Notices

Today is the day!!!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the day!!!

Happy New Year All!

I have been ramping myself up for this and I know how cliché it is to have sobriety be your resolution, but I have been committed to making today the day. I will do it for my family but mostly I WILL DO IT FOR ME. I have been a reader here for a long time and after doing more research than I care to admit, I feel like I have a good base for my start on this long road. I read from some one that they 'stopped drinking and took what came' and that is the mantra that I will be using. I am a little scared of wd symptoms but I am more scared of not trying at all. I need to get a few things to do to keep my mind off the only thing my mind likes to think about! Any suggestions would be a great help!

Thank you all for being a part of this site.

Here I GO!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats Snowtown!
I am doing the same and very hopeful this site will help me through the challenging times.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You've found a great place to support your journey. If withdrawal develops into any serious symptoms, please seek out a doctor.

Happy new sober year!

Earlyriser
Old 01-01-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Snowton happy new year
Old 01-01-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was told to read and post a lot which has helped a lot. I was also advised to have a Plan. For me that has been meditating, walking and eating healthy foods, drinking lots of water. The meditation has helped me to just watch that Addicted Voice trying to convince me that I can drink once in a whle and eat crap food without going into a binge.

I did not have withdrawal symptoms but that is probably because my primary addiction is to food but if you fear that you might, please get medical attention, Snowtown.

Congratulations on the best decision you have ever made!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not cliche'... whatever works for you!

There is a link somewhere here about surfing the urges. Maybe you can doa search on it. And another one is 100 tips to stay sober. Sorry I don't have the links.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all!

Anewyear: I have been coming back to this place to read the posts for over a year, and from what I can see, this is one of the best places to start, people stay hear and you can see progress and success and every one seems so supportive when 'mistakes' are made.

Earlyriser: thank you, and the doctor will be notified if that happens. Also, I really like the quote picture you have!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

artfriend and inchworm: thanks for the tips, I will look for those links, I plan on being on here pretty much all day. Keeping the mind kind of off the urges! I have been reading a book about meditation and I would love to give it a go, if I ever get a quiet moment!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Snowtown! You already know you are in the right place, and how supportive this site is. I have these bookmarked, so here ya go

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 01-01-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

mikie9: happy new year and thank you very much!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are most welcome Snowtown, Happy New Year to you too! If you want it more than you want to drink, this will be the most amazing year of your life!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Snowtown!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hey Snowtown, it is perfectly natural to worry about withdrawal symptoms on a certain level but, think about the effects of long term abuse instead! I had a few sleepless nights etc but my body was performing better in general within 2 weeks or so.

You will be fine, believe in your own mental strength and things will take a turn for the better soon.
Be safe, seek medical advice if you feel unwell and live strong, live true.. Be you.
Stuart.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Stoogy,

I am not really worried about wd, I am aware of it and I have researched what to be on the look out for. I am mostly concerned about that fear of not having 'just one' in the house. (I got rid of everything and it's New Years so nothing is open, I did it today on purpose!) That fear of, OMG there's none here, what am I going to do!! But I am committed to this TODAY, I think that's all I can do for now right??
Old 01-01-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on your decision to pursue sobriety
Old 01-01-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
Hey Snowtown, it is perfectly natural to worry about withdrawal symptoms on a certain level but, think about the effects of long term abuse instead! I had a few sleepless nights etc but my body was performing better in general within 2 weeks or so.

You will be fine, believe in your own mental strength and things will take a turn for the better soon.
Be safe, seek medical advice if you feel unwell and live strong, live true.. Be you.
Stuart.
Do you take vitamin supplements to help? I keep reading about alcohol depleting b vitamins.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

If quitting drinking as a New Year's resolution is a cliche then every New Year's resolution is a cliche. This is about you and what you want. Best of luck!
Old 01-01-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

anewyear: I have read that alcohol takes out a lot of vitamins, plus electrolytes like magnesium and potassium, and thiamin, I take a super b complex and I like to get mag and potassium from veggies and such, my personal preference. I think being healthy starts for us with no alcohol and the rest will come!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ok, so its about that time. Feeling a little anxious that I don't have my 'back up'! I am going to clean something I think! (I would take a walk but I live in a freaking ice box!)
Old 01-01-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowtown View Post
Ok, so its about that time. Feeling a little anxious that I don't have my 'back up'! I am going to clean something I think! (I would take a walk but I live in a freaking ice box!)
You are welcome to comeback after cleaning and get through this time with SR. I think we all "had a time" and fully understand it's power. I am here to tell you though that that time is no different than any other time, you have to experience it though to know it.

A good distraction my first day was sharing some of my plan, as well as some of my pain. It helped keep me focused on my goal through the dreaded time of day.