOT CLEANING A ROOM that she is staying in a hotel. Hmm.. ok. I see how it is. I see how its going to be. He is NOT ready to do the work that needs to be done. He isn't ready for anything other than game playing and white knuckling until he can't white knuckle anymore. I'm p*ssed. Yes, sir, I am. I can just imagine what my white glove MIL, who I love dearly, will have to say and the Q's she will ask w/o my AH home from work. This ought to be fun.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OMG!!! What a jerkwad!!

if it were ME and I know that it's not, I would make sure my sons room was sparkling clean!! what a LOAD OF ********!!!

I don't even know what to say to this one, except I'm FURIOUS for you!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Katchie.....does he assume that h is mother is Stooopid? Don't you think that she is going to sense that something is out of kilter.......

dandylion
Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Katchie.....does he assume that h is mother is Stooopid? Don't you think that she is going to sense that something is out of kilter.......

dandylion
I sure as hell hope she senses the weirdness of this. That would take a load off of me.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really am curious to see the replies to this one...he really put this problem BACK in your lap. I'm curious to see what advice you get on how to handle this.

My AH did something similar with the divorce thing. He told me he wanted one, I said ok. then he came back several hours later with the ultimatum/boundary about my sister and said HE would wait for ME to decide on whether I would respect it. So he did the same thing, in so facto- tried to put it back on me...
Old 01-09-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post

dandylion
This is true, but what do you do when she DOES notice something isn't right? Tell her straight up?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know. All I know is I don't want to lie and cover for him anymore. I feel like, if she asks about this based on the obvious strangeness of it, that I should be truthful. But in the world of addiction, is that the right thing to do? I don't know. I sure has hell don't appreciate being his scapegoat. It shows the level of disrespect he has for me and if very hurtful.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The truth shall set you free, Katchie
Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katchie View Post
I don't know. All I know is I don't want to lie and cover for him anymore. I feel like, if she asks about this based on the obvious strangeness of it, that I should be truthful. But in the world of addiction, is that the right thing to do? I don't know. I sure has hell don't appreciate being his scapegoat. It shows the level of disrespect he has for me and if very hurtful.
While I agree that you should be truthful, I just get concerned about you being put in that position. That just plain sucks.

I'll be praying for you today Katchie- you don't deserve this ******** after all the ground you've been gaining. Ugh.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would be truthful if asked a direct question because *I* can't lie about stuff like this. There is NO benefit to protecting him in this situation, IMO.

I might also say something like, "So glad to see you! I'm sorry that you aren't staying with us but AH felt you might be more comfortable in a room closer to where he is staying. Care for a cup of coffee?" and just pretend you have no clue he's given her a load of BS already.

Is that snarky?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not saying anything unless asked directly. I'll let him navigate his rotten, sinking ship and reap the consequences when they happen. But, if she asks, I will speak the truth.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Katchie, IMO, tell the truth. Don't join him in his games or whatever he thinks he's accomplishing by saying that. It's so silly and manipulative. Whatever you feel comfortable saying to your MIL say it and don't worry about his reaction. Let him know right from the start you won't lie for his convenience or ego.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 01-09-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katchie View Post
I sure as hell hope she senses the weirdness of this. That would take a load off of me.
At family week2, the counselor related taking offense to literally reaching out with our arms and picking it up. You're not required to pick up this load. One of my favorite quotes from Alanon is "it's not my business what others think of me."

It really isn't personal. He's likely feeling backed into a corner, scared and reaching at anything he can think of to not have to face this. I've had a lot of hard threshholds to cross. None so hard as telling my mom I'm an addict, and none with those kind of mental and physical brain issues going on.

IMO, this lie looks like a pretty normal part of the merry-go-round he's riding. You have a choice whether to jump on it or not. Last month the phrase "not my monkey, not my circus." came to mind fairly often, giving me both comic relief and another option on how I can choose to take the moment at hand.

If you want to tell your mil the truth, it's okay to do that. Maybe go out to coffee or shopping with her.

Whatever you do, God is with you.

Pray, trust in God. You're doing very well and great things are ahead for you.

-----

God is my Source.
There is that within me
That knows what to do and how to do it.
All is well.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I told him, "I don't like that I've been made the reason she isn't staying here; because I didn't clean our sons room when we have an upstairs couch he can sleep on. If your mom smells a rat and asks me straight up what's going on I will not lie to her. I'm not playing games anymore." No response yet.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you.

Any plans today that are purely for you?
(((Hugs)))
Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Perhaps his scent and his lower GI issues will give her a clue? She will want to know why someone so obviously ill is not home in their own bed, but at a hotel.

It will be difficult for him to convince he is a victim of "bad housekeeping"...or perhaps she will ask him why HE doesn't help out "cleaning"

it's really NOT a believable story, does he think his mother is an idiot?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Double-post. Sheesh, you guys are fast.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm getting ready to babysit for 30 minutes a newborn...I'm really excited about that! Then, the boys have a game this afternoon and of course, my MIL is coming for a visit and to watch the boys play. I do really love her. she has been a well of wisdom in other areas of my life.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you! I like all the responses to this thread. I was wrong- he ATTEMPTED to put the problem back in your lap, but YOU didn't take the bait!

I'm starting to see this "event" as an emerging victory for you!!!!! I admire you so much, you have no idea!