Notices

A plan!!

Old 01-03-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A plan!!

I keep reading posts saying you will drink again if you don't have a (plan) but no one explains there concept of a plan. It's a bit frustrating to keep hearing you need a plan with no explanation of what ones plan is.

Could some of you give me examples of your plans!!
Old 01-03-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My plan can be found in full detail by reading the Big Book of AA and getting a sponsor to work the steps.

My plan also includes;

Keep my head in recovery EVERY DAY

Changed my habits - going out to bars, activities and events revolving around alcohol minimized or eliminated. Began exploring new activities and connecting with new people whose lives didn't center on booze and drugs.

Counseling - working with my therapist every other week on my issues of life. Anxiety? Sadness? Anger? Parenting? Forgiveness? Childhood trauma? Got em all. A counselor helps me build skills and talk out my issues that come from being human so that I learn to cope with them instead of trying to drink them away.

Exercise. Running, skiing, the gym.... At least 3x per week. Up to daily whenever possible.

Healthy nutrition. Because a healthy body craves more healthy inputs and a healthy diet fosters healthy choices.

Daily reflection and gratitude. No matter how lousy I feel I always find at least One Good Thing every single morning - because one good thing leads to another.

AA
Old 01-03-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

A recovery plan for example might include AA AVRT Group therapy Concelling - its what you will do to stay sober rather than rely on willpower alone

You can also read this and print it off http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

Build your plan with lots of diffrent tools my friend
Old 01-03-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.

My plan that has worked for me for a lot of years is many AA meetings to help guide me to take the sober path in life. I’m not saying this undisciplined person liked or embraced them but when I completed them I felt a great accomplishment.
Being a typical alcoholic for example I dreaded the idea of standing in front of a bunch of strangers giving my experience, strength and hope, even after a lot of encouragement. I call it self centered fear.
Circumstances one night caused me to do it and it turned out to be a great experience even if I was shaking and shivering. We in general are not public speakers and it did take awhile to get used to.

Over the years I felt much better doing things I at first didn’t want to do.

I think it’s called change.

BE WELL
Old 01-03-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Make a list of things to do instead of drinking
Another list of how to Urge Surf
What to do when in sticky situations
What to do at the bewitching hour (that time you used to drink)

Read, journal, talk to someone, come to SR, watch out for being hungry, angry, lonely, or tired and maybe if you have physical pain....

Write what you want to accomplish, lists of chores/tasks you've avoided.....

Plan what you will do instead of drinking.

Rational Recovery, AVRT, SMART, Life Ring, SOS, AA all have their own websites!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My 'plan' was more of a mindset than anything else. Or the "big plan" as discussed in AVRT. I made decision to never drink again and never change my mind. So no matter what, no matter how I was feeling or whatever triggers I had to drink, I reminded myself that I will never drink again. It's a strong commitment. And if it required logging on to SR to take my mind off things or to reset myself, that's what I did. I avoided any and all situations that would allow me - put me in a situation - to drink. Sure it is not always easy. But if your resolve to stop is stronger than your desire to drink, you will not drink. That's the bottom line.

The biggest thing about finally saying that, "I will never drink again..." is that it is liberating and a relief from the anxiety that accompanies the thought of wanting to drink. Or missing it. I held a ceremony of sorts. Call it doing a 'third step' if you want. Similar to what I did in the black canyon. I dove underwater for a stone from the river bed. I carried it with me and meditated. Said a prayer and threw that stone back into the deep part of the river where it will never be found again. I did the same thing again when I decided to give up drinking for good. I found a 'worry stone' and carried it with me for several days. Then I took it to a stream and tossed it into a deep pool. That was it for me. It was my version of the AA step 3. I adopted a Lakota prayer for this.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I ascribe to the "big plan" of AVRT ( found Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information but aside from that, accounting for all hours of the day with a plan B if my environment gets too chaotic. I am so grateful for the implied "plan" (I felt the same exactly at first)as it goaded me to thinking about me and planning. I had to find mine. Of course not drinking but what else can I do to challenge myself and stay foreward moving. So far quitting smoking and exercising have become part of my daily plan in 6+ months among other things. Self-awareness and alternate coping strategies are where I'm at right now but in the first week it was just eating and sleeping right. It's evolving--yours will too. Best Wishes.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here are some things I did:

Not drinking no matter how bad the cravings are--have several things pre-planned and ready "to do" to occupy self when having extreme cravings like novel already started, journal to write on, old movies I liked to watch, and gym membership.

Self-care involving exercise, stretching, and meditation or prayer if that is more to your liking.

Time in nature to walk and reflect.

Started playing / learning guitar again after thirty years away. Productive hobby is great!

Excellent quality food as well as non-alcoholic beverages like herbal tea and hot chocolate.

Plenty of sleep and lots of showers and baths to relax myself before bed.

No mixing with drinking friends or going to drinking places at least for a good while until sobriety is firmly established.

Quality nutrition and hydration--cooking for myself and getting to be an excellent cook so that I can still enjoy fine food without exposure to drinking.

Exercise when upset or stressed, positive input, and giving back by helping support people face to face in their lives and also here on SR

A positive attitude that everything is a learning experience and looking for the best in things, people, and situations.