Alateen / Alakid

Old 01-04-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alateen / Alakid

DS8 went to the Alakid meeting while I was at my program yesterday. The hardest thing was getting there and a bit of nerves. No worries, great program!

Alakid: Courage to Grow.

I'd been looking for an Alanon meeting with babysitting when I found this was also offered. He was given the Alateen book and really likes reading from it.

I believe this group does a lot of drawing and crafts.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

GREAT!

It looks like "Ala-Kid" is 6 to 12 years old and Alateen is 12-19?

Our local model (Texas) has the same 12-19, and then 9-11, but in the groups nearest us they just run it altogether with 9-19.

Our kids loved it, too.

Our "A" did not.

==================

Just like the AA Big Book model --

the A's work best with the A's.
the Friends and Family work best with the Friends and Family (like here and Alanon)
And the kids . . . tend to do pretty good with the kids.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The youngest they've had here was 5, with no set ages. Teens are in the same Alateen/Alakid program but none right now with winter break. I'm guessing the program is based around who is there.

Their opening welcome was from Courage to Grow.
http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/alateen-literature

"Many of us in alcoholic families learned to toughen up and to grow up very quickly. Or else we found ways to hide our feelings. We felt as if we had to do these things just to protect ourselves, because we felt alone.

And then we found Alateen." pg. 9

DS smiled, and could relate.

They talked about this being a safe place to just be a kid. To learn how to be a kid, to have the Courage to Grow.

He's heard the Serenity Prayer before, yet now it's new to him, as it relates directly to him with new meaning. He read it out loud three times on the way home. His school teacher says it's important to do things three times to get it from the hippocampus to long-term memory.

I can't go back and do this for our older kids, but as I learn better, I can do better.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's an Alakid? Does anyone have information on it? I'd love to look into it for my own kids!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hadn't heard of it before, but hadn't looked either. If you start asking, maybe you'll find one close enough. Good luck! Let us know what happens.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Decided not to go today as we would have been rushed and late getting to a commitment after that. No guilt and I wasn't confused or stressed about making the decision. I need to connect with people in healthy ways and am still working on that today. Finances also played a roll in this. We need to buy gifts on a small budget and that will be easier in a different city closer by. The dollar store is more doable for gifts than I could have imagined. Our presence is part of the present. To be fully there, not stressed. To do for others instead of wrapped up in my own turmoil.

DS8 has been leading the Serenity Prayer for us twice a day. I thought of it first today, but before I said anything something on KLOVE reminded him.

Happy Saturday to all of you. May your day be very blessed!