Notices

For Those Interested in Trying AA

Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For Those Interested in Trying AA

There are countless threads for persons who are interested in trying AA. AA isn't for anyone but it seems to have helped many, including me, even though I had problems with some aspects of it. Anyway, a good way to begin is to seek out an "Open" Speakers Meeting. You need only listen, you need not say you're an "alcoholic". You can talk with folks after the meeting is over, make new friends. I remember 26 years ago I went to a number of these speaker's meetings and some of them were truly inspiring. One speaker I vividly recall seemed to have been reborn, so dramatically happy. It was pure sunshine just watching her. And another speaker with long time sobriety left most of those in the audience walking on air. Why not try this? It may help. If not, try something else. Rational Recovery, Smart Recovery. Just don't pick up a drink. Never surrender!

W
Old 01-06-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Great idea! Open speaker meetings are totally non threatening and great to see the variety of people they attract. Come to Fremont MI the first Saturday in February and listen to my story if you are hard up for entertainment
Old 01-06-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well said wwarpaintw

nice post
Old 01-06-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
There are countless threads for persons who are interested in trying AA. AA isn't for anyone but it seems to have helped many, including me, even though I had problems with some aspects of it. Anyway, a good way to begin is to seek out an "Open" Speakers Meeting. You need only listen, you need not say you're an "alcoholic". You can talk with folks after the meeting is over, make new friends. I remember 26 years ago I went to a number of these speaker's meetings and some of them were truly inspiring. One speaker I vividly recall seemed to have been reborn, so dramatically happy. It was pure sunshine just watching her. And another speaker with long time sobriety left most of those in the audience walking on air. Why not try this? It may help. If not, try something else. Rational Recovery, Smart Recovery. Just don't pick up a drink. Never surrender!

W
Well said WPW!