Notices

Sober New year and Birthday

Old 01-08-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober New year and Birthday

If you would have asked me 2 months ago if I would be sitting here on my computer checking in with strangers to talk about alcoholism, I would have laughed at you! I really can't believe that I finally made the decision to stop drinking and it wasn't something that was really planned. Just like most of you, the AV told me that I could drink moderate by trying all types of different methods over the course of 18 years or so.

So here I sit with almost 47 days down and onto 48! My birthday is on Sunday and I will have 50 days. I am actually excited to turn 37 because I am sober and starting to feel better. I look at this year as an opportunity to accomplish many things in my professional, personal, physical, and mental areas of my life. I had to go through all of the withdrawals, fits of crying, anger, sadness, and anxiety right after my grandfather passed away. I stopped a week after he passed after spending time with family and realizing that some of them are toxic to me and others are just so sad and dependent on some form of substance. The ride was hell at the beginning but to all of the friends on here with a few days, weeks or under and month... it does get better. I had a stressful day today but have no desire to drink. I really haven't had any cravings in over a week. It still flashes through my mind on occasion, like what will I do in the summer when it is nice out and I want a cold beer? Then I stop myself and remember to live in the moment. Who knows how I will feel about drinking in May? I just know now that the key is to remember where I was, forgive myself for the things I have done in the past, and be proud of the things I am accomplishing now. This site is a godsend!!! Thank you all for sharing your lives with me and allowing me to share mine with you! Together we are more powerful than if we were to battle this alone.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I am very tired and when you had written "stop and remember to live in the moment" I read "stop and remember I live in Vermont". LOL

Congrats! That is really good and it keeps getting better. I quit at 36 too!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy 37th birthday & well done on day 48 that is awesome AngD

Congrats your doing really well
Old 01-08-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nice work angd. I never thought SR would come to mean so much to me either. Not sure what I'd do without my friends and the encouragement I find here.

Wish I'd been in my 30's when I saw the light. I went on much longer, insisting I could manage it. You'll be avoiding so much misery.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday! I quit 12 days before my Birthday...I was barely awake for my Birthday and working at the same time! Congrats on the 50 days!