Notices

New and Lost

Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Lost

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and to the realization that I have a problem. I've been in denial for sometime. The same mistakes and ugly "other" me keeps rearing her ugly head! I keep trying to convince myself that I'm just needing to get it under control but no matter how hard I try that sneaky bastard wins! ALCOHOL! It has ruined so many lives around me and almost has for myself at times. I can't think of life without it sometimes but I know I don't want it anymore. It's just hard to picture is all. I am married with 3 great kids. My hubby and I are pretty solid and I am a very busy mom who works, cleans, cooks, and is still interested in life and doing fun things. I involve alcohol like 4 nights a week and if I manage to get out of the house I usually binge drink and black out. I get flirty, wobbly, embarrassing, and soooo sick the next day. I can track back 95% of any mistakes or embossing times to alcohol. I am so ashamed and embarrassed and guilty for who I turn into, yet I keep drinking. UGH where to even start! Today is day 2 but I know I need many more days to feel better and get myself on track.This is the only area of my life that I am not doing great with. I know I'm a good mom, wife, housewife, worker, etc. But once them kiddos are in bed I'm gulping down some drinks 2-3 times a week and usually binge $ heavily drink once a week. So the days I'm not drinking I'm slightly or majorly curing a bogged down hungover feeling. I'm sick of this! I'm sick of feeling judged or worried about who I offended or flirted with or showed the "other" me to. I've never cheated or anything but flirting and barely being able to stand up is not ok. I want this over before I do ruin my life!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

You've come to a great place for support & encouragement Newlife. I can relate, as I'm sure many here do at becoming someone different' when we drink. I too, am a Mom & managed to keep things running relatively smooth, but it is progressive & the only way I found to stop the cycle, including regret & shame, is to take drinking out of the picture. (hugs)) to you & Welcome!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hi and welcome to SR, this kind of situation is usually seen in the movies/tv shows where alcoholics are all down and outs living on the streets with no jobs etc, but the truth of the matter is there are loads of people who seem to have it all together in all other aspects but this one part of life is our main regret, I totally understand how you feel, I am very similar in a lot of ways, good job, nice house etc but I've got this lack of self worth when drinking that I can no longer live with, so I had to end that aspect to get my dignity back and even although I can never take back all the wrongs I have done and the upset I have caused I can finally look at myself in the mirror and know I'm now a better person. Stoogy Version 1.1.

So glad you have joined us and take care.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. I also hate who I become after too many drinks. Like u said, 95% of my embarrassing, cringe-worthy, and shameful moments were when I was drunk. My blackouts startef getting worse and worse over the years and I was getting agressive and mean. Ending up in jail cells and hospitals.

I waited too long to do something about it and lost everything. Get your drinking problem addresses while you still have a career and family to save
Old 01-04-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Newlife youl find so much support here

Nice to meet you

I made one of the best choices in my life when i chose to get sober it wasnt easy but 5000% worth it

Check out class of January thread & 24h thread both awesome

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ry-2015-a.html

Newcomer's Daily Support Threads - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone! Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. I'm not really religious and am not really sure where to go for strength and support. I do know I am on here on day 2 with NO hangover and that I still feel that I need to change my life. It's time! I can do so much more and be so much more in this life! Any advice on the initial cravings which will kick in tomorrow (I usually am ready come day 3 of not drinking). Any herbs, vitamins, etc that may help curb cravings, good books that may help?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Newlife15, welcome.
I am new here too, day 4.
I have a similar story to you, seem to be holding it all together except for the alcohol.
Great husband and kids, but when I drink I binge, and it has progressed to daily drinking with frequent blackouts. This does take place after my kids are in bed but if they are sick or crying I do not hear them. Very sad! I have also noticed that in the past few months I do drink even before the kids are in bed which is something I always said I would never do.
In social drinking situations I always say just 1 or 2 but I end up really drunk, foggy
the next day and embarrassed.
My kids have seen me black out drunk, what type of an example am I. Pretty sad.
Hang in there,
Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Shelbygirl,

The worst mistake I have been making is being too proud to admit that I am out of control with it. I started drinking at like 14 and have made so many mistakes and regretted nights over the last 20 years. I luckily am seeing this soon enough to change it and not hit a worse rock bottom. For me, my rock bottom is that I have this great family and I'm taking it for granted! I love my hubby tons! I have no idea why I get how I do when I drink. I obviously can't control myself and would not be this person sober. I am done! I know I have to quit!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very similar story here newlife. I'm a mom, good wife, good employee but alcohol tries to ruin all that... Stick close here to SR! You will find so much support and help!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too can relate, have a hubby and 2 kids, drink maybe 2-3 times a week, the weekend drink being the most, i hate it that i cannot just have a few, i always end up drunk and have no clue what i did or said the next day, so spend the day in bed, feeling terrible with bad hangover, regret, shame and cringing.

Tips for tomorrow night, hmm - all i can suggest really is dont have anything to drink in the house, keep busy, then when the kids are in bed, have a long bath, then a really nice drinking choc with marshmallows, cream etc - something you can look forward to

Im only on day 4 myself
Old 01-04-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welome, newlife! You are in a great place here. To get you on the right path, empty your home of any alcohol, make a plan to do a sober activity each night and keep a list of your accomplishments. None are too small! Always have ice cream available! Come here anytime, especially in your weak moments and share with us. We will help you through!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Getagrip, new life and shelbygirl. I'm a mom too, my children are grown now but I've been in the same place you are. This thing we're fighting is progressive. It's great you're here asking questions and giving each other support... You'll find lots of it here.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, newlife, to SR.

Deciding to give up alcohol was one of the best decisions of my life,

Glad you find SR. Remember, it is here for you 24/7/365.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have found a wonderful place for support and understanding. Glad you've joined us.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newlife15 View Post
Shelbygirl,

The worst mistake I have been making is being too proud to admit that I am out of control with it. I started drinking at like 14 and have made so many mistakes and regretted nights over the last 20 years. I luckily am seeing this soon enough to change it and not hit a worse rock bottom. For me, my rock bottom is that I have this great family and I'm taking it for granted! I love my hubby tons! I have no idea why I get how I do when I drink. I obviously can't control myself and would not be this person sober. I am done! I know I have to quit!

This post could of came from me, I totally understand where you are coming from.