Notices

Alcohol Tapering to Quit

Old 01-02-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Tapering to Quit

I thought I was far enough in recovery to just "taper" off with beer for three days then quit. I even got to two days completely free of alcohol. I've been sober for two months, so it should be easy after only a week long binge.

However what I didn't do is consult a doctor about my decision to "taper". Well long story short, I was at work today and noticed my hands shaking. I thought I "beat the man" by avoiding the doctor. Why are my hands shaking?

Well tapering didn't work.

After going to a walgreens and checking my blood pressure/heart rate, I was immediately terrified to see that my heart rate was 115, and my blood pressure was at 178/102.

I then immediately left work, called my doctor, and was completely honest. She then said "you need to get here now". She saw me as soon as I was able to get there, and told me to get Librium prescription filled asap. This is a GP doctor who doesn't even specialize in addiction. The doctor I usually see was "filled up" until late January.

So right now as I sit here, my heart rate is a cool crisp 73 beats per min and blood pressure is 129/80. (I'm an overweight alcoholic who hasn't eaten in three days so it's not perfect.)

That my friends, is the way to get clean in my opinion. If you can taper good for you, but man it's impossible for me.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Benzos suck admittedly, but they are nothing compared to the horror of alcohol withdrawal. I'm slow, groggy, confused, but I'm safe. And that's the key.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

don't ever drink again justin, you can do this
Old 01-02-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah it's simple right: just quit. I have made up my mind after this. I have just went through the worst week of my life. I'm actually taking that last bottle, peeling off all the alcohol labels and framing it in my man room. I am pretty sure this last week is what hell is like.

I plan on posting about it when my head gets clear, but don't want to wine much.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm surprised you went the taper route after seeing Drs all the other times Justin?

but yeah it didn't work for me either.

D
Old 01-02-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

double post

Old 01-02-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Those libbies do work for withdrawals. I used to have them for a bit, I did appreciate them anyway. They work. I preferred it to 'gradually trying to drink a little less each night for a while', which can go either way.

All the best
Old 01-02-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm surprised you went the taper route after seeing Drs all the other times Justin?
I have drank like 10 times since May. I thought I could handle it and not have bad withdrawal. I was wrong. It cost me a grand total of like $40 to get medicine and do it the right way. Totally worth it.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you, Justin! Best wishes!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteveyEire View Post
Those libbies do work for withdrawals. I used to have them for a bit, I did appreciate them anyway. They work. I preferred it to 'gradually trying to drink a little less each night for a while', which can go either way.

All the best
I went from a fifth of rum/whatever hard whiskey of the day to 3 beers and it didnt do squat for me. It oddly seemed to delay withdrawals rather than make them less severe. The librium 2 25mg pills and I change from feeling literally like I will die to normal or maybe tired.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
double post

lol
Old 01-02-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you got some help at the doctor, Justin. Hope you feel much better soon!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

so glad you saw your doctor for safe detoxing!!!!!

Best decision Ev-vah!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk
Old 01-02-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well I hope this is the last time.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Medical detox is the only way to go! I don't understand why/how people try and cold turkey or taper. Glad to hear you got Librium and probably a taper schedule from your Dr. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tapering does not work for most of us. It just prolongs the misery. After my last binge I had to call my doctor and he called in a script for the old Librium taper. Yea, I have been to him several times for the same thing over the years. I'm sure my welcome is running thin with him. The good news is....once you're finished with the Lib's, you don't have to do this to yourself anymore. I doubled up on my effort to control the beast in my head. I get my life back and the beast gets squat!! Justin, just keep remembering how you felt when the shaking started...the next time it will be worse...you can count on it! Best wishes to you.
  # 18 (permalink)  

No alcohol taper. Just take librium like prescribed. It's not that hard. The hardest part is realizing that in two days when you're off the librium, you have to have a plan in place that keeps you sober. In my opinion of course.

Librium makes it difficult when you have a mentally draining job. Writing software at the hardest place in Missouri is difficult in and of itself. Writing software there while taking benzos is extremely difficult. Just checking email is draining.
  # 19 (permalink)  

Tapering does not work for most of us. It just prolongs the misery. After my last binge I had to call my doctor and he called in a script for the old Librium taper. Yea, I have been to him several times for the same thing over the years. I'm sure my welcome is running thin with him. The good news is....once you're finished with the Lib's, you don't have to do this to yourself anymore. I doubled up on my effort to control the beast in my head. I get my life back and the beast gets squat!! Justin, just keep remembering how you felt when the shaking started...the next time it will be worse...you can count on it! Best wishes to you.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No alcohol taper. Just take librium like prescribed. It's not that hard. The hardest part is realizing that in two days when you're off the librium, you have to have a plan in place that keeps you sober. In my opinion of course.

Librium makes it difficult when you have a mentally draining job. Writing software at the hardest place in Missouri is difficult in and of itself. Writing software there while taking benzos is extremely difficult. Just checking email is draining.