Notices

How well did you "hide" it

Old 01-03-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How well did you "hide" it

Iike in a work setting. Myself, I am a member of a labor union. I am active and was selected to become a trainer. I was flown to headquarters for a week of training. Well with my age I was the youngest by far so I spent the week at night in my room drinking I drank so much every night then drank two bottles of water before bed two when I got up followed by a redbull.... I was proud o my system back then now i laugh at the efforts I put in to drinking alone in a hotel room in a city. Worst part looking back is I nailed the training. I delivered the best out of anyone. I was good. Maybe I should have bombed or overslept maybe that would have been a wake up call but I sure could get it done every day and drink every night......
Old 01-03-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have to take off for a training tomorrow my first since quitting. Of course the other trainers want to "meet in the bar" tomorrow night to go over course work. I got this i feel good about it. This is why staying out of alcohol serving establishments can't work for me too many conflicts with my job but I'm good. I'll get it done. I just keep telling myself.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think I ever hid it well at work. Hence, my co-workers telling each other that they smelled like they drank the night before, or looked hungover, but never a word to me about it. I have to assume that I just looked like hell and smelled like booze most days, so mentioning it was pointless.

A kid I work with (21, maybe 22) was so hungover on NYD that he could barely function. I asked him the next day (jan. 2) how he felt. He said he got "like, 4 hours of sleep" and he felt great! lol I remember being able to drink myself stupid, then shake it off by the next afternoon. Nowadays, a hangover like that would stick with me for 3 days!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Throughout these couple of months I've asked many people I worked with about my drinking and none of them said they thought twice about it.... We'd always meet in the bar for a few at whatever hotel we were at after training it is scary how well I did my job. I would be lying if I said I don't have a little fear about this week. I never did the classes under the influence but the nightly and morning routine was always the same now it isn't going to be...
Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just imagine how you could succeed in sobriety!!
Old 01-03-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If I put as much strategic effort into my career, as I did to hide my drinking, I might have won a Noble Prize or something.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Treat yourself to something that you would otherwise be spending on drunking. Getting that ribeye instead of sirloin... or getting desert when you wouldn't... or an in room movie or heck even room service. Last time I went on training it was in New Orleans... we all got trashed each night. Conference classes didnt start until 10 am each day so it only encouraged us to stay out later and drink more.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember showing up for work still drunk from the night out (the bars in my city don't have to close). The reason it was OK is my boss had been with me. Of course it wasn't ok, but I was being stupid.

Business trips usually led to me drinking alone in my room or hotel bar. I've seen highly successful people give great presentations after drinking before the meeting. The problem is this behavior is not sustainable. Our bodies and minds will deteriorate.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought I hid it well for years..then one day I didn't