Notices

Where's the public?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where's the public?

Working on sobriety is one thing. The thoughts that come with it are a whole other story. I think...so much. So here's a thought. Where is the public in this? I know AA is "anonymous," but where's the public outcry for this problem? Where is the support from those who are not alcoholics? And I don't mean the friends-and-family sections on forums like this. I mean the public.

We banned smoking in most states. In fact, in many cities, smokers are pariahs relegated to alley ways. Some cities have even banned certain foods and transfat because of the very real obesity and diabetes epidemic.

So where's the crusade to curb alcohol abuse? Not prohibition, but just public knowledge that alcoholism is a problem. I see commercials for drug abuse, diabetes, heart disease, lung cancer, but where are the commercials acknowledging how alcohol can play into each of these?

Just a thought. I can't simply be in recovery without asking questions.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good point. Drinking is definitely one thing that is glorified in our society.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. I was even at an ATM in Vegas that had a message about gambling. The public seems to be more concerned about smoking and other legal (and illegal) things, and forgets about alcohol.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi Philly!

Great points!

Soberjohn just posted a link to an article dealing with this very thing, I think you'd enjoy it.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear more about restless leg syndrome than alcoholism. The stupid "please drink responsibly" makes me so mad. It's like those stupid three words are supposed to make up for hundreds of thousands of death in just the US.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are a lot of things that society and the media project that are not good for you. There are also a lot of public dollars and private campaigns against alcohol.

To me none of that is relevant to my recovery though. It's an age-old cop out to blame society for our ills when we are truly the only ones who can make the difference.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's an age-old cop out to blame society for our ills when we are truly the only ones who can make the difference.
This is the most inspiring thing I've ever read on this site.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

A member here posted this awhile back. Found it on point
Folksonomy | Floating

Watch the video on this page
Old 01-06-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by philly76 View Post
Working on sobriety is one thing. The thoughts that come with it are a whole other story. I think...so much. So here's a thought. Where is the public in this? I know AA is "anonymous," but where's the public outcry for this problem? Where is the support from those who are not alcoholics? And I don't mean the friends-and-family sections on forums like this. I mean the public.

We banned smoking in most states. In fact, in many cities, smokers are pariahs relegated to alley ways. Some cities have even banned certain foods and transfat because of the very real obesity and diabetes epidemic.

So where's the crusade to curb alcohol abuse? Not prohibition, but just public knowledge that alcoholism is a problem. I see commercials for drug abuse, diabetes, heart disease, lung cancer, but where are the commercials acknowledging how alcohol can play into each of these?

Just a thought. I can't simply be in recovery without asking questions.
I started staying sober when the questions I asked were focused on me.

I started staying sober when the vast thinking I did was about how I was going to fill my days and time normally spent drunk. How was I going to get through the creepy crawler phase of ever day... just after work.

It's necessary to ask questions to learn. We all know that. But the difference in those that stay sober and those that must try again are the questions we ask. The intent of the desired answer.

Philly... Asking questions as to why something out there cannot fix something in here will never give you the answers you want. Never.

Have you checked out AVRT and rational recovery? It has a different approach and one that might be a good match for you. Check out the secular connections section. Lots of good stuff there.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Ken
Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
There are a lot of things that society and the media project that are not good for you. There are also a lot of public dollars and private campaigns against alcohol.

To me none of that is relevant to my recovery though. It's an age-old cop out to blame society for our ills when we are truly the only ones who can make the difference.
I agree and disagree. I agree that everyone needs to take personal responsibility for their recovery and not blame wider society for their problems or their failings. On the other hand I believe that I would have quit much earlier had i been more aware of certain aspects of drinking and alcoholism. For example, I had no idea about the mental health problems caused by excessive drinking and didn't do the "are you an alcoholic?" Quizzes until I was an alcoholic by which time I could have convinced myself of anything. More awareness and education earlier in life would have been useful. Virtually all of my alcoholic drinking buddies are also ill informed on the disease. "Drink responsibly" to most people means don't get hammered drunk or drive drunk or land yourself in trouble with the law. This has little to do with the behaviors that will lead to early stage alcoholism.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In one of the TV series I follow, they drink all the time like it's normal. It's even become a bonding ritual for them. Fun and all. I hate it. And I see it on TV all the time. Not good.

