Notices

First Step...

Old 01-03-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Step...

Hello all, this is my first attempt at....anything like this.

I am 23 years old, and I have had a serious drinking problem since I was 19.

And, as many times as I have blacked out and made a fool of myself... New Years Eve was definitely rock bottom.

I blacked out, and physically attacked my boyfriend in front of his family.

I have virtually never felt so low, and god bless his heart, he has decided to stay with me while I seek professional help. (Dr appt on Tuesday!)

So, I guess I'm just looking for support, and if anyone out there needs to talk... I have plenty of stories and outlook on just how horrible binge drinking has been to my life, and my relationships. (And being 23, does not exempt you from having a problem... I thought that way, and it lead me to abusing someone before I realized I absolutely needed to completely cut alcohol out of my life for good. Its just not for everyone...)
Old 01-03-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome! Good to have you join us! Hope you get the help you need and live a better way from now on. You have alot of living to do...being so young when you realized drinking is not for you. Keep posting!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

glad you are here!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Dollface youl find a ton of support here

Nice to meet you
Old 01-03-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I will do my best to keep updating. There is a whole new Sober world to see, and it sounds scary... but can't be as scary of the things alcohol has done to me!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, DollFace; glad you found us.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

The scary part for me was thinking of all the time I wasted being a person I never really wanted to become. Now, I am in control not the alcohol.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi doll face i was just like you with drinking and at an early age
i didnt get away with much either as when i would go off like a bottle of pop full of anger drunk as a skunk the police would get hold of me and it would end up a night in the cells to face charges the next day be it drunk and disorderly to assault etc

my name would go into the local paper so i couldnt hide away from the shame of what i had done as everyone would be pointing there finger at me and i would just hide away full of fear

i loved the drink loved the effect but for me things would end up real ugly time and time again i would wake up the next day full of fear and shame guilt and remorse for what i had done
it was like another person comes out when i get drunk the very devil itself

i dont do those sorts of things sober, i know right from wrong etc

i went looking for help with drs as because i was so young and i could stop drinking and not have any real urges for a drink etc there was no way i could be an alcoholic in my mind an alcoholic is the tramp out on the streets who drinks every day etc

anyway i went to see the drs they tired to help me with pills and stuff but still i kept on drinking and ended up in more trouble i lost count of the girlfriends who thought i was a great guy unless i had a drink then they soon ran a mile believe me and i dont blame them as i would run a mile from me to when drunk

anyway it was because i was due up in court and i had been everywhere else for help that i decided to give aa a try as i had hoped they might save me from prison

anyway i soon started to learn all about what being an alcholic really is the identification i got with the members was huge

they explained to me about the drs opinion

how when i take a drink i then crave another one and another one and i can not stop so carry on drinking until i end up so drunk i dont know what i am doing blackout its called

in blackout i can do anything and everything as i have no control at all of my thoughts or emotions so if something seems like a good idea drunk as a skunk well there is nothng in my mind to say its not so off i go and do it
like drop my trousers ro shout rude words to upset people or end up telling people what i really think about them etc

it all made so much sense to me as it fits me like a glove, then they went on to tell me how this illness progresses within us and in time we end up drinking everyday

they go on to talk about there emotions being sober and its really mind blowing stuff, the selfish nature of an alcoholic how its all about me me me

there are many drinking pattens i dont identify with as they didn't drink like me, nor seemed to end up in the mess i was in but there are plenty of people who did so i got that identification and i had found the help i needed in aa

so i would offer up aa as a place for you to look into try a few different type of meetings as the ones that helped me the most were the meetings were people talked about what the drink had done to them in my early days they were what saved me i believe

anyway good look to you

edit
i wish of course i could of said it all ended happy ever after and i never drank again even though i did manage to stay stopped for 15 years and i then tried drinking once more, in those 15 years i never once ended up in a police cell or made a fool out of myself i had built up respect again and had my own small business with a wife and 5 kids

when i picked up the drink again within 8 years i had lost it all, ended up in prison, my whole life a huge mess and my 2 youngest kids ended up in social services care

i found aa again and this time been sober for almost 11 years, got my kids back out of care within my first year of being sober and been a single parent dad for the last nine years working and decent money coming in

sadly one of my young lads died aged just 16 from stomach cancer, i had to care for him around the clock and watch him die and suffer but i never once wanted or needed a drink

so aa works
Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us xDoll. I felt so much better when I knew I was no longer alone. You can do this.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome dollface. I am also binge drinker that loses control of my actions and words after I cross a certain threshold. I have fought family, friends, and strangers in blackouts. It took me a while to realize I was not just a binge drinker but an alcoholic. I have been arrested 5 times and been in the ER at least 5 times. I wasn't always an angry and aggressive drunk but as my tolerance rose, I needed more and more booze to get drunk. That's when I started to drink until blackout.

Good for you in addressing your drinking now. U have your whole life ahead of you.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Glad to have you on board.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, i am a binge drinker too and drink to get very drunk, i also say and do things i would never sober and for days i cringe, shudder and want to hide, sometimes i don't even know what i have said and done, but still have a feeling of something terrible happened.

Good luck x
Old 01-03-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by Getagrip View Post
Welcome, i am a binge drinker too and drink to get very drunk, i also say and do things i would never sober and for days i cringe, shudder and want to hide, sometimes i don't even know what i have said and done, but still have a feeling of something terrible happened.

Good luck x
I am also a fellow binger.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you are here!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! Things can and will get better with sobriety. You never have to feel his bad again! You can to do it! :-)