Notices

Haven't started and it's hard

Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chances

Haven't started and it's hard

I'm 41 and probably been drinking too much for 20 years - about 6 beers a night and a binge on average every week. In the last few months up to December I got up to 12 to 15 a day plus a binge of up to 30 once a week.

Tried to cut down in early December but that wasn't for me.

Decided to give up on New Years day so that was an excuse to go ballistic for the last 3 weeks of December.

I usually don't start drinking to about (5pm) now but I've been thinking about it and wanting to drink since I woke up.

Just read a few threads and it seems I can expect stress, no sleep, anxiety etc etc. Not even 24hours and I'm thinking this may be impossible.

Does anyone have any real tips or trips that might help be useful here.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and let me tell you it is possible and worth it. I drank everyday for years and didn't know how to get through one single evening without drinking. I check in here on this site EVERY day. Reading and posting keeps me constantly remembering why I stopped and why a healthy, normal life is only possible without alcohol in it.

In June I just had what I guess you would call a spiritual awakening because I could simply not do it one more day. The daily hangovers had become too much. I stopped June 27th and have been sober six months. Indulging in LOTS of sweet and comforting food helped me immensely the first few weeks.

Spend as much time and effort on sobriety as you did your drinking. It may be hours a day of reading but we find that we have tons of time on her hands when we stop.

I wish I could put into words how much better I feel physically and mentally after six months of sobriety. You will too.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome

Just read a few threads and it seems I can expect stress, no sleep, anxiety etc etc. Not even 24hours and I'm thinking this may be impossible.
It's really no worse than a life of heavy drinking - I felt like a sack of crap for the last few years of my drinking...

It is a shock to feel uncomfortable and not be able to reach for the old standby...but that will soon pass.

If you're really concerned see a Dr - they may be able to help with some of the symptoms, and give you a check up as well.

Support helps too, and you'll find a ton of that here.

The long you put off doing something about it, the harder it's going to get ChamcesAh.

D
Old 12-31-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Last edited by Dee74; 12-31-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chances

I think one of the worst parts of trying this is telling my greatest supporters and friends in life goodbye. I've managed only to maintain a few close friendships in recent years and all are drinkers. It's easy to say go make new friends but quite difficult for me.

..... I suppose however anything in life worth doing or having always costs pain and work. I've just got to convince myself that my strength and self worth from here can only ever to measured in sobriety.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chances

Thanks

I think one of the worst parts of trying this is telling my greatest supporters and friends in life goodbye. I've managed only to maintain a few close friendships in recent years and all are drinkers. It's easy to say go make new friends but quite difficult for me.

..... I suppose however anything in life worth doing or having always costs pain and work. I've just got to convince myself that my strength and self worth from here can only ever to measured in sobriety.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Real friends will support you doing something to better yourself, Chances

I lost a lot of drinking buddies but I was lucky enough to have a few really 24 karat friends. I re-connected with a lot of old ones too,. and - even tho I find making new friends very difficult - I somehow managed that too.

Try and remember tho - you live your life one day at a time - this is no different. It's human nature to think of all the problems and obstacles that may occur but they don't all happen at once, or need to be solved simultaneously

D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-01-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How did you get to be so wise Dee! Great words x
Old 01-01-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Il second that great advice D
Old 01-01-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I made a lot of mistakes GCG

D
Old 01-01-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I quit drinking five years ago and love living sober. It is hard at first but stick with it, the rewards are worth the effort.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi, Chances

Glad you found us.

I didn't think I could it do either after 38 years of drinking, but here I am, almost three months sober.

This forum is a huge support for me as well as AA.

There are lots of tips for recovery and cravings etc on the forum and on the net.

Welcome to the family !
Old 01-01-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Honestly other than the anxiety I felt worse at the end of my drinking than I did during even the first few days of withdrawal. Most of my friends are drinkers as well. I don't socialize much but I actually did much less drinking as I isolated at the end. Be well.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and please know you can do this. You don't have to figure out everything today, but you will be able to get through it.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here and posting!!

First things first! If you are ready - accepting you can't drink and willing to change - Get rid of all the Beer in your home!

Everyone is different, if you're anxious about anxiety it may become a self fulfilling prophecy. I had very little, and really more of feeling of relief in short order.

Face to face support helped me initially get on the right track, whatever works is the creed on SR - but that is my experience along with posting a lot here! Lot's of good people from around the globe

Maybe read some stories of recovery - helped me as well lay out a plan based on how others gained some sober time. These are from SR friend with at least one year of sobriety - it is possible!

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Keep coming back!