Also, check this out:

bbc dot com / news / health-25349738 (James Bond is an 'impotent drunk')

(I needed to find an alternative way to post the link since I can't post links yet because I don't have 15 posts yet, but this one is too important to leave out imo. I hope that's ok.)
Old 01-06-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are some powerful and disturbing drunk driving commercials that are on YouTube (I believe they are from the UK). I wish they would show them here but I think they are deemed too graphic for US audiences.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know which ones you mean MelindaFlowers they really are powerful. Could you post some links? People from the US can get a free Europe based proxy and see them anyway.

There's this one with school kids. It's pretty long. Very dramatic. I can't find it, but if you know which one I mean, could you post that one as well. I found that one very powerful.

P.S. I've never driven while drunk. That was an absolute no for me. Even one sip of alcohol and driving was not an option anymore.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

At best, I think alcoholics or problem drinkers represent less than 5% of the US population. Being in that percentage, we tend to have a bit of tunnel vision. You want out of that percentage, don't drink.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by philly76 View Post
So where's the crusade to curb alcohol abuse?
Oh I see them, right after the beer/whiskey/bourbon/vodka commercials. It says in teeny tiny dark letters:

Please Drink Responsibly!

Of course they have no idea that suggestion does nothing for the alcoholic...Or maybe they do
Old 01-06-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZPQX View Post
I know which ones you mean MelindaFlowers they really are powerful. Could you post some links? People from the US can get a free Europe based proxy and see them anyway.

There's this one with school kids. It's pretty long. Very dramatic. I can't find it, but if you know which one I mean, could you post that one as well. I found that one very powerful.

P.S. I've never driven while drunk. That was an absolute no for me. Even one sip of alcohol and driving was not an option anymore.
Here is one. It turns out the one I was thinking of was texting and driving. Here is one of the drinking and driving commercials I remember. Made me tear up just watching it now.

http://youtu.be/otR8V7rlnjA

They do not show commercials like this is the US. Or at least I have never seen one. I think they should make all high school students watch this before handing out diplomas.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

While I agree with personal responsibility, I also think a huge part of my problem was being raised to believe that alcohol was a part of every adult's life and I somehow had to make it work. And outward society seemed to support that belief. By the age of 19, I had figured out that I had a drinking problem, but I felt pressure from friends and family to keep drink in my life, so I continued drinking for 23 more years. I don't blame the others for my choices, but I didn't see much of an alternative. I have four children, three of them being teenagers, so I am happy and proud to be an example of a sober life for them. I, for one, hope that over time with the current emphasis on healthy living and taking care of our Earth and our bodies, that drinking will become like smoking, kind of passe and looked down upon.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm sure the other 90% of society is asking"what is wrong with these people?" Peanuts have not been banned yet to protect those allergic. Nor have tampons, aspirin, or handguns.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think there is just some part of the human psyche that always will think "not me! Won't happen to me!!! Especially in our teens and twenties. This gets a lot of people into trouble.

Heck, I used to watch Intervention with a drink in my hand and think "Not me! Won't happen to me!" And I am a reasonably intelligent, reasonably wise person.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Regarding commercials, I've found a couple that I can post once my post count is high enough.

Right now, I'd like to ask for a favor. I have been looking for this one commercial that made a powerful impact on me. I can't find it back. I'm not even sure if it is about drinking and driving, but I think it is.

What I remember from it is a girl sitting in class. And then suddenly she gets thrown around like she's in a car crash. And if I remember correctly, the clip shifts to a scene of a car crash. Something like that.

If anyone knows where to find this one, please let me know!