Notices

Romancing Alcohol

Old 01-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Romancing Alcohol

I now have a year and a half, yet sometimes when I am watching a movie or reading a book they are having their wine with dinner and I feel a little sad. As long as we romance alcohol, it will be hard to leave it behind for good. We have to see it for the cunning evil drink it is for us alcoholics. This has given me a problem in the past. I think, some day I may be able again to have a glass of wine with a good dinner. That is dumb, what has a glass of wine ever done for me. Nothing! It is not enough for a buzz and more only makes a fool out of me. There is no true romance there, only a slippery slope. I have learned, Alcohol is the enemy to every alcoholic. Nothing romantic about how it makes us act, takes our self respect and control. I think we need to learn to call it what it is. At least I need to remember this. Nothing romantic about being drunk, and nothing great about a glass of wine. One glass of wine has no more kick then a glass of water, but it does let us make the dumb decision to have a lot more and ruin our lives. Just thinking out loud. I don't think I will ever romance alcohol again. It was a rotten lover.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a year and a half, hunt.

And AMEN!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too have romantacized alcohol. I guess I'm a romantic at heart . Our culture influences this heavily.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post Huntington!

Congratulations on your 18 months.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amen and AMEN!!! So true! We have to go against the grain and say" no it's not for me!" There is nothing pretty about it and ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH! Thanks for the great reminder!!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 18 Months Hunt that is awesome you are doing really well and you are a good friend

Congrats on the milestone keep up the awesomeness
Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the post! this is my achilles heel with booze. i just can't get out of my head that i am giving something up that i love and missing out on good times. there is a brief period when i drink that i do love how i feel, but the evils far outweigh that short lived feeling.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post. Congrats on a year and a half!!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post, Huntington. It really spoke to me, especially given that I'm heading out for a romantic weekend next week,and I catch myself thinking, surely I can have one glass of champagne?

Before I go, I need to reread the chapters on alcohol and romance in Drink: A Love Story

Congratulations on a year and a half of sobriety. That is very inspiring.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Many congrats on 18 months, Huntington

Happy for you.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

congrats to you!
alcohol was a rotten lover! lol yup.

it was like that best friend in high school, that you trusted and thought had your back...then one day you find out, she's been talking smack about you and slept with your BF. Then the real her came out. Not to be trusted and playing you all along. That b1tch.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
...holds the key

It was a rotten lover, indeed.

Well done on 18 months!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I experience daily "romantic" thoughts. I drink NA beers too although it is becoming less and less, the thing with me and why it has worked is that the romantic thought has been immediately followed with the reality check thought of the hangover or the thought of how I was drinking. As long as the alcohol association to me brings those thoughts I'll be In good shape!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exactly my thoughts, if I should add anything it would be that what worked for me after trying to get sober dozens of times during my 30 plus years of abusing alcohol. Is the fact that I had to accept the fact that I do not want to drink anymore and accept that it doesn't do anything for me and it leads to nothing but misery. Once I got the decision through that I am not going to use alcohol anymore it finally began to fall in place for me. Does it take will power to a certain extent? Yes it does. Merely leaving it to a higher power never worked for me. I had to want to be sober to really get it.