Notices

So bummed

Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So bummed

This Holiday season was brutal. Going to parties where everyone is lit is fun for about 10 minutes. Every minute past 10pm just drags. I try so hard to enjoy being there, but it is getting more difficult. My wife loves to go out until 2 & 3 am, I hate it now. I 'm not going to start drinking, but the countless weekend drinking & dancing thing is getting so old! I don't think there is an answer.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

You should find some things that you like to do sober and ask your wife to do them with you. My best friend used to be my party buddy, and she still goes out most weekends. I just don't go with her because you're right, it sucks. Now we do sober things together like hike or go out for dinner, or sometimes brunch (which is so much more awesome when you aren't hung over). So it's not nearly as wild and crazy as it used to be, but I'm happier, and she still gets to go out if she wants to. Maybe you and your wife can work out something like that. Changing stuff like this is part of getting sober, but I feel you, it's hard. Wish you the best!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with briar - talk to your wife and let her know how you feel.

Maybe you can do sober things together...or maybe you can take two cars so you can leave things when you want...or maybe sometimes, not go at all??

D
Old 01-02-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I talked to my wife and she agreed to go 100% no alcohol. It's been amazing.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
This Holiday season was brutal. Going to parties where everyone is lit is fun for about 10 minutes. Every minute past 10pm just drags. I try so hard to enjoy being there, but it is getting more difficult. My wife loves to go out until 2 & 3 am, I hate it now. I 'm not going to start drinking, but the countless weekend drinking & dancing thing is getting so old! I don't think there is an answer.
I certainly wouldn't be happy with my significant other drinking and partying until 3 am while I was sober so I think the first step would be to talk about it and try to find balance. I actually destroyed a marriage because I couldn't stop partying and my spouse didn't really drink - clearly, I still had a lot of growing up to do. You hear single people talk about how marriage, settling down, etc. is boring, dull, whatever...but what I have found is that the perpetual partying, bar-hopping, night life is what is truly dull/boring. Maybe you could find some new, more meaningful activities to enjoy together...
Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I wouldnt go at all if i didnt want to

Suggest other things to do with gf away from partyrockin untill 2-3am like a nice romantic meal or a night at the flicks a night at the theatre

Have a chat with gf that would be best
Old 01-03-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the advice. This was my first Christmas season sober and clearly I need to make some adjustments. Happy new year to all!!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree with what everyone else said. For a while, I really enjoyed the late party sober. Why? I felt great that no matter what time I came home, six hours later I was 100% productive and active. Wake up, six mile run, breakfast and a load of laundry - all before anybody woke. My ego felt great
Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm having kind of the same issue right now but not... Because I was an embarrassment while drinking lol, my wife started going out with her sisters and left me home to get drunk alone. Now that I'm sober I have no interest in "going out" even though I wouldn't be invited anyways but she refuses to give it up. Now mind you I'm not asking her to give it up when I'm working or out of town fine, get out of the house, but she's still leaving me home alone and enjoying her partying.... Its like she's completely oblivious to the changes in trying to make and how the old arrangement doesn't work for me anymore. When I've tried to suggest alternatives she scoffs at them as going to the bar is the only thing she wants to do....