Notices

My start to sobriety

Old 01-01-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My start to sobriety

Hello, today is my first day to sobriety!
I am determined to put my wine days in the past. I have tried before with feeble attempts to always come up with a reason or situation to justify a glass of wine. (I told myself just cut back, drink less, but it doesn't work)
I started drinking at a young age (13) and would drink occasionally in HS. My true habit began from my first marriage when my husband would have cocktails nightly. I thought it was normal, never realizing I was forming a bad habit. I had three babies and never had an issue giving up wine then, but when I divorced ,I guess it put me over the edge. I began to have wine nightly ( stress, depression, fears.. Wanted to block it out.)and would try to not drink a few nights a week, but it was challenging. 12 years later it is a nightly ritual sitting on the couch ( would never drink and drive) having 3 to now 4 glasses of wine. I am now remarried and my husband supports what i need to do( he is not a big drinker). With now children that are teenagers, I'm embarrassed of myself and not setting a good example, plus I am not a nice person when I drink. ( told I am mean)
I am hoping this site helps me to get through the challenges I know I will face getting over the habit I have.
Does anyone have suggestions on vitamins to take to help?

Thanks and Happy anew Year!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good for you!
Glad you're here - Welcome!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! Looking forward to a new year sober!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy New Year!

This is my Day 1 as well, lets get to day 2 and I will check in to see how you do!
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Anewyear! Our stories are a bit similar - I was a heavy wine drinker after work and more on weekends. If you didn't eat especially poorly, you'll probably do good to eat a healthy variety of foods and drink plenty of water and herbal teas or juice.

Best wishes for your sober new beginning.

Earlyriser
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR is a wonderful place to get some love and support. I was told to read and post a lot and it really helped.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowtown View Post
Happy New Year!

This is my Day 1 as well, lets get to day 2 and I will check in to see how you do!
Thanks Snowtown! I will be checking in here a lot. My problematic time is the evening. Need to not sit on the couch and change my habits. Hoping exercising more can help
Old 01-01-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earlyriser View Post
Welcome Anewyear! Our stories are a bit similar - I was a heavy wine drinker after work and more on weekends. If you didn't eat especially poorly, you'll probably do good to eat a healthy variety of foods and drink plenty of water and herbal teas or juice.

Best wishes for your sober new beginning.

Earlyriser
Thanks earlyriser! I eat pretty well.(veggies/fruit/proteins) so I will focus on eating even better. Going to be reading and posting for sure. Gone is my denial that one day I could occasionally drink. I know I need to permanently rid myself of it to have a healthy and happy life for my future.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anewyear, I gave up the vino 5 days ago and it has been tough getting out of the routine.
I have been rationalizing all week saying just one glass or maybe two?
I know that if I start again the cycle will start again.
Try keep busy with exercise and chores it helped me over the last few days.
Just take one day at a time I think.
I am in the same situation as you are and just know you are not alone. SR really has helped me, and I have realized through reading these posts that I am not alone.
You can do it!
Old 01-01-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Alive soul! I appreciate your tips. I plan to go to the gym during my tough time(9-11pm) and go to bed earlier. Plus I'm not parking my butt on the couch watching tv. I'm going to stay busy!
Congrats to day 5! You are doing great and I can't wait to get there.