Notices

New and first hurdle

Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and first hurdle

Hi,

New here, but been reading all the posts the last few days, I have written an intro so many times and deleted it, I think it is the fear of putting it out in the public sphere. But I need so moral support so I am going to have to post at some point.

So without giving to much away here goes:

I was functional (I think that is what it is called?) I would not touch a drop until 6pm in the evenings, though on weekends that dropped to 1pm! It was my golden rule that made me "not an alcy", I never drank in the morning, I never got drunk in public, never blacked out or vomited or made an idiot of myself, so I couldn't be......

what the biggest lie I ever told myself

The second lie was I was okay cause I could stop any time. When I fell pregnant I stopped for 1 year 1/2 but then from that first drink afterwards I went back into my old habits only worse.

For some reasons on the run up to Christmas and new year I slowed down, it had lost its sparkle, even my husband kept saying wow, your nursing that glass for a long time, something had clicked over but I was still going though the motions accept much much slower.

I decided to do the cancer research dryathlon, which then made me think about it even more, if I needed a challenge to stop drinking surely there was more to this then just raising money, at the end of the first day I said to my husband I was going to stop, I set goals of things we could buy and do with the money and he agreed it was a good idea (he has never had a problem stopping) and that he would support me. (Though I could see in his eyes he was thinking here we go again, promises promises).

It was actually an eye-opener these last 4 days. I couldn't sleep, felt itchy all over, constant eating and mild headache, it hasn't been easy, and it proved to me that I was not as all right as I thought I was.

But this morning, wow this morning, day 5 sober, I woke up the first time in ages refreshed and feeling great apart from one thing, I am facing my first hurdle tonight and I am scared.

I have a family meal out tonight and know everyone is going to have a drink with dinner.

Told husband that I am going to be ordering pepsi and not to say or do anything to make it seem like that is unusual and I think if we were not in our local I would be okay, but we are going to be in our local and I am scared the waiters will say something, we tend to go weekly so they know us and know what we order and as last time I stopped drinking was when I was pregnant they might assume that I am this time and say something (The belly fat doesn't help!). Embarrassing.

So first hurdle, and I am really worried I will cave in.....damn this, I used to love going out to the pub for a meal and now I am scared.....crazy!?

Cheers,

Matrix
Old 01-05-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. You've gotten through the hard part of being uncomfortable for a few days without a drink. Why not keep it going. Will only get tougher the longer you keep drinking.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Whatisthematrix?

Morpheus: "The Matrix is a system Neo."

Love those movies! Well now, back to reality.

My advice is just don't go to the dinner. You're too new to sobriety now for that sort of situation. If you feel like there is no getting out of it, have an escape plan. Some sort of way to leave and with your own transportation. This is not going to be easy. "You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged".

All the best to you.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome whatis, if you want to stop you are definitely going to have to make some changes, one being skipping that social if you think you might drink...
Old 01-05-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Whatsthematrix well done on day 5 sober

I would refrain from social events for a while and build sober muscles instead

Tell your husband that its making you anxious and its wise to give it a miss he will see you protecting your sobriety and thats whats most important here

youl find so much support here stick close to SR
Old 01-05-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

not crazy.

Welcome.

You can do this.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think everyone hit the nail on the head when they said you probably should avoid the dinner. And that's ok. I'm not saying it can't be done sober, but the uncomfortableness you'll have might just ruin the evening for you.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, WhatIsTheMatrix, to SR. Congratulations on four sober days.

If you are worried that you might cave at the dinner tonight, it might be wise to re-think your attendance. I could not have navigated that kind of situation so early in my sobriety.

Glad you found SR, WITM. And congratulations on participating in the cancer dryathlon.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth" -Morpheous. In other words, Alcohol!

Well done on making a start, and congrats. Lots of support here
Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cancer research dryathlon! how cool! You can tell them you're "in training"! Be proud of what you're doing for a good cause....even if you plan to stick with it for good later.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Back and all went had a Pepsi and noone even blinked or said anything.

Next hurdle is not getting over confident, and remember that I feel better and that one drink always leads to more.

Thanks everyone this place is fantastic.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by WhatIsTheMatrix View Post
Back and all went had a Pepsi and noone even blinked or said anything.

Next hurdle is not getting over confident, and remember that I feel better and that one drink always leads to more.

Thanks everyone this place is fantastic.

Well done, and hi
Old 01-05-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Matrix, You did a great job - we know how challenging it is in the early days.

We promise it won't feel this intense forever. You were right to be concerned, but you made it through unscathed - something to be proud of.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, well done Matrix from me too luv!
You'll find soooo much support and terrific info here. And, as an aside, it's a very safe site - as you'll have noticed re the strongly enforced rules of engagement via our excellent moderators. It's pretty much a troll-free zone.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

A victory for you keep it up!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Whatsthematrix!!