Notices

Help me sleep

Old 01-06-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me sleep

It's 0316, work in 2.75hrs and for the fourth night in a row I just cant sleep. I think I've had about 8hrs of broken sleep and stupid repetitive dreams in four days. How can I get to sleep? Tired of twitching and smelling fever
Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Pick up a book and read it will tire the eyes

hope this helps
Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can get some rest.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sleep is hard at first. I know that first hand. There are some over the counter sleeping aides that are supposedly non addictive that maybe you can use at first. If not, sleepy time tea (i forget who it is made by) is another alternative. Reading is good... TV is bad!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try counting. I know it sounds stupid, like counting sheep, but when I count it stops the mind spins. I don’t picture anything, I just count.

I start from one and got to about fifty and if my mind has not calmed down enough to sleep I start the count again.

It helps you relax. It is hard for your mind to wonder on to others things while counting.

Sometimes I also take a generic Unisom at night to help me get over the hump.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like meditating.

Try taking 10 deep breaths while laying on your back or whatever is the most comfortable position for you.

While inhaling imagine breathing white light or some other postive/comforting image. When exhaling imagine breathing out smoke or fire or whatever bad feeling you may be harboring.

After you have finished your 10 deep breaths, relax every part of your body from your toes to the tip of your head.

Hopefully at this point you will be relaxed enough to fall alseep. If not rinse and repeat.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a lot of insnia and twitching, it's normal when first quitting. Things that world well for me included:
Drinking tea, listening to deepak meditations on you tube. Reading, deep breathing, getting out of bed and trying to do something productive.

It's tough, but it will pass, have 100% faith in the process, and remember once you get past the worst of it, it will improve. It is such a better option than drinking!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I've had insomnia (not really because true insomniac's bodies don't require much sleep and mine isn't that way) all my life and will just pass on a couple of tips. Stay off your computer and your cell phone and don't watch TV. The light entering the eye from these has the same affect as taking a stimulant. Reading a book in low light helps especially if you can do that while already in bed and don't make it a boring book.... make it one you really WANT to read so you're not focused on going to sleep or your mind doesn't wander from what you're reading to needing to go to sleep... frustration will keep you awake. If you can't read in bed, at least lay down and make sure your wake-up alarm is nearby so you don't have to get up and physically go to the bed. In fact, I recommend not getting into bed unless your eyes are already drooping and you feel you just can't stay awake... any earlier and you mind will kick in... if you're able to sleep in bed at all. The mind is a weird thing... understatement... and is programmed to a habit quickly. Sometimes this means it sees the bed as a wake-up call. If that's already happened, then use the couch or a recliner to lay down and read with alarm nearby. Just remember that "this too shall pass" and I hope it does so quickly for you.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Warm milk? Make sure you are not drinking caffeine after your last meal,maybe a walk after dinner to use up some energy?Sweet Dreams....
Old 01-06-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm having a hard time sleeping right now too. Vigorous exercise and a shower in the eve helps. Counting like Gracie said helps too. Hang in there!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AlmA

Sorry Fum,

I do sudokus in bed and room scape games...
Lisen of audio metitations put on in the internet and relax and follow it.
Give it a try.

Tomorrow, sweat it before going to bed:
doing sport/walking, having a shower and a hot cup of lime blossom tea.
And try Meditation you will sleep better.
XO
Old 01-06-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thx all, I think I managed another half an hour. Where on earth these stupid dreams come from has me beat however the morning is here, I'm thinking relatively straight, i'm sober and i'm not hung-over. I've woken from a good sleep (pass out) feeling a lot lot worse. Spewing with the first cigg before a shower with my eyes like road maps. Routine was to freshen up, focus, put clear eyes in and grab a mint and a powerade. I've definitely woken up a lot worse. Have a nice day all, be back in 11hrs.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon.

Sleep does tend to level off after a few weeks sober. Although I've had sleep problems all my life. What I've found works wonders for me (and believe me I've tried everything), is having some sort of talk radio or podcast on in the background. I find I can listen to that, zone out and nod off a good percentage of the time.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

my new favorite insomnia link:

Relaxation Techniques | University of Maryland Medical Center

D
Old 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great ideas and new ones for me. I read, take Epsom salt baths, pray, read and drink milk or take magnesium. I try to eat protein with a carb but not too late. I do the breathing thing, one nostril at a time. Pinch one side, breathe in on the other side, hold to count of four. Breathe out to count of four. Repeat.
I cut caffeine after 12 noon. Wellness tea sometimes. I have bad dreams and good dreams but they are also teaching me something. I have always had trouble sleeping but this is helping.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

YouTube had some meditation videos that induce certain brain waves that encourage sleep. I plug in my iPhone earplugs and just lay back. It runs 8 hours. Try it out
Old 01-07-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I seriously don't know how much more of this I can take! I don't want to go to the doc as he'll prescribe vallium, I want my body and mind to heal however 15 years of heavy drinking has obviously screwed me. I just want some sleep, to refresh the body.

On the bright side, day six today, took my children out to the movies after work instead of sitting around scratching for things to do. They thought it was a little strange but thankfully there minds aren't equipped to comprehend whats really going on. On a somewhat disgusting note, actually had a relatively normal 1+2 today, been a while since I haven't had involuntary squeezing and 1's from both sockets. Time to give sleep another go.

Goodnight/morning all.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done famoverfever on day 6

Did you try D's Insomnia link ?
Old 01-07-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you get some sleep soon.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Member

I have found the old /

The secret to trying to sleep is to try and stay awake. Works every time.