Notices

Hello Im New so I thought I would say hello

Old 01-06-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Im New so I thought I would say hello

Hello

I had a tragedy in the last qtr 2013 and it knocked the wind out of my sails. I found myself alone in a foreign country where my language skills were at best adequate. lotta reasons I was working in IT so I spoke English at work and never got fully immersed enough.

Anyway long story cut sideways - I gradually started drinking - to hide my denial of loneliness and boredom I was laid off. My brain became paralysed I could not decide what to do - so I became a "howard Hughes" me the bottle and the apartment. In the beginning it was "reasoned" drinking if ever there is such a thing but it accelerated and I kind of needed more "medicine" so in Nov as I faced christmas alone it was getting pretty hairy 3-4 beers 1 liter of Wine and bottle of Jim Beam ... As I slept less I needed a "level" - it all seemed to happen so gracefully like sliding down a greased hill.
By Dec 20th I was so wired and freaked out I was getting only about 2hrs sleep before the night sweats. I so was Naive I thought that was an anxiety attack. The at 5am on the 20th I passed into this stupor and passed out with horrible dreams.
My Guardian Angel or my sub-concious passed to me the idea Google Alcohol dependence - vision of clarity - those are my symptoms - thats me
Im dependent ....

So as it was christmas no chance for medical detox - I didn't even have a Doctor. I tried a few places after christmas but the one I want and need where they speak English is not ready for me until mid feb - so a real blow

Then I discovered a way to get to where I needed to be - I am almost towards the end its been a rocky ride being alone and going through some strange experiences. But I have persevered and Im almost done. If things go right I will finish on Thursday night. That will be my last drink.

So I realise its not just kicking the alcohol - but also staying with the program and not just taking a few days off then starting again. I want to get to AF and stay AF. SO I am hoping that I can learn off people who wore those shoes and walked that road and made it to AF and stayed clean.

So thats me - lots of stuff missed out and still a long post

Last edited by ExpatJames; 01-06-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Expatjames youl find tons of support & advice

For me it starts with acceptance
Old 01-06-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

Tapering down is very hard for alcoholics, and I hope that you get through Thursday. And, yes, there's a lot more involved than stopping drinking because it usually means we have to deal with the underlying issues and the reasons why we began drinking. There is lots of support here and I'm so glad you found us.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ExpatJames - you'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 01-06-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome James, glad you're here! I couldn't have made it 16 months sober, and living in SE Asia, without SR.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, ExpatJames.

Tapering can be very difficult; would you consider calling your doctor or going to the ER to help complete your detox.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well thank you all. Yes Thurs will be an issue but I am so mentally prepared for it I wishing it here faster - Im taking steady due to my age I have a very strong motivation factors - the foremost being I really need to get out of Dodge and back to an "English speaking" Environment.
Thank you for your warm welcome

Last edited by ExpatJames; 01-06-2015 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Expatjames!!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome, ExpatJames.

Tapering can be very difficult; would you consider calling your doctor or going to the ER to help complete your detox.
Well I would however, due to the language barrier I face - that is an extra burden. I have not closed that option as in mid-feb a place open in a private clinic that caters to several languages one being English. The thing is for me if I can get to 0 alcohol this week and maintain 0 alcohol I will be quite a few weeks ahead of the Feb date. I can start to re-build my life earlier - that is my rationale. I am quite determined to remove this toxin from my body and my mind. I never knew how dangerous alcohol is - now I do. Its worse than class A drugs.
If I had known before hand just how the tendrils of alcohol creep inside you - i would have taken steps sooner.
So if I falter the I will do the medical option - if I don't I will focus on getting things set right to move forward without this vile substance.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
leb

Hi there
I'm new too but Day 3 and going strong. I find this a wonderful way to talk to people about my drinking and find advice. I am a solitary person who normally wouldn't ask for help. good Luck
Old 01-06-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome, leb and James.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leb View Post
Hi there
I'm new too but Day 3 and going strong. I find this a wonderful way to talk to people about my drinking and find advice. I am a solitary person who normally wouldn't ask for help. good Luck
Good on you. I shall start my day 1 on Friday - I think it is achievable as I am making good progress and am over the hump as it were. Im like 6 hrs between drinks - I stuck to my program so far. The worst was the first few days.
So thanks and looking forward to sharing with you
Old 01-06-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Tendrils are just the right descriptor: alcohol slowly winds its way around you and then you wake up realizing you're in its grasp.

Sending you peaceful and positive thoughts.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Welcome! Tendrils are just the right descriptor: alcohol slowly winds its way around you and then you wake up realizing you're in its grasp.

Sending you peaceful and positive thoughts.
That exactly how it happened to me - slippery path and one day waking up - OMG Im an addict. I am glad I woke up from that dream. I want to walk a different path now an AF path
Thank you matilda
Old 01-07-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hey James, you seem a pretty lucid guy and good luck. I am currently on day 53 and also live in a non English speak country which I find immensely frustrating on occasion so I understand your situation.
I found deeply reading this site to be very worthwhile, there is a ton of experience and guidance in here so please read up where you can. Even replacing 3 hours each day of TV/drinking with 3 hours of reading this site brought me a long way. good luck, let us know if we can help in any way
Old 01-07-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
hey James, you seem a pretty lucid guy and good luck. I am currently on day 53 and also live in a non English speak country which I find immensely frustrating on occasion so I understand your situation.
I found deeply reading this site to be very worthwhile, there is a ton of experience and guidance in here so please read up where you can. Even replacing 3 hours each day of TV/drinking with 3 hours of reading this site brought me a long way. good luck, let us know if we can help in any way
Thanks ubuntubnt (you use Ubuntu )

I have been wandering around the site absorbing useful snippets and I am going to go Day1 tomorrow . I had 2 beers as part of my program and I just can't see the value of 1 beer. So today will be my last day to drink
Thats why I joined up to get some advice from the knowledge bank this forum has become and also learn from people like yourself.
thank you
Old 01-07-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you James. You sound ready for a new way of life - you can do this.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do this James
Old 01-11-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So everyone quick update some RL issue kept me busy - our apartment was evacuated as the Fuel Oil tank sprang a leak and there was a lake of fuel Oil in the basement. So I started yesterday with no alcohol - today is my 2nd day as a non-drinker. So far I am going on long walks and I am keeping my head above water
Yes I am a non-drinker now and I aim to keep it that way
Old 01-11-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well done Expat James!