Notices

90 days...ramblings...

Old 01-06-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

90 days...ramblings...

With newcomers in mind, I'm not going to go into all the ups and downs, but maybe someone can relate to a bit of history.

I drank and took drugs for 38 years.

I drifted through life, not able to process emotions or past hurts, simply floating wherever life chose to take me. I made up new age excuses for my lack of direction, such as " I always go with the flow, it's fate, its destiny, nothing is real anyway ".

For all my hippy new ageyness, though, I was a liar, a waster, a burden on society and a manipulative drama queen- a real pain in the a**. Far too self- centred to walk my talk.

I didn't end up in hospital, in a mental institution or a prison cell.

I did cultivate bad attitude, defensiveness and a chip on my shoulder.
My drinking career has been one long string of bad relationships, casual jobs, bad credit, laziness, drama and self pity, absolutely no self- control, and a total inability to do anything about any of it.

I turned away from any kind of real spirituality.

Everything was everyone else's fault, and I prided myself on my alternative lifestyle, and all those "straight" people were wrong and misguided. I was ridiculously judgemental.

I realise now that I felt frozen, encased in a bubble of helplessness, detached from the real world by the armour of my rebelliousness. I put a great deal of energy into trying to run away from myself.

It's hard to look at all those years gone by with pretty much nothing to show for 52 years of life on this planet, and I deeply regret that.

But now, at least I can salvage what's left of my life, and perhaps turn it around and be of real, concrete use to someone, and to society, at last. I have old issues to sort out now, and work to do on myself, but that's something that must be faced, so I will face it. And I' m grateful to be able to even write that.

I've only just started on this journey. It's still going to be a roller coaster, because that's what life is.

But the main thing is, I'm present. I'm here. I'm trying to be a better person. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I do have faith that I will find the way, with God's grace.

My addictions twisted and distorted everything that is good and wholesome. Everything.

Thank you guys

Without you, I would still be lost
Old 01-06-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are awesome Janie J 90 days is fantastic

Congrats on exellent work towards your sobriety
Old 01-06-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautiful, insightful post, JanieJ.

Congratulations on 90 days!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JanieJ,

You are not alone, we are not alone. Be brave, be beautiful, be young in how you see this great new place. We my be strangers but I find solace in your having found your new heart
Old 01-06-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well done Janie - congrats on 90 days and seeing life again
Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days Janie, I drank for close to 30 years. The last 10 were no picnic its never to late to start a sober life. Things are so much better now, keep going
Old 01-06-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That was an engaging and brutally honest self reflection Janie. Congrats on your sobriety.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
But the main thing is, I'm present. I'm here. I'm trying to be a better person. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I do have faith that I will find the way, with God's grace.:
This! Wherever we've been, wherever we are, we deserve to go forward in peace and happiness. Thank you for an inspiring post!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
With newcomers in mind, I'm not going to go into all the ups and downs, but maybe someone can relate to a bit of history.

I drank and took drugs for 38 years.

I drifted through life, not able to process emotions or past hurts, simply floating wherever life chose to take me. I made up new age excuses for my lack of direction, such as " I always go with the flow, it's fate, its destiny, nothing is real anyway ".

For all my hippy new ageyness, though, I was a liar, a waster, a burden on society and a manipulative drama queen- a real pain in the a**. Far too self- centred to walk my talk.

I didn't end up in hospital, in a mental institution or a prison cell.

I did cultivate bad attitude, defensiveness and a chip on my shoulder.
My drinking career has been one long string of bad relationships, casual jobs, bad credit, laziness, drama and self pity, absolutely no self- control, and a total inability to do anything about any of it.

I turned away from any kind of real spirituality.

Everything was everyone else's fault, and I prided myself on my alternative lifestyle, and all those "straight" people were wrong and misguided. I was ridiculously judgemental.

I realise now that I felt frozen, encased in a bubble of helplessness, detached from the real world by the armour of my rebelliousness. I put a great deal of energy into trying to run away from myself.

It's hard to look at all those years gone by with pretty much nothing to show for 52 years of life on this planet, and I deeply regret that.

But now, at least I can salvage what's left of my life, and perhaps turn it around and be of real, concrete use to someone, and to society, at last. I have old issues to sort out now, and work to do on myself, but that's something that must be faced, so I will face it. And I' m grateful to be able to even write that.

I've only just started on this journey. It's still going to be a roller coaster, because that's what life is.

But the main thing is, I'm present. I'm here. I'm trying to be a better person. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I do have faith that I will find the way, with God's grace.

My addictions twisted and distorted everything that is good and wholesome. Everything.

Thank you guys

Without you, I would still be lost
Congratulations on 90 days Janie! Loved you post. I relate to so much of what you said.

Well done again.

Leigh x
Old 01-07-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eshgham View Post
That was an engaging and brutally honest self reflection Janie. Congrats on your sobriety.
yeah I agree. Equal parts engaging and brutally honest. What done is done now though and its in the past. You are 90 days into a journey to a new you, really well done on that so don't be too hard on yourself. Now that you are taking responsibility for who you are and what happens to you, you can be a little gentle on yourself also.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Congratulations on 90 days!

Can relate very well to what you have written. I wasted a decade on drugs/alcohol and have to start rebuilding my life from scratch. Education, job, fix relationships, work on bettering myself, but I like to look at this as a new given chance in sober life -- a re-start of my life without the complications of addiction.

90 days is fantastic! Way to go!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
yeah I agree. Equal parts engaging and brutally honest. What done is done now though and its in the past. You are 90 days into a journey to a new you, really well done on that so don't be too hard on yourself. Now that you are taking responsibility for who you are and what happens to you, you can be a little gentle on yourself also.

I know, Ub, it's one of things I have to learn, being gentle on myself.
Thank you for your kind thoughts my friend.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you guys

You made me cry again !
Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks JJ. I've been waxing heavily on my wasted past a lot lately and need some of it to get moving but your posting so matter-of-fact helped me. Stuff done that can be done differently now (with some work). That's real. I'm hopeful too but better than that I'm going the small-gain route and it's working. I don't smoke anymore and for the last month been active in a fitness thread (and on the treadmill). I do feel better so maybe a sustained fitness regime is working and I value it. I'm gonna be practicing for the rest of my life I guess. 90 days is awesome!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great job on 90 Days Janie!! Fantastic post!!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thank you so much for opening up and sharing this.

much appreciated.

XXX