Challenges

Old 01-07-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Challenges

So, after my illness (which am still recovering) & the impending loss of employment on my part. We are together but feel that he needs support before full on relapse but there is a waiting list.
What can I do to help him?
I have requested counselling for myself & new pai meds have antidepressant properties.. We have to now rely on the state as have arrears in our housing.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself. He is an adult, and if he chooses to take a relapse, he can also choose to find the help he needs.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

considering YOU are still recovering from a hospitalization and YOU are about to lose YOUR job, how about you focus on helping YOU and let HIM worry about HIM? for once?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am helping me - arranging counselling, arranging financial aid, resting too. Am thankful for BF - he has been almost a househusband.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What can I do to help him?
Give him the dignity to take care of himself. If he is struggling he needs to care for himself.

I was hospitalized for a week in December and my alcoholic husband and I have two daughters who are 3 and 1. He relapsed a few days after I was discharged from the hospital. You know what I did for him? I let him figure life out on life's terms and I didn't hold his disease against him and I held firm in my boundaries. If I'm taking care of myself then we're not reacting against each other. Codependent qualities and alcoholic qualities are like flames and fuel. If you take one away then the blow ups aren't so extreme.

You take care of you (to the best of your abilities) and let him take care of him.