Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I'm ashamed to have to post that I'm starting over with sobriety

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have relapsed many times, but I think this time I'll be able to get it right. New Years morning something terrible happened to me that is giving me a new and very scary and real reason to stop drinking. I had alcohol poisoning. One minute, I was taking a shot, and the next thing I remember is it being 4am and in the Emergency room with tubes in my nose, down my throat, and other places. Apparently I lost consciousness, vomited and it went to my lungs and wasn't breathing. The thought of me almost losing my life is scary. I don't remember any of it except waking up in the ER. This is the best thing that could happen to scare me into making into making quitting drinking my New Years resolution. I complain about my life and life problems all the time, but all those things don't matter when you think about how life could go at anytime. I'm not ready to die and apparently God wasn't ready for me to either. I need advice and not judgment please :-) thank you!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No judgement here. Do you have a plan in place to get and stay sober? A support system at home? Tell us a bit about what you have tried, what you are going to try and maybe we can help.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking is a great New Years resolution, Jim. What are you going to do to make it happen? As Sprout says, you need a plan. Welcome back to SR.!
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back after such a close call.
Unfortunately this moment can be a good remember when moment when you think “It wasn’t that bad, I’ll only have one, I’ll only do………… and on and on.”

Your wake up call isn’t talked about enough as It’s not uncommon and a horrible way to go.
The simple solution is don’t have the first drink one day at a time in a row so we don’t have to TRY to get sober AGAIN.

BE WELL
  # 5 (permalink)  

Relapses happen unfortunately. Sorry your experience was so severe and frightening for you. Main thing is that you're alive and you're here on this sight. Don't be ashamed. None of us are perfect. Stick around...move forward. Nothing can change what happened but, you are obviously here for a reason xx
Old 01-02-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No judgement, looks like you got the message. A good kick in the arse is sometimes the best motivator - welcome and best of luck!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love that post IA002
Old 01-02-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry IOAA2.... Late here
Old 01-02-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are safe and sound JM. My drinking realky crept up and caused me some bad problems toward the end too, it did for most of is - so you will find understanding, not judgement. You mentions that you think you will get it right this time....do you have a specific plan as to how you'll go about it? If not there is a lot of experience here to help you out. I would guess the ER may have given you some info on local resources too ?
Old 01-02-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I do have a support system, but also the fact that I don't remember the whole ordeal is definitely going to keep me from drinking. Obviously as an alcoholic, I dont have a limit to drinking, so I just won't. I'm too scared of dying. I know I'm going to really be relying on sober recovery more, and staying busy with work.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

JM, I'm sorry that happened to you, but it sounds like it has been a positive message. I was so afraid for my health when I stopped drinking that it gave me the motivation to get through the early days. We're here for you.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're posting!
There are a ton of great meetings in MS - maybe it's time to consider some f2f support as well as SR.

I read a few of your threads and loneliness/boredom is common for many of us. Perhaps adding something to SR might be helpful?

Good time to do it as many newcomers walk into rooms this time of year

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 01-02-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have had a few close calls myself. Was in the ER last Christmas. Still have nightmares about it. Some people just cannot drink without dire consequences. I didn't tell anyone close to me that it was a drunken accident. I looked up a therapist right away cuz I needed to talk to someone. I think I may have PTSD from the incident so I know how scared u must be.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so glad you are ok! You're right! Maybe God has bigger plans for you. Let this be your bottom. It doesn't get much worse than a "near-death" experience....except actually dying. :-(

But truly....I'm so glad you are ok. Do you have a plan for the future? To stay sober?

We alcoholics have great "forgetters". Nothing changes if nothing changes. I am rooting for you! I know you can do this!!! This can be the first day of the rest of your life...a wonderful life! :-)
Old 01-02-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am so glad you are ok! You're right! Maybe God has bigger plans for you. Let this be your bottom. It doesn't get much worse than a "near-death" experience....except actually dying. :-(

But truly....I'm so glad you are ok. Do you have a plan for the future? To stay sober?

We alcoholics have great "forgetters". Nothing changes if nothing changes. I am rooting for you! I know you can do this!!! This can be the first day of the rest of your life...a wonderful life! :-)
Old 01-02-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Something is wrong with the website! Why does it keep showing my posts twice? I know it's not because you need to read it twice! Or IS it? Haha. Just kidden. But seriously....I hope they fix the problem soon. Sorry! :-)
Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

glad to hear you are AOK today and wanting to change this.
Scary scary
Old 01-02-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

that is some scary crap
So sorry to hear you started 2015 off like that, but hopefully it gives you the motivation and incentive to really get and stay sober.
Glad you are ok
Old 01-02-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by jmbrandon87 View Post
Obviously as an alcoholic, I dont have a limit to drinking, so I just won't. I'm too scared of dying.
A lot of us have had scares like yours, some even worse. They absolutely "scare you sober" in the immediate days following the incident. As hard as it is to believe right now, many people do return to drinking after the initial "scare"wears off. That's why it is crucial to have a plan in place so you don't let your addiction talk you back into it again. Glad to hear you plan on spending more time here on SR, don't rule out local support either.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Jm