Notices

Bugger it! I'm an alcoholic

Old 01-01-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chances

Bugger it! I'm an alcoholic

Only on day 2 of this HSM gig and already thinking maybe a month will do. The mind and it's tricks.
Never really accepted it before and deluded myself into thinking I just love beer but really the excuses are the proof.
If I go 1 month, 3 months or even twelve the result of a beer will be beer day every day. I'll know I'll never learn to be a moderate drinker.

As a devout atheist and a conservative person there is no chance of me ending up at AA or any face to face group. I might consider a counsellor but ultimately I just need to harden up and grow on.

Whoever started this website / forum and all those who keep it afloat however need noble peace prizes. It's does breed confidence and strength reading about others who were suffering my fate or worse & who have prevailed. It's wonderful to see those people reaching back to help others as they push forward. So I suppose like all things it's time to count my blessing, harden my resolve and accept the great future that awaits if I can put in the strength to earn it - which I will.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ya**!

I had to google what the hell HSM meant. Coolio!

Welcome to our community Chance! Looking forward to seeing you around!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are many meeting based secular groups where atheism and conservatism should be no barrier - check out SMART Recovery and LifeRing for example

D
Old 01-01-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChancesAh View Post
Only on day 2 of this HSM gig and already thinking maybe a month will do. The mind and it's tricks.
Never really accepted it before and deluded myself into thinking I just love beer but really the excuses are the proof.
If I go 1 month, 3 months or even twelve the result of a beer will be beer day every day. I'll know I'll never learn to be a moderate drinker.

As a devout atheist and a conservative person there is no chance of me ending up at AA or any face to face group. I might consider a counsellor but ultimately I just need to harden up and grow on.

Whoever started this website / forum and all those who keep it afloat however need noble peace prizes. It's does breed confidence and strength reading about others who were suffering my fate or worse & who have prevailed. It's wonderful to see those people reaching back to help others as they push forward. So I suppose like all things it's time to count my blessing, harden my resolve and accept the great future that awaits if I can put in the strength to earn it - which I will.
Welcome,

It sounds like you've reached the same point I did in June. I accepted that to have a healthy and productive life ("normal life" I call it) the alcohol had to go. And that meant no drinking, ever. It was really hard at first but i slowly learned how removing the alcohol opened doors for me. The only thing I lost was embarrassing behavior, alienation of family and friends, hangovers, and declining health. It's actually easier not to drink than to to try moderate, which of course, we know doesn't work for us.

You have found a wonderful site. I am still amazed at the high level of positive and helpful discourse on here and what an outstanding job the moderators do of keeping each and every thread on-point and helpful. We all know what anonymity and the internet can do to people when they're hiding behind a screen! Read a CNN comment thread lately? All I can say is that this site gets an A+ for positivity and professionalism. Years ago I visited other sobriety forums that were full of cursing, name-calling, thread-hijacking, insults, flirting, you name it. This site is great and is the single most important tool in my sobriety. I check in here every day to remind me to stay the course.

One more thing: I was pretty angry for awhile that I was an alcoholic but as long as I don't drink I live a pretty normal life like non-alcoholics. I have to stay sober and use tools daily to keep me on track but I lead a "non-alcoholic" life when I don't drink. So, we're not really cursed or missing out on anything, we are just non-drinkers.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was in the same boat with AA. It was a little too religious for me, although check out a meeting or two just so try it. I spoke up at my first meeting which I didn't expect to do.

This site is a great resource, but of course you have to check here often. I enjoy this format over in-person meetings.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello people. I planned to give up drinking yesterday but failed on day one, it is just so difficult and alcohol is so obtainable.
I live alone and have no support so I drink as very lonely and suffer anxiety.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I avoided AA for many years because of the religion factor. I just started attending a month ago and besides the fact it's held in a church, there has been very little talk about anything to do with religion. I don't do the steps or have a sponsor but just sitting in a room with other alcoholics is comforting for me. I go once or twice a week, see a therapist, and come to this site. So I guess I need a variety of methods. Not sure if I will stay with AA but it really helped over the holiday season. Whatever works!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Hello people. I planned to give up drinking yesterday but failed on day one, it is just so difficult and alcohol is so obtainable.
I live alone and have no support so I drink as very lonely and suffer anxiety.
Welcome, Kaily.

Try again !

You're not alone, you have support now --us !!

We're here 24/7 x
Old 01-02-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. There are many paths. What is most important is the desire to quit.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chances

Thanks to all of you
Old 01-02-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Good for you ,Chances

This forum is a lifeline !