Notices

First Day Sober

Old 01-04-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day Sober

Hi all. I am new here and newly sober. I'm a strong person, so I know I can do it. I've been wanting to quit for over a year, probably more, to be honest. I know that it is time and I look forward to a sober life. I look forward to the support on this site. God bless and happy new year to all!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome bunny love! I am new here as well at day four of sobriety too. This is an amazing site with amazingly supportive people!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anewyear!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome BunnyLove! You can do it. This site will be a great tool for you. Do you have any sort of plan in place?
North GA is so nice. I've got relatives there and love to raft and also visit in the fall and apple time.

So glad you're here.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome bunnylove. This is a grest community with tons of support. You can do it!!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! There is a lot of support here. Take advantage of that
Old 01-04-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bunnylove really nice to meet you
Old 01-04-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I'm planning to go to aa but I have a hard time motivating to go. It's the initial walking in a room as a stranger I guess. But I know it will be another source of support, so I am going to go. Thanks for welcoming me!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome from a chilly UK, Bunnylove

This is a great place for support and understanding. I don't go to AA myself but from the posts I've read here, it can be an invaluable support too.

Congratulations on deciding to make your life new!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, BunnyLove!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Terrrrrific!!!

Glad you're here, Welcome!!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HeadLump, my reasons for wanting to go to AA is the personal stuff. Figuring out why I drink, moral inventory - all that stuff. I have heard that quitting isn't always enough... that you need to get the rest of you figured out in order to be successful. Any thoughts on that?
Old 01-04-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on the best decision you ever made! Welcome to the family!
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome BunnyLove! I am a grizzled 1 month veteran on this site......ok still a new person myself. I have found a lot of help here. I hope you do to. It is great being sober!

--Rowdy
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya bunnylove, welcome to our forum.

I agree, I quit but had my own demons to sort out. This site has been a lifesaver for me and suites me, just fine but any help you can get has got to be positive.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by BunnyLove View Post
HeadLump, my reasons for wanting to go to AA is the personal stuff. Figuring out why I drink, moral inventory - all that stuff. I have heard that quitting isn't always enough... that you need to get the rest of you figured out in order to be successful. Any thoughts on that?
Hi Bunny. I think just quitting is not enough on its own, you have to be prepared to make changes in your life so that you can happily embrace sobriety - so that sobriety becomes something you actually choose rather than just being a consequence of not drinking (if that makes sense!)

You could find yourself changing in ways you cannot imagine now. I'm sure you will feel much, much happier and more peaceful (I certainly do ) but life is still life and will deal you unexpected blows. One of the main changes you may need to make is to handle those times without the numbing effect of alcohol.

I've found that I've become much more spiritual and have even started meditating. My drunken self would have had a few choice words to say about that!

It may be a cliché but sobriety is a journey and you'll need to enjoy the ride as well as the destination. Welcome aboard, my friend!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Certainly everyone has their 'stuff' whether alcoholic or not. Those of us with drinking problems just use alcohol as a poor tool to deal with them. For me, there are certain general bad habits that I have which I know need to stop....for example negative and cyclical thinking patterns. Things like that I'm addressing now. Then there are personal relationship type issues/decisions that I have on hold for now because my emotions are a bit erratic and the bigger issue type things require prudence. I feel as though I need to gain some sobriety time before tackling some things. I'm at three months now....and it's getting better.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hi Bunnylove, you have made a great choice in both lifestyle and joining us here on SR, look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Well done again.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi! I've been wanting to quit for a long time too, but only just begun my first attempt. Lets kick this addictions ass!
Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Let's do it jacksbean! Life will be soooo much better with a clear head. I am actually more of a binge drinker. Weekends only. So the feelings of clarity (or at least partial clarity) during the week were my saving grace, but also my biggest enemy since I felt fine by Friday, I started the drinking all over again. I now know that there is no way I will feel complete clarity until I've been sober for a long period of time. All I know is the crappy foggy feelings are soon going to be a thing of the past. I'm thankful for everyone here to accompany me on this journey! Thanks for reaching out jacksbean!