Notices

Made a decision

Old 01-06-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made a decision

I've decided to talk to the Gp tomorrow about increasing my dose of citalopram from 20mg to 40 mg a day.

I have been on this dose a few months ago and really, never should of come off it as I feel that the anxiety / depression / OCD is returning.

I understand the fact that these types of medication can take 6-8 weeks to have an effect but I don't recall that the 20mg was a therapeutic dose for me last time.

I will discuss this with the gp tomorrow.

I've already had 4 weeks off work and I need to be stepping forward through this period, not feeling as I am doing now,which is stepping back.

Just when you think you're making a positive decision by quitting alcohol, a whole load of terrifying scary horrible distressing **** gets in the way
Old 01-06-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Let us know what your doctor advises, Stewy. I really admire your patience and tenacity.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hang in there Stewy - involving the doctor when you're not feeling up to snuff is the right thing to do. glad you recognize it.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there Stewy hope it goes well at Gp's tomorrow in the meantime you have us bud

There will hard days weeks etc but by staying sober we strenghten our sobriety

Your doing really well bud
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was on that for a sever concussion , they have since switched me to Lexapro , which is OK...Once I quit the can so to speak , they put me on Ativan along with Lexapro, which helps a lot ..Good luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Glad you're going to see the doc, Stewy.

Hopefully he will up your dosage.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My employers have been very good during the time I have been off, I have been in regular contact with my manager every Monday to discuss my progress and they have arranged a well being appointment for me this Thursday which I will be attending.

I have a real desire to get back to my usual self and I feel as though it's been long enough now. I'm out of the festive period and things are not moving as I feel they should.

I'm awaiting CBT which I have had in the past, I feel I have good knowledge of my condition and now need to use this to my advantage.

Enough is enough, I need my life back.

Anxiety and depression can make you feel like the world is caving in around you, particularly the anxiety for me as it seems to happen when I'm around people mainly which is the primary reason I'm off work.

I have to battle it, I know the anxiety will always be there, as humans, it's a natural sensation at certain times, it isn't going to rule me though.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been on a combo of citalopram and bupropion for a year now. It's great in my situation. My anxiety is greatly reduced, yet my energy level is pretty good. And the plumbing is working better than when I was on citalopram alone.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, I'm glad you're not accepting the status quo when it's not the way you want your life to be. Antidepressants are tricky and it's good that you are going back to talk to your dr. I hope things go smoothly with your return to work.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've thought about asking for something g to specifically target the anxiety and to compliment the citalopram.

I feel confident with citalopram as it has worked positively for me previously so I will most probably go with that for now.

I am open to anything the gp may suggest tomorrow.

It's about getting back to the level playing field now, and reclaiming all of my usual interests
Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good to hear Stewy keep up the good work bud
Old 01-06-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats a good move Stewy - let us know how you get on

D
Old 01-06-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope it all goes well tomorrow Stewy!!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just woken up from a truly awful nights sleep, a lot of the intrusive thoughts I have previously experienced have returned now, along with the depression and anxiety symptoms still being present.

I have talked to my girlfriend about the thoughts, but bringing them out in the open like that has added to the stress levels, which is a big indicator things are not right.

After 4 weeks off work, I honestly thought I would be in a better place than I am at the minute.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

"and we are bringing it back..."

When I have a rough patch of intrusive thoughts I like to imagine that I have a tour guide of the brain and repeat "and we are bringing it back...bringing it back to being gentle with ourselves" as the thoughts enter and exit.

Breathe evenly and deeply. Read a good book. Warm cup of tea. Try not to get stuck on the thoughts. Just let them come in and then wave good-bye.

As the others said - you are doing great, Stewy. Hang in there. It is great that you have your GP appt. lined up.