Notices

Day one

Old 01-06-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

I wonder when the problem started I can remeber a time when drink did not control me now I can't go out at night because I have a drink in my hand 2 minutes after I get home from work.I don't want to go on vacation because I won't be able to hide how much I drink from my wife.I drink in the morning I even get up at 2 or 3 am and drink a couple of tall cans of beer.Started to drink whiskey now on Saturday just a small bottle then a micky of course a bottle for christmas and top it up with a micky so nobody sees it go down to fast also beer with it.Thing is you see I am getting more deppresed after drinking than before-I have a problem it is hard to say I have'become am alcoholic I work people'at work don't hink I drink if only they knew.I hate myself for this weakness .Gratefull for any support offered........
Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Grampa. My parents are in their 60s and they drink way too much. I would do anything for them to quit. The sober life is a good life! I am pulling for you!!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on making a day 1 grampa
Old 01-06-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 1!! Stay close to SR. There is a lot of support here. We all have the same problem, and we are all working on staying sober.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, grampa, I'm a grandma and I was determined not to be drunk grandma! The progression and the consequences seem to intensify as we get older. You've made a great decision to stop. The first days are the hardest physically and you've made it through day one, the first step to breaking the pattern. Stay with us and make yourself and your family proud.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

I love your username Congrats on day 1. You can do this grampa - keep being honest with yourself, keep being brave
Old 01-06-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome GP.
Until you get sober for awhile it’s hard to imagine how great your life can become. Try to remember your first post in the future and try to not drink one day at a time in a row.
I suggest AA meetingS and reading and posting here for a start.

This non drinking stuff is very unknown to us so ask questions for info.

BE WELL
Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by grampa View Post
I wonder when the problem started I can remeber a time when drink did not control me now I can't go out at night because I have a drink in my hand 2 minutes after I get home from work.I don't want to go on vacation because I won't be able to hide how much I drink from my wife.I drink in the morning I even get up at 2 or 3 am and drink a couple of tall cans of beer.Started to drink whiskey now on Saturday just a small bottle then a micky of course a bottle for christmas and top it up with a micky so nobody sees it go down to fast also beer with it.Thing is you see I am getting more deppresed after drinking than before-I have a problem it is hard to say I have'become am alcoholic I work people'at work don't hink I drink if only they knew.I hate myself for this weakness .Gratefull for any support offered........
Really glad you're here, Welcome!
It's never too late - many here are Grandpa's

You might consider some face to face support - AA is a great fellowship and has many people from all walks of life with our common problem.

When I quit and told my wife I was going, I said - I just don't want others to know I am a drunk!

She smiled and replied, honey - they already know

When we admit we are alcoholics it becomes unanimous. There is no shame, friend. If we had diabetes we follow a solution to make sure we got well/better. The same holds true for our disease.....WE make sure we change the things that affect our continued decline!

Keep coming back, get some help please - consider SR and perhaps outside assistance as well. You are worth it and OUR grandkids deserve it

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 01-06-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do this Grampa!